Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

75-80 degrees IS the average temperatures. Very few games (or any software, really) would push either the GPU or CPU over 82-84 degrees under normal conditions.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Well I get like:
    38-42C web browsing/idle
    55-60C light gaming League Of legends
    65-70C Dota 2
    75-80C MK 10
    and only BF4,GTA and NBA 2K have pushed it over the 80 mark so far.
    I guess if we're playing the avarage numbers game it is averaging out at 75 lol
    GPU stays around 70 btw never seen high numbers from the 980 it seems cool

ROG Enthusiast Array

Sorry to rebump this thread but what I found that was interesting is that GTA never used more than 60% of the CPU according to XTU and MSI Afterburner. yet it is unclear why the CPU runs at these temperatures.Also I managed to get it up to -40mV but at around 55-60 it starts being unstable and at -50 I've had it like glitch out for a sec in games/videos like a momentary freeze and even the sound glitches can't explain it better lol.I have overclocked the GPU to +135/+190 which is pretty stable.I am wandering if I can/should unlock the GPU Voltage or is it unnecessary?Didn't want to open a seperate thread for that and when I google 980m overclock guide it comes out on a different notebook and it's quite unclear cause it didn't have the proper cooling.Anyone tried modding vbios or something please give me opinions/guidance.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Okay another bump this time for scientific reasons.I noticed that when I set my maximum processor state to 99% I get a maximum frequency of around 50-100mhz less but a 10 degree drop in temperature while gaming.Can anyone explain the science behind this and what is changing so drastically?

ROG Member Array

Regarding to Intel the max Temp is 100 degrees
    http://ark.intel.com/products/78934/...up-to-3_60-GHz

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

When you go into the Control Panel - Power Options and set the Maximum processor state to 99%, this will disable Intel Turbo Boost. Instead of your 4720HQ being able to turbo up to 3.6 GHz when needed, it will be limited to a maximum of 2.6 GHz. A drop of only 1% seems minor but this setting will cause a huge drop in CPU performance. The percentage drop in CPU speed is a lot greater than the 1% number would lead you to believe.

It is not all bad though. As you found out, less CPU performance equals less power consumption and a lot less heat output. For gaming, this huge drop in CPU performance may be barely noticeable depending on the game. If a game is GPU limited, you can drop the speed of the CPU significantly and will barely notice a difference in frame rates.

Windows allows full Turbo Boost or no Turbo Boost and nothing in between. If there are situations where you would like some Turbo Boost, check out a program called ThrottleStop. This will give you full control of your 4th Gen CPU, including voltage adjustment so you can fine tune your laptop's performance to better match the games you are playing without the CPU core temperature going beyond the level that you are comfortable with.

ThrottleStop 8.00
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0...E1fcHNtbUMwdGc

Intel does state that the "maximum safe operating temperature" is 100°C but some manufacturers have decided to ignore this advice and have reduced this temperature in the bios. ThrottleStop can report what your actual throttling temperature (PROCHOT) has been set to.
    Last edited by unclewebb; 09-12-2015 at 02:26 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

That is exactly what I thought but in HWMonitor it says that I've achieved a maximum CPU speed ot 3.5ghz which is well above the default 2.6ghz non-turboboost value.Oh well perhaps you're right and the program is wrong because -10C don't come from 100 mhz difference that's for sure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2