cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I may have just bricked my g751jy with 209 bios update

AQUASTEVAE
Level 8
hey,
any help here would be very much appreciated. i formatted my usb drive to fat32, and extracted the 209 bios onto it. i dl the bios right from the g751jy's asus site. booted into bios, went to advanced and started easy flash. chose the 209 bios, it started and asked if i wanted to flash the bios, clicked yes, it started erasing, and the screen went blank. now there seeems to be a boot loop where it keeps checking the dvd player. the screen is still completely blank, the lock icon on the far right side of indicator lights is lit, and so is the lightbulb icon on the far left. any ideas on how to unlock it, or get it to finish flashing the bios?
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11
25 REPLIES 25

ciccio80
Level 9
Sound like a bricked motherboard. Did you have the battery fully charged and the notebook plugged in?
Best to RMA it.

Corporal
Level 9
Some ideas to try out:
Hold the power button for 5 seconds
Spam escape button right after turning on

If that doesn't work, RMA it.
If you can't RMA for whatever reason, you can try taking out the BIOS battery.

AQUASTEVAE
Level 8
thanks for the effort guys. i have tried all of it, but nothing seems to work. so i am sending it in for rma. thank goodness i'm in america right now. this makes everything ten times easier. if i was out on some remote island, i would just be screwed.

it was fully charged, plugged in, used the same usb that i used to update to 208 bios, formatted to fat32, and did everything just like i always have. just a freak accident. don't really know what was the problem. i dl the 209 bios right off of the g751jy site. crazy crap. but asus rep was cool, and setup the rma, complete with free shipping both ways. so at least that was good.

never had any problems flashing a bios in my entire life. but sometimes crap happens.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11

oHOWEo
Level 7
Gutted for you, I used winflash but only because I couldn't get into bios, for some reason esc didn't work. I would of though flashing from bios is the safer option.

ciccio80
Level 9
MAke photos of the notebook BEFORE sending it in (sometimes repair shops scratch it while repairing it).
Best of luck with RMA. Let us know how long it takes so we have an idea ok?

Boxis
Level 7
Be happy, you may get motherboard with G-Sync 😄

Hi

I have a G751JL and I would like to run a BIOS Update to see if it fixes a similar bricking situation to the one you describe.
As far as I know I have not done anything to update the BIOS on the notebook yet.
I powered it on 2 days ago and all I got were some lights on the front of the keyboard turned on and a lit up backlit keyboard and a blank screen.
The notebook will not even POST.
I downloaded the 209 BIOS update from the Support page. Unzipped it. Put it on a USB stick and plugged the USB stick into a USB port.
I then held down Ctrl and Hold buttons and powered on the Notebook.
The light on the USB stick seems to flash a few times which would indicate to me that it at least is trying to run USB Flashback.
However after this the Notebook reboots and then I am back to the same situation.

Does what I tried to do to update the BIOS seem correct?
was I supposed to rename the unzipped *.bin file to something specific or just leave it as is?

Is the BIOS chip on this G751JL replaceable without desoldering?

Thanks for any replies...
Great Notebook, great benchmark results so far ... until it bricked.

Boxis wrote:
Be happy, you may get motherboard with G-Sync 😄

LOL if this would be true, there will be may more "bricked" G751's soon 😛

joshindaphils
Level 11
Sorry to hear about your new brick.

I find it far easier and safer to flash from the WinFlash tool, many people are confused and think the flashing is done in Windows this is not the case. It just sets up the flash. The big boost in reliability comes from keeping the BIOS image on your primary disk, this being far more reliable than your run of the mill USB stick and removes any possibility of accidental removal of the media (I would hope that is not a legit concern though).

Not saying this was your issue, just advising others on the more reliable method. In reality there is probably little to know difference.