Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Member Array DarkStone PC Specs
    DarkStone PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus VIII Gene
    Processori7 6700K @ 4.5Ghz
    Memory (part number)16GB Gskill TridentZ @ 3333 (16-18-38-1T)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 STRIX @ 2000Mhz
    Sound CardSoundBlaster ZXR
    MonitorASUS PB328Q
    Storage #1512GB Samsung 950 Pro
    Storage #21TB Samsung 850 EVO
    CPU CoolerProlimatech Megahalems Black w/ Noiseblocker M12-PS
    CaseSilverstone Kublai KL06B-W w/ Noiseblocker M12-3
    Power SupplySeaSonic SS-660XP2
    Keyboard Logitech Illuminated K800
    Mouse Logitech MX Master
    Headset Heavily moddified Aurvana Live!
    Mouse Pad Razer Vespula
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z-5500
    OS Windows 10 x64 Pro
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC87U
    Accessory #1 Western Digital EX2100 NAS 4TB

So after playing with my speeds and timings for a little bit. Got a very stable clock at 2800 14-14-14-34-1T 1.33v. Very happy with these results.
    So this RAM does require some extra lovin in order to get ti work properly.

21 year computer builder Array jbhowlesr PC Specs
    jbhowlesr PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Surface 2
    MotherboardASUS X99-A II
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-5820K, Asus 5-way Optimized at 4.487 ghz
    Memory (part number)CMD16GX4M4C3200C16 (8 x 4gb) = 32GB
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Editions
    Sound CardSoundblaster Recom 3D
    Monitor2 ASUS VG248 144Hz 1080p 3D (Dual Screen)
    Storage #1Samsung SM951 128gb M.2 SSD
    Storage #2Seagate FireCuda 1T Hybrid Drive
    CPU CoolerEKWB Custom Cooling Loop, EKWB X99 Monoblock, EKWB GeForce 1070 FE Full cover water block
    CaseThermaltake Core X71
    Power SupplyCorsair AX860 Platinum
    Keyboard Razr Blackwidow Ultrimate Stealth
    Mouse Corsair Vengeance M95
    Headset Sound Blaster Tactics Alpha 3D
    Mouse Pad Razer Vespula
    Headset/Speakers Logitech
    OS WIndows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Network Routerpfsense/snort/pfblockerNG
    Accessory #1 Steam Game Pad
    Accessory #2 EKWB Coolstream PE 360 Radiator, EKWB D5 Pump, EK 250 reservoir

Try this. Fixed all my issues. I copied it from another post of mine.

So, I'm going to propose to you a solution. Ditch you ASUS board and buy an MSI Gaming series Board. Here is why.

I upgraded from a Z97 board to a Z170-AR last week with a i5-6600k. Upon first boot, got all kinda weird indications and looping boots combined with asus anti-surge errors. First I thought power supply so I dropped $200 for a corsair platinum and still had the same issues. So I returned board and CPU as defective and replaced them with a MAXIMUS VIII Hero and an i5-6500. Popped them in my cases with same DDR4 memory and everything else. Same exact issues as with the previous board. I posted on here and folks replied that the DDR4 that I was using; Corsair Vengeance LPX was not right for my board and recommended G.Skill memory that is purpose made forZ170. So I ordered some and popped them in and it solved my original looping boot error but after a day, my computer randomly shutdown again and when it rebooted, I got the code 55 meaning "No memory installed". SO I hard reboot, all was well for about 40 minutes and wallah, it randomly rebooted again with the same code 55.

Now, being that my frustration had reached a boiling point since this meant a 3rd trip to fry's electronics to replace these parts, I was done with ASUS for the time being until they fix these bunk ass z170 boards. When I got there I exchanged the maximus VIII for an MSI Z170A Gaming M7 and put it all back together when I got home; same cpu, same g.skill memory, same everything. Booted it up and loaded everything back on. I gotta tell you, I have been iffy about MSI boards for a long time but this thing works like it should, using all the same parts that two Asus boards were tripping out over. I mean, I have been on this thing for 4 hours straight since first boot and it has been flawless so far.

What this all means to me is that somewhere during the design process at ASUS, they have incorporated an inferior design or a substandard part. Their products, a long time favorite of mine, has finally let me down. Plus search the web and you find countless people experiencing the same issues as I had and you are having now. As many people are wasting away trying to figure out these error codes and conditions that out right lie about the actual cause, I think it is safe to say that their z170 boards flat out just don't work as advertised. Hell, I was getting Q Codes that were not even listed in the user guide.

