cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OC Problems with G751J

frozenashes2
Level 7
Hey guys,

I currently overlock my own personal G551JW with zero problems at all. However a friend of mine wants to try and juice out his G751J so he brought it over. Obviously the first choice since the BIOS has no settings we used Intel's Xtreme tuner and MSI AF. No matter what settings I chose it would cause ill effects. Started with crashing 3D Mark, Bluescreens and the NVidia driver crashing and restarting constantly. Of course I understand how overlocking works but literally any small increment change would set these off. Also did the testing on a laptop cooling pad.

To my knowledge my 960M 2GB is practically the same as his 860M 2GB. Using GPU-Z to verify it does appear similar.
Also he has the i7 4710HQ and I have the 4720HQ.

My only guess is because he's had the computer for such a long time he may have a lot of "crap" on there messing with his system.

So in short the G751J will not overclock without system crashes.
i7 4710HQ
GTX 860M 2GB
12 GB RAM

Can't figure out why the memory speed is 0.
ROG G551JW - i7 - 4720HQ - GTX 960 2GB - 16GB RAM
ROG G751 - i7- 4710HQ - GTX 970M 3GB - 16GB RAM
3 REPLIES 3

Corporal
Level 9
"we used Intel's Xtreme tuner" did you use asus' bundled xtreme tuner or did you get one from intel website?

We used the one directly from the intel website. Next time I get my hands on his laptop ill see what we can do about more info.

Otherwise I find it strange that my G551jW out performs his laptop on firestrike even without OC.
ROG G551JW - i7 - 4720HQ - GTX 960 2GB - 16GB RAM
ROG G751 - i7- 4710HQ - GTX 970M 3GB - 16GB RAM

Edweird
Level 10
Missing/incorrect information in GPU/CPU-Z is usually due to an outdated version. Mine didn't know how many transistors my 980M had or how large die size was. Updated and the info showed up. Try that.