cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46V Laptop Charger Question

JYoung
Level 7
So my laptop's power cord crapped out on me and I just want to hear from people who are accustomed to building machines about this dilemma.

The problem is that finding a laptop charger with 19V output is simple, but one with the exact specs of the charger provided with the laptop is nearly impossible apart from a genuine replacement from ASUS. I would have no problem buying one direct from ASUS, but before I buy anything, I need to know - what are the risks inherent to using a generic charger to power a specialty laptop with very specific power needs? After talking it over with Geek Squad at my local Best Buy, they recommended that I buy direct from ASUS as the laptop is pretty unique and has unique power needs as a result.

If it matters, specifically I have a HP model HSTNN-LA03 laptop charger available, which has similar specs to the original charger, but before I power it up with another charger plugged in I want to be sure it won't fry anything.
1 REPLY 1

InfernoStorm
Level 10
Buy a universal laptop adapter, you just need to make sure that wattage, voltage, and amperage is correct. I have a ASUS laptop and my adapter is 90W, 19V and 4.74A. I use a universal adapter (Cooler Master USNA 95) at home and it works.

So based on your HP adapter, your ASUS laptop adapter uses 180W, 19V, and 9.5A? I think that's going to be very hard to find a universal laptop adapter with those specs. You're probably better off to look for an OEM adapter on Ebay for your laptop model. I don't think ASUS laptop and HP have the same plug?

Cheers.