ROG Member Array Vertigo79 PC Specs
    Vertigo79 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Acer Aspire V15 Nitro
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VIII Hero
    Processori7 6700k (ordered)
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL F4-2666C15Q-32GVR, Ripjaws V (32GB, 15-15-15-35, 1.20v)
    Graphics Card #1Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Edition (4GB)
    MonitorEizo FlexScan S2433W
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 850 PRO (256 GB - for OS and Programs), Samsung SSD 850 PRO (512 GB - for Games)
    Storage #2WD Red (6TB, 3TB), WD Green (2TB), WD Blue (500GB), Samsung HD103UJ (1TB)
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-U12S
    CaseFractal Design Define R5 PCGH Edition
    Power Supplybe quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 750W
    Keyboard Microsoft Digital Media Pro Keyboard
    Mouse Logitech G602
    Headset Logitech G430
    Headset/Speakers Teufel Concept C 200 USB
    OS MS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U

@jbhowlesr

Why are you spamming every thread with the same text. It should be enough to post it in one thread.

ROG Enthusiast Array DamianStr PC Specs
    DamianStr PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus VIII Extreme
    ProcessorIntel Core I7 6700K
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C16Q-32GTZB
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GeForce GTX 970 Strix OC 4GB
    Sound CardSupremeFX 2015
    Storage #1Samsung 950 Pro 512GB
    Storage #2Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X61
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Luxe White
    Power SupplyCorsair RM1000i
    OS Windows 10 Pro

Yeah dude @jbhowlesr maybe that probleem is you

jbhowlesr PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Surface 2
    MotherboardASUS X99-A II
    CPU CoolerEKWB Custom Cooling Loop, EKWB X99 Monoblock, EKWB GeForce 1070 FE Full cover water block
    CaseThermaltake Core X71
    Mouse Pad Razer Vespula
    OS WIndows 10 Pro 64 bit

Sorry, I just pasted this comment vs retyping it. I had so many issues that are similar to everyone else's issues that I got so tired of it and wanted to take a different path. I don't mean to spam. I will correct that in the future. Was just fed up with products that don't deliver on a promise that come with a several hundred dollar price tag.

Everything that everyone is saying to try, I did. Everything that ASUS Support said to try, I did. The fact is, they delivered a product line that is supposed to be compatible across a wide spectrum. Plus, earlier in this thread, some posted that just using two of the four ram slots as a fix and I think to myself about this that "Why is this a Fix"? I mean, why give you 4 slots if you can't use them? That should simply not be a fix to a problem. Updating a bios should not be a fix either since so many components on a motherboard have their own hard written software and if these components don't talk well together then you have a problem that simply choosing certain parts, a different bios, or parts arraignment cannot fix.

Z170, is not my first experience with a brand new product. In fact, I remember going through similar difficulties about 10 years ago when DDR3 first entered the picture. Seeing a lot of the reported issues here reminds of the time I had back then. Now I am not saying that ASUS boards are bad by any means and I am looking to go back to one when revision 2 of their line comes out. It's just that with these first releases, they are obviously heavily flawed. Now it could be that my local Fry's electronics has a bad batch of asus boards. It could also be that I got a diamond in the rough with this MSI board but I cannot deny the fact that when I was there yesterday returning my beloved Maximus VIII that they explained that they have experienced a high failure rate amongst ASUS Z170 boards and highly recommended the MSI Gaming M7 board as a replacement.

So I suggest to everyone having issues that, if something is not working 100% out of the box; which is what is manufacturer intended, then you have malfunctioning product. Plus, if you doubt my experience than know that I am not only a computer science major/graduate; I have also been building PC/SERVERS since the early 90's as a hobby.
    Last edited by jbhowlesr; 09-10-2015 at 09:01 PM.

jbhowlesr PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Surface 2
    MotherboardASUS X99-A II
    CaseThermaltake Core X71
    Mouse Pad Razer Vespula
    OS WIndows 10 Pro 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by DamianStr View Post
    what is a probleem?

jbhowlesr PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Surface 2
    MotherboardASUS X99-A II
    CaseThermaltake Core X71
    Mouse Pad Razer Vespula
    OS WIndows 10 Pro 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStone View Post
    So after playing with my speeds and timings for a little bit. Got a very stable clock at 2800 14-14-14-34-1T 1.33v. Very happy with these results.
    So this RAM does require some extra lovin in order to get ti work properly.

