cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutdown issue: Q-Code 04

bouncing_noobs
Level 7
Hi, any help would be appreciated.

Everytime I shutdown the computer through Windows it completes the shutdown progress circle, exits the blue screen, and hangs on a black screen. The temperature rises from 44 degrees or so (visible on the OC panel) to somewhere in the low 50's and the system hangs. It never shuts down. Every time it experiences a 10 degree temperature increase and hangs at a black screen until I manually power down the machine by holding the front power button for 5 seconds.

The Q-Code is typically 04, although I have seen an 03 Q-Code.

When I reboot, it says overclock failed and I have to press F1 on the splash screen to enter BIOS and update the settings.

I can then use the computer completely stably, as normal, and until I attempt to shutdown.

This was happening for months, and I just dealt with it because the system was stable when booted. Then I started to have the same issue when I would attempt to put the computer to sleep - it would rise 10 degrees and fail to engage sleep. I dealt with it, but the processor gave up the ghost and blue screened constantly.

I just received a brand new 5960x replacement chip from Intel, and if I don't up the cache multiplier too much, I can sleep just fine, but the same issue is happening with shutdown. I cannot shutdown the computer.

I have tried clearing the CMOS, loading optimized defaults, updating to latest BIOS, switching to B Bios, removing all peripherals except keyboard and mouse.

Can anyone help please?
16 REPLIES 16

Hopper64
Level 15
List all your hardware for everyone to review.
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

bouncing_noobs
Level 7
Asus Rampage V Extreme
Intel 5960x
Corsair H105
64GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 2133 Mhz RAM (F4-2133C15Q2-64GRR)
Nvidia Titan X
2 x 250GB Samsung EVO 840 in Intel RAID-0
Pioneer BDR-209DBK-KIT 16X Blu-ray Writer Drive
Level 10GT Case Snow Edition
IBM Model M13 Keyboard into PS2
ROCCAT KONE Pure Military Mouse

Edit (I almost forgot):
ThunderboltEX II card

Nate152
Hello bouncing_noobs

Nice rig !

The overclocking failed message points to an unstable system and is usually caused by the ram.

Reset to defaults and try raising the vccsa/cpu system agent voltage and vccio voltage to 1.15v, let everything else on auto and see if things are any better.

bouncing_noobs
Level 7
Hi Nate!

Thanks, I am really trying to love this rig, but so far there has just been a lot of problems.

In any case, I have tried your suggestions and they are unsuccessful.

At the Overclock Failed splash screen, I press F1. I then zero out the settings by loading optimized defaults (F5) and leave everything on Auto except CPU System Agent Volltage, VCCIO CPU, and VCCIO PCH which I set to 1.15V. I press F10 to Save and Exit and instead of shutting off it just hangs at a black screen. After too long of a wait I hold the front power button down for 5 seconds and reboot. I arrive back at the overclock failed splash screen and I press F1 to enter BIOS. All of the settings I set still appear in BIOS.

In fact, I have found the only way for me to update BIOS settings reliably in a way that resets and doesn't hang on a black screen is to use the Asus EZ Tuning Wizard, which will reset the system and keep the BIOS settings. It restarts right away like it should and from there I can hit DELETE on the reboot and enter whatever clock speed I want and the system runs reliably. It ran Real Bench for an hour last night on Auto everything and 1.25V CPU Core Voltage with a 45 core multiplier on a 100 Backstrap with 1.25V Core Cache and 45x cache multiplier set. It froze this morning trying to put it to sleep, so I removed the cache overclock and it slept fine.

It won't shut off though. Hence this post. I ran for too long like that before and frankly something is wrong. Now that I have a new 5960x from Intel, I want to resolve this crazy issue and I certainly don't want to burn this chip up.

Also, I forgot to mention, I have the Asus ThunderboltEX II card in the machine as well.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

The Overclocking Failed message is being shown because of improper shutdown. Full clear the motherboard's UEFI and test with a fresh base install of the operating system on a spare drive.

bouncing_noobs
Level 7

Quick notes:

Pulled ThunderboltEX II card to remove potential variable
Switched back to BIOS A
BIOS A is running Version 1601 (Bios B was original much earlier BIOS)
Cleared CMOS Battery
Ran F1 Setup
F5 Loaded Optimitzed Defaults
Switched from AHCI to Raid

And...it booted right into Windows. As a test, I attempted to put it to sleep a few times and on the second time I tried to put it to sleeep temps rose to 60 degrees and the system hung at a black screen.

Q-Code 03

I held the front power button down for 5 seconds and rebooted.

This time it didn't say overclock failed. Spammed DELETE Key.
Verfied BIOS settings remained unchanged. F5, Loaded optimized defaults again (made sure AHCI to RAID was selected)
F10 - You have not made any changes to the BIOS settings.

Settings are accepted without hanging at black screen.

Windows loads. Windows 10 is running.

I go to the start menu and Shutdown Windows.

The system hangs at a black screen, this time temps on the OC panel stay in the mid 40s.

Q-Code 04

I held the power button down for 5 seconds and rebooted.

It boots into Widows (blue screen offering repair or restart - I choose restart) It boots into Windows.

Changes? It at least appears to boot on BIOS A at this moment on factory defaults (accept AHCI -> RAID) without saying Overclock Failed after it enevitably freezes on sleep or shutdown at the present moment. This may change again.

I am going to update to the freshly released BIOS 1701 and I will report back.

@Praz will updating to BIOS 1701 constitute fully clearing the UEFI? Just how do I do that?

Chino
Level 15
1. Clear your CMOS.
2. Download the BIOS file and unzip it onto a freshly FAT32 formatted pendrive.
3. Update the BIOS through the EZ Flash Utility in the BIOS.

bouncing_noobs
Level 7
Update 2:

Flash BIOS A to 1701 from USB thumbdrive
reboot
Splash Screen
Missing Operating System
reboot from front reset button
spam DELETE key
Change AHCI to RAID
press F10
System hangs on black screen

Q-Code 60
Hold down front power button for 5 seconds and reboot

Splash screens
Windows fails to load (flashing underscore)

DELTE key to enter BIOS. Confirm that AHCI -> Raid is in fact selected.
F10 - No changes
Windows Boots right up

Attempt to Shutdown computer. Computer shutsdown successfully - yeah!
Reboot to Windows.
Attempt to Shutdown computer. Computer shutsdown successfully!
Reboot to Windows.
Attempt to put computer to sleep - freezes on black screen! Temperatures remain near 43 degrees.

Q-Code 03

Boots into Windows 10.
Attempt to Shutdown computer. Computer shutsdown successfully.
Start up to Windows 10
Attempt to put to sleep a few times. Slept Successfully the first two times. Hung up the third time.

Q-Code 03

Changes? It is not hanging up and saying Overclock Failed! after forced shutdowns on default settings in BIOS 1701. It seems to have shifted back to freezing on sleep instead of freezing on shutdown and Q-Code 03 instead of 04. It did hang up once after tyring to save BIOS after I selected RAID instead of AHCI. That time Q-Code was 60.

@Chino. I did all this whilst waiting for your response. Do you want me to power down the system and clear the CMOS before updating to BIOS 1701? Otherwise I have done that. Edit: Also, it is shutting down successfully now on this relatively new Windows 10 install, but freezing on sleep. I have no faith it will stay that way. In a few days it may well decide to freeze on shutdown like before. Do you still want me to install on another disk?

Edit: I went to shutdown for the night and it froze on Shutdown.

Q-Code 04.

Bugger.

Chino
Level 15