cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Speakers or Replacment Speaker options for the G751

aeolisio
Level 10
I recieved yet another message today about custom speakers for the g751. Awhile ago i meantioned that we replaced some of the office g751 speakers with 1 inch drivers for improved sound. They do sound better more clear and crisp but there are limits to what a tiny driver can do. This thread will give an outline of some options.

Honestly for decent sound you could get yourself a sound stand and have amazing sound instead of messing with the internals. Thats what i do with my personal g751. I use a toslink mini to optical on the sound stand and get 4.2 300 watt speakers right under my laptop. I bought the samsung hw-h600 and its fantastic its even better than the 2000w 7.1 setup in my living room because your so close and it directs everything around you.

If you had to have them portable you could make a 3d printed cover with mesh holes and even reposition either the stock or better speakers facing outward towards the user instead of down facing towards metal and directing under the monitor but im not sure how that would sound to people.

A cheaper option would be to use better laptop speakers and modify them to fit the g751 like Klipsch, Harmon, Bang & Olufsen or Beats (which i personally hate for real music) like these-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ENVY-BEATS-AUDIO-ORIGINAL-FRONT-LEFT-RIGHT-SIDE-LAPTOP-SPEAKERS-15-J053CL...
Bang and olufsen ones from an asus n73-
http://www.asusparts.eu/en/Asus-04G170051700

Anything is possible but the deciding factor will be cost for most people. These mods will all certainly void your warranty. You could even use a small amplifier in that space to increase the volume but that requires even more modification. The short answer is yes i can do it and yes you could probably do it yourself with some basic skills. But remember the speakers can only put out the quality of sound they get from the g751. The replacements we did in the office sound better but would not hold a candle to anything you could do separate from the laptop.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
11 REPLIES 11

Rares95
Level 8
Yes please!

ciccio80
Level 9
Interesting post. Thx for sharing 🙂

aeolisio
Level 10
Thats what im here for.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheWitcher
Level 7
I followed your advice and got a vizio soundstand first and it sounded good but then i heard the samsung one at best buy and it was so much better i bought it and returned the cheaper vizio. It actually makes a perfect size for a desk. I can always use a DAC for headphones when im using it not at home. i dont think i will every use the asus speakers again

Interesting idea. Main question would be which speakers fit without Problems or with a little modding.

Black_Phoenix
Level 8
Nice Idea. I agree that a better speaker is a good way of overcome the lack in sound fidelity, but as you stated not much can be asked from so small ones. Also the way as they are mounted are also a problem, just by seeing the Zenbooks ones (UX501/UX301) were the sound of them are good enough but the position of them pointing downwards just simply makes them sound very bad.

TheWitcher wrote:
I followed your advice and got a vizio soundstand first and it sounded good but then i heard the samsung one at best buy and it was so much better i bought it and returned the cheaper vizio. It actually makes a perfect size for a desk. I can always use a DAC for headphones when im using it not at home. i dont think i will every use the asus speakers again

Yes in my opinion the soundstand is a far superior option. I even ordered a second one for under my monitor for my desktop to replace logitech z906's and we are ordering 15 for work but only for the people who have offices. I actually tried the vizio sound stanbd and the pioneere speaker base but neither comes anywhere close to the fidelity of the samsung hw-h600. Ill probably throw the soundstand in my suitcase when i travel if i have a presentation. Im glad you tried it.

Sargatanas wrote:
Interesting idea. Main question would be which speakers fit without Problems or with a little modding.

Unfortunately most manufatures of existing systems dont usually list speaker sizes and often when they do they are inaccurate and wont include depth. We went through quite a few hurdles to get the drivers we used at the office direct from Bose and they would not do that for most companies but we had helped them on a project before. Theres also the issue of impedance to consider if sourcing. Anyone with a little research can come up with a solution if you must have better laptop speakers the question still becomes at what cost and effort is it still worth it.

Black Phoenix wrote:
Nice Idea. I agree that a better speaker is a good way of overcome the lack in sound fidelity, but as you stated not much can be asked from so small ones. Also the way as they are mounted are also a problem, just by seeing the Zenbooks ones (UX501/UX301) were the sound of them are good enough but the position of them pointing downwards just simply makes them sound very bad.

Yes that is an issue thats why i also proposed a 3d printed speaker cover and redirecting the speakers but the screen is still in the way so the best you could achieve is a sort of hybrid with multiple speakers some pointing at a more direct angle under the screen and some pointing towards the edge of the screen. You would still be left with volume concerns as there is a finite amount that the board can put out to whatever option. I maintain that the speaker stand is by far the best option.

Pandora__s_Box
Level 8
what about doin speaker on the screen? you could print that right?

Pandora\'s Box wrote:
what about doin speaker on the screen? you could print that right?

You mean a 3d printed screen bezel to fit speakers on it? Theres very little room for anything like speakers and you would not want it larger then the bottom half or it would have a lip when closed but yes its possible. I would still suggest the sound stand or bluetooth speakers instead of that kind of modification. Remember the sound is limited to what the g751 can put out. You could wire an amplifier or use the current wires as an audio input to a small sound board to increase the power and allow the g751 to have additional speakers but im not sure most people would be comfortable with that kind of modding.