This is what should actually happen. If everything is working as it should then you should be able to populate all 4 memory slots and enable XMP in the bios regardless of whether your CPU is locked or unlocked and it should run smoothly. To clarify, XMP by the way is a feature of ram and not the motherboard. XMP support is added to the bios so your system can utilized it. Amongst all the ram chips under the heat spreader of each stick, is a tiny bios chip that contains the instruction set for the ram module it occupies. The instruction set in this bios contains the factory set timings for the module as well as voltages, frequencies etc. This is also where the XMP presets are located and it also why when you enable the XMP feature in the bios, the board can switch to the presets defined by the ram XMP.

So, if your simply not able to click to enable XMP and it work as advertised then problem is not the RAM, the problem is the motherboard. Personally, I think the faults people are experiencing lay with the new second generation ASUS T-TOPOLOGY design incorporated on all the new Z170 boards from ASUS and it seems to be hit and miss. Reading up on it will detail that used all new power delivery, all new conductor pathways, all new everything. If they can get it working like it should then it is a genuine technological leap for motherboards.

To substantiate all of this, since returning my Maximus VIII board and getting the MSI GAMING M7 board, I install 4 stick of G.KILL ripjaws 5 2800 memory with an i5-6500 locked CPU. Upon first boot, I enabled XMP in the bios and then flawlessly shifted to 2800 even though the CPU is locked. Doing the above, I simply could not do on either of the Z170-AR board or MAXIMUS VIII board that I returned. What's more interesting is that in my wife's computer is an ASUS Z97-AR board and my kids computer is an ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mk1 board. Both have locked CPUS and O.C. ram that run XMP at default setting flawlessly without modifying any timing or voltages.

Your probably wondering now what the point is to this novel. The point is that you should simply not have to do what you did. I would honestly try a new motherboard because they should all run at default settings. If they don't, something larger is going on and you may end up burning something up.
    Last edited by jbhowlesr; 09-10-2015 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo79 View Post
    @jbhowlesr

Why are you spamming every thread with the same text. It should be enough to post it in one thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianStr View Post
    Hello

Other forum members have stated similar thoughts. jbhowlesr, going forward if you are not posting a possible specific solution that the user can try with their current board regarding their problem do not post. Thank you.

jbhowlesr PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Surface 2
    MotherboardASUS X99-A II
    CaseThermaltake Core X71
    Mouse Pad Razer Vespula
    OS WIndows 10 Pro 64 bit

Sometimes, the only solution is a new piece of hardware and that's all I am going to say.

ROG Enthusiast Array willburstyle06 PC Specs
    willburstyle06 PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO
    Processori7-6700k OC 4.7GHz
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB DDR4 3600MHz
    Graphics Card #1EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Graphics Card #2EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    MonitorAsus PG278QR
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro NVMe M.2 1TB
    Storage #2Samsung 860 Evo 2TB
    CPU CoolerKraken X62
    CaseNZXT H440 RAZER
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000i
    Keyboard BLACKWIDOW CHROMA
    Mouse DEATHADDER ELITE
    Headset KRAKEN 7.1 CHROMA
    Mouse Pad RAZER GIGANTUS ELITE
    OS Windows10

I found a similar thread over on overclock.net with the suggestion to turn on tweaker mode 1 in the ram timing settings.
    After trying this my system did seem stable with XMP enabled 16-16-16-36 2T 3200MHz and tweak mode 1 on.

Did a fire-strike test and played some far cry 4 and everything ran smoothly.A couple hours later though I came back home and my computer had shut off. I tried leaving it on overnight last night and once again it was off this morning so Its definitely not stable. Hopefully Asus comes out with a bios update soon. I'm either going to raise the dram voltage a lil or lower the speeds to 3000-2800MHz to try and find stability

Has anyone tried the new bios 0802 to see if it fixes anything? I'm updating to it right now.
    Last edited by willburstyle06; 09-11-2015 at 11:28 PM.
    CPU - i7-6700k 4.7GHz
    MOBO -Asus Maximus VIII Hero
    RAM - 32GB G.Skill TRIDENTZ RGB DDR4//3600 MHz
    GPU - EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 SLI
    SSD - Samsung 960 Pro M.2 NVMe 1TB //Boot
    SSD - Samsung 860 Evo 2TB
    HDD - WD BLACK 3TB 7200RPM// Media//Gaming
    PSU - Corsair HX1000i
    CASE - NZXT RAZER H440
    CPUCOOLER - Kraken X62

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast