Threaded View

ROG Enthusiast Array

Dual booting Linux?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with Linux cause I've been trying to install Linux on my GL551JW for a while now, specifically Ubuntu, and I can't seem to get it to work. I've tried 14.04 and 15.04, and for some reason the 15.04 disk won't even work properly. So for now I'll just tell you what happened with the 14.04 disk.

I loaded it up, went through the settings and all that, and when it came time to ask me how to install it, the only option was to either erase the disk, which would presumably delete my Windows copy, or to try setting up my own partitions. Naturally I tried setting my own partitions as I did not want to delete the clean install of Windows 10 I just did. However, this wouldn't work either as when I finally figured out what was going on with the partition menue to some extent, the program told me there was no root directory and I could not install Ubuntu.

For the record I have disabled secure boot, but I am still very new to this whole thing so some partition things don't really make sense to me yet. If you need any more information I'd be happy to provide whatever else I can. I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks in advance!