Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Help! Spilled coffee over my G751JT!

Hello guys!

So I spilled a good 2-300 ml of warm coffee over the bottom side of my laptop. Even though the liquid only spilled to the mouse pad, space bar and the first line of keys over the space bar, keys like p, enter, don't work anymore, while keys like m, v, so just over the area where the coffee made contact, work fine. Keys that are no longer working are space, enter, left control, windows key, up and down arrows, p, and n. So quite random if you ask me. (Not to forget the mouse pad, with which I can still move the mouse around but the click does not work -not on the touch pad nor the left and right click buttons..)
    I think I made a big mistake by turning my laptop off immediately but turning it on again to see if it worked.. then I got a blue screen with a sad face and this text: "your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you." Error code "memory_management. I should mention I am running windows 8.1. The error collecting process got to 100% fairly quickly, then got stuck at100% for about 15th minutes, then shut down.

My questions for you guys are:
    *can it be only a keyboard/TouchPad issue? Need to mention the laptop seems to be working fine -I turned it on once again after the blue screen event and I couldn't see any other issues - except the keys and touch pad not working.
    *if I go with it to an authorised service, will it still void my warranty? I got a 2 year warranty that does not include accidents such as spills, but I still got over 1 year and an half of it, and I want to know if by spilling liquid on the laptop, is it automatically rendered void?

TL; DR: spilled coffee over keyboard, laptop seems to work fine but some keys + touch pad not working at all.can it be a keyboard only issue? Is my warranty rendered void just because I spilled liquid on it?

Thank you guys in advance for any ideas you may have before I go to an authorized Asus service place and sorry for the long post.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Turn off your laptop (5 seconds on the power button) and take it apart immediately. Don't worry, your warranty is void already. Plug out the power cord from the battery, take out the components and dry them, clean the stains with alcohol.

Don't let yourself be fooled by the laptop seeming working again. It may die on you unexpectedly after a few hours of use, when the water gets further down.
    Last edited by Corporal; 09-02-2015 at 11:22 PM.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Did you register for ASUS ADP when you bought the laptop? As long as I remember we're offered 1 year of ASUS ADP atleast in US.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal View Post
    Turn off your laptop (5 seconds on the power button) and take it apart immediately. Don't worry, your warranty is void already. Plug out the power cord from the battery, take out the components and dry them, clean the stains with alcohol.

Don't let yourself be fooled by the laptop seeming working again. It may die on you unexpectedly after a few hours of use, when the water gets further down.
    I let it dry over night and now I turned it on again to back up my files before bringing it to a service. I do not have the tools nor the skills to take it apart on my own I called Asus and the guy there didn't know what to tell me, just to send it to service. I was just wondering if there would still be a chance for only the keyboard/touch pad to be broken, not the motherboard or graphics card and so on..

Thanks a lot for the quick response!!

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by vempatyappu View Post
    Did you register for ASUS ADP when you bought the laptop? As long as I remember we're offered 1 year of ASUS ADP atleast in US.
    No, I am from Romania and sadly, here you only get a standard warranty of 2 years

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by blueyurble View Post
    I let it dry over night and now I turned it on again to back up my files before bringing it to a service.
    If you were able to back up your files, your components aren't broken. Be aware that the service might try to "sell" you a new mainboard, even though your old one isn't broken.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array navis995's Avatar

You literally need just a screw driver that fits the holes. You're telling me you don't have screwdrivers in your home?
    Asus Rog G750JZ
    Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.0Ghz @ -70mV)
    GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +70Mhz Core, +400Mhz Memory @ 1.000V)
    RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
    Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
    Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
    Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
    Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

As others suggested i would disassemble it immediately clean every component with alcohol flush the keyboard with alcohol and let everything dry 90 percent of the time that will fix it.
    3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by aeolisio View Post
    As others suggested i would disassemble it immediately clean every component with alcohol flush the keyboard with alcohol and let everything dry 90 percent of the time that will fix it.
    Just to add, I recommend letting it dry overnight just to be 100% safe. Alcohol can get in between things that makes it take longer to dry than anticipated.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array navis995's Avatar

Not if you get the alcohol that's actually meant for cleaning. That one evaporates almost immediately after you use it.
    Asus Rog G750JZ
    Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.0Ghz @ -70mV)
    GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +70Mhz Core, +400Mhz Memory @ 1.000V)
    RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
    Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
    Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
    Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
    Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast