Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

4720HQ,What's within thermal limits?

I'have a JY model with 980m and 4720HQ and when I am playing something heavy like GTA V for 30min-1 hour my CPU temperatures go up to 82 sometimes 86 degrees C.Those are ofcourse peak temperatures and last for seconds and the CPU itself never throttles.I tried undervolting it but unfortunately it isn't stable beyond -30mv without any overclock.Should I be worried and is this going to destroy my CPU in a year or something?I have seen all kinds of temperatures throughout the forums from 75C to 95C.And for the record ambient temperature is very cool and forgiving around 22-23C.I am not a technician and it would be difficult for me to replace thermal paste oh and one last detail I tried notebook fan control but every time I boot up it starts buzzing my fans and also sometimes it bugs out and it rapidly turns the RPM up and down again.So thoughts on temperatures and tips on improvement.(Windows 10,latest drivers)

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

It'll be fine, it's designed to work at those temperatures.
    What baffles me is why it can't go down beyond -30mV, that's terrible.
    You must have gotten a worse die than is usual.

Temps probably won't kill it but something else might.

I wouldn't count on it, though. Also, Notebook Fan Control shouldn't be doing that, that sounds like you have other problems.
    I'd try a clean Win10 install with the drivers and checking if it still does that - it could be the thermal probes in your core components could be buggy and causing erratic behaviour.

Might have to RMA it.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Today it reached 91C which is a record and it does it only in GTA V.It's not like I have it maxed out I've toned it down to get consistent 60-90 fps.Every other game keeps it at 78-82C top (Battlefield 4,MK10,NB2K etc).Im pretty sure NFC doesn't work for some other reason and not a broken sensor because everywhere else my CPU temperature is showing correctly only inside of NFC it bugs out and goes to - 1 billion C sometimes.Should I be worried or is it a GTA thing

Well, my i7-4710 hits 90 sometimes in Armored Warfare and Star Citizen sometimes so...I guess not.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Its normal I believe those game are badly optimized that they take what ever left from your GPU Power.
    Games like Watchdog,GTA Does that.

I'd say that GTA is an excellently optimized game considering the way it runs on our machines. Taking what's left is exactly what they should be doing.
    Not using your hardware fully when it should be is bad optimization.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

My 4710HQ went to like 95*C 2 days ago...but again i am in Malta (like 36 degrees ambient). Hopefully when i come back temps will go back as they used to (92*C max)

ROG Enthusiast Array

Reading over on the Alienware forums many people experience throttling with those CPUs because the 15's don't have an adequate cooling it seems.So conclusion is these processors are not exactly great with thermals I guess.What's incredible is that the top of the laptop is barely warm and the fans are not running nearly as loud as on my Macbook with a singlefan and an integrated gpu.I guess ASUS are all about showcasing how quiet it is but sometimes it's not that great if your CPU is running at 90C
    Last edited by thetanaz; 09-04-2015 at 10:06 AM.

Uhm...no. The G751 has excellent cooling, among the best in the product segment.

These CPU are really just very hot, there's no going around that. It being quiet I'd say is more of an after effect of the fan being buried in 2 tons of copper radiator.

Other notebooks (MSI, Lenovo, Acer I'm looking at you) with these CPUs just plain overheat and throttle themselves into nothing while the G751 still manages to keep at or below 90 degrees.

Needs a bit of perspective - like the XP941 and SM951 SSDs having something like 125 degrees Celsius as a thermal gate.
    Last edited by Edweird; 09-04-2015 at 10:11 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I guess I just got false expectations from all these reviewers that state temps of 75C and I bet they were just running like a 5 minute benchmark or gaming for 10 minutes and then stated those numbers.I have OCD for PC health cause I spent a lot of my sweet earned pennys on it and I want it to be in top notch condition.Thanks for responses I am calm now lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast