cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh OS-installations (order of installation)

Rippin_Kittin
Level 9
On a new, clean Windows-installation, you often hear that the first drivers you should install, is the drivers for the chipset. How important is this, and what can happen if you don't follow the rule? Also, do you install the Windows updates before, or after your motherboard-drivers, and why?

What is your fresh installation orders and what have you learned by experience?
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.1 GHz || MB: ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming || Cooling: Corsair Hydro 115i
GFX: 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (SLI) || RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB OC @ 3300 MHz
Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum || Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG SWIFT PG279Q 165Hz || PSU: Corsair AX1600i || OS: Windows 10 Professional x64
Case: NZXT Phantom 820 FullTower - White

2 REPLIES 2

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Before a clean install I make sure to download latest Chipset , IME, LAN and Display drivers.

Then on install first thing is to install Chipset IME and LAN and restart. Then Display and restart.

Then get online and install latest updates for other drivers as needed/wanted...things like bluetooth or audio etc.

Then I look for windows updates last....

Rippin_Kittin
Level 9
I went on installing Windows 10 with the Internet connection on... following order happened: Windows Update immediately downloaded and installed latest IME, then AMDA00 Interface and drivers for my VGA. I then followed up with the rest of the updates for the OS.

After I got finished with Windows Updates I went to the download site for the Maximus VI Extreme and installed following order:

Chipset (recommended to run after fully installed OS with latest patches and updates)
IRST
IME (from ASUS download site, since it's the one recommended for my board)
Realtek (then plugging in the audio cable)
NVIDIA driver (latest, since Windows Update had an older one)
LAN
Wireless (then activating it in BIOS)
Logitech for mouse and keyboard
ROG Front Base
BlueTooth (then activating it in the BIOS)

Now, opening up "Devices and Printers" in Windows, it's showing up everything in just one millisecond without no green loading, so it seems to be have working flawless.

On previous fresh installations, I have clearly noticed the "Devices and Printers" loading up very slow and making the processor and fans work up to 60% if installing in different orders. Especially, it seems to be something with Realtek and AMDA00 Interface that can make things very slow and messy in some certain order...
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.1 GHz || MB: ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming || Cooling: Corsair Hydro 115i
GFX: 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (SLI) || RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB OC @ 3300 MHz
Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum || Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG SWIFT PG279Q 165Hz || PSU: Corsair AX1600i || OS: Windows 10 Professional x64
Case: NZXT Phantom 820 FullTower - White