Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sata 2 and SSD upgrade on my G750JX?

beginners
Level 7
Hi all,
I want to ask some questions as below:
1. Now I recognize that my asus G750JX is using hard drive 7200 rpm with SATA 2 interface. Should I upgrade to SSD now?
I want to use SSD to improve overall peroformance. How to make sure that I can use SSD with expected speed of SATA 3?
2. I plan to use Kingston HyperX Savage or Samsung EVO 850 240 GB for this upgrade. Could anyone please let me know if this upgrade is good enough?

Thanks so much (^_^)
4 REPLIES 4

ccope80
Level 7
All of these would provide you with more than enough performance over that ****ty 7200 drive. I have an ROG G750js NH71 and have two SSds installed one for games to run on and a Samsung 850 pro ssd. You can go on SSDboss.com and compare using their database of ssd known to them; its pretty up to date and all the kickass ones are there to compare.

Maxter
Level 9
If SSD is SATA 3 compatible, it'll transfer at those speeds (very likely that's a given). The performance hike you'll see will be booting up and game loading. Most common software like office and such didn't seem to speed up in my system... unless it is below human detection level.
Kingston and Samsung are great SSD's right there. All depends on what you want. I needed more safety mechanisms (MLC types don't have this) since I work with more sensitive data. I went with the Crucial MX100 (which provides with the safety but it's just a bit slower).

Sorry for my bad English, I understood that my new SSD will run as expected speed (SATA3), is it true?

beginners wrote:
Sorry for my bad English, I understood that my new SSD will run as expected speed (SATA3), is it true?

I have a 750JX and just installed a Kingston Savage HyperX. I run Ubuntu and had periodic boot issues and CRC errors (from dmesg) during boot. Turns out my Laptop
didn't like Sata-3 and would initially choke and renegotiate back to Sata-2. I hard coded the speed to Sata-2 (3Gb/sec) and the
errors went away.

The better SSD Sata-3 are backward compatible with Sata-2 but likely not with Sata-1.