cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only 16GB out of 32GB of RAM being seen

CDRCHOP
Level 7
I built my system a few weeks ago. Bios saw 32GB of RAM fine. Had and seem to still have stability issues since the build. Many times would have to clear CMOS to get the PC to get to BIOs and then to Win 10. I updated the bios to 1701 today and as I am looking at the bios settings I noticed that my total RAM was only 8GB. I tried in vain to get the other RAM seen in the bios. I switched back to 1601 and the bios was now showing 16GB of RAM. I went back to 1701 and 16GB of RAM was still showing. I set the default settings in the BIOs and rebooted. I had to clear CMOS to get back into the bios and still only 16GB is showing. I have been selecting XMP in the bios for this memory for the system to recognize the RAM as 3000MHz.

When I select to clear the CMOS the error code has been 55. This doesn't happen at every boot but only when I have changed the bios.

I am running Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000MHz RAM. Is the training possibly the issue? How do I fix this?

Thank you,
9 REPLIES 9

CDRCHOP
Level 7
Ran the System Agent Voltage from 1.00 to 1.40...no change to the amount of RAM seen. Still 16GB.

CDRCHOP wrote:
Ran the System Agent Voltage from 1.00 to 1.40...no change to the amount of RAM seen. Still 16GB.

It's a sensitive voltage. Unlike Vcore, brute forcing the System Agent Voltage will not work.

It wouldn't hurt to loosen the screws for your heatsink a little to discard your RAM not getting picked up due to uneven pressure. If that doesn't help, then proceed to inspect the CPU socket for any bent or missing pins as Arne as suggested.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If you set F5 defaults does all the RAM show up?

Missing RAM may be bad contact of CPU in socket so check your cooling is mounted properly...evenly and not too tight.

Is XMP setting 1.35v vdimm...try 1.4

I would not set VCCSA to 1.4....try up to 1.2 max

Try setting RAM up manually...not XMP...input speed primary timings and vdimm manually

That is a single quad channel kit right not combining kits?

CDRCHOP
Level 7
Thank you for the tips. Why would there be bad pins in my CPU if when I first powered up the system a few weeks ago it saw 32GB of RAM? I tried setting the vdimm to 1.4 with no change in results. Tried setting manually, not using XMP, and setting vdimm to 1.35 and no change. Tried F5 defaults and again no change. One weird single occurrence though. After having to clear CMOS to get back into the bios and setting to XMP and then rebooting the bios only showed 8GB of RAM. I cleared CMOS once again and back into the bios and it saw 16GB again. I will begin taking RAM out and reseating and testing individual positions on the MB.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If the CPU is being displaced or if there is minimal contact that has gotten worse RAM may be dropped...

However yes, it would be a good idea to test individual sticks and individual slots...see if one channel is defective...

Reseat CPU check socket...

CDRCHOP
Level 7
I removed, not disconnected, the Corsair RAM fans from my RAM and powered up. Low and behold the 32GB of RAM showed up in the bios. I have the Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 RAM and the stock fans are very tight up against the back plate of the Titan X mounted in the top graphics card slot. I knew these fans were tight and wondered if they might be pushing against, or hopefully not, shorting the RAM. Regardless, the full amount of RAM is back and I am happy.

My next question is what is the recommended CPU and RAM testing or stressing software recommended by the board. I have searched and seen several options but I was hoping to get recommendations from the experienced here.

Thank you.

DamianStr
Level 8
I got some programs http://www.memtest86.com/ I hade also One that you can run in windows But can't find him ATM

Chino
Level 15
For DDR4, HCI Memtest is much more effective than MemTest86. If you look in my signature, there's a section in the DDR4 3000 Guide that outlines how to run HCI Memtest.

If you want an even more thorough memory test, have a look at Google Stress App.