cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help me get my SM951 NVME disk to run!

MarcosMK
Level 9
After a lot of work and even more waiting, I got my hands on a SM951 NVME.
I'm more of a gamer than anything else and this year I spend a lot on my gaming rig.
I have a Rampage V Extreme, i7 5960X, 64GB DDR4 2400MHZ, 2 Titan X, Xonar Phoebus and the last piece I was waiting for was the SM951 NVME.

But I cant even get it to show up on the bios.
I bought it online from a seller in the USA, who said he took it out of a laptop and sold it to me.
What I want to do, besides getting it to work, is installing my Windows 10 home edition on the disk.
I already made a UEFI installer on my pen drive, but it doesn't recognize the disk.

I'm not very familiar with working the bios and the like, so even updating it to version 1701 was a big ordeal for me.

I tried taking out the sound card and the second video card, in case it was a problem with the lanes.
I also tried to follow what I read on the forum, but no dice, still I might have overlooked something.

I would immensely appreciate any help you can give me to get the disk running.
Thanks in advanced!
21 REPLIES 21

Chino
Level 15
Hello,

I was unable to answer your PM because of a forum error. Have you read the M.2 guide that I have linked in my signature?

MarcosMK
Level 9
Hi Chino, thanks a lot for your reply and yes, I did read it.
I change the setting to M2 and booted from the UEFI windows 10 pendrive, but during the installation it said, that it didn't find any disk to install to.
I tried taking out all the sata cables, with my other hard drives and dvd/BD drives, as well as taking out the sound and video card.
But it still wont recognize the drive.
Since it took almost a month to reach me and the seller didn't take any refunds, I'm afraid of the possibility that it is a DOA or the like.

But Im hoping it is my own fault and it can be fixed.

MarcosMK wrote:
Hi Chino, thanks a lot for your reply and yes, I did read it.
I change the setting to M2 and booted from the UEFI windows 10 pendrive, but during the installation it said, that it didn't find any disk to install to.
I tried taking out all the sata cables, with my other hard drives and dvd/BD drives, as well as taking out the sound and video card.
But it still wont recognize the drive.
Since it took almost a month to reach me and the seller didn't take any refunds, I'm afraid of the possibility that it is a DOA or the like.

But Im hoping it is my own fault and it can be fixed.

Do you have any OS installed on one of your hard drives? So that you can verify if the SM951 is detected inside Windows?

Nate152
Hello MarcosMK

I was reading your post and I was thinking the same thing that maybe it was not working to begin with. If it's not recognized in the bios that usually means it's dead.

Maybe try reseating it in the motherboard.

MarcosMK
Level 9
Is there any way to verify it?
Also, is there any way that the seller might have screwed up?
Like for instance, formatting the drive and completely erasing the drivers, rendering it unusable?
Because it looks physically ok, he stated that it was a tested drive and in working condition, upon being shipped.

MarcosMK
Level 9
I do, but it doesn’t show up.

I´m not home at the moment, so I can´t go in depth, but there are two things I found odd after the bios update.
First was that the bios build was the lattes one, but the date that showed up on cpuz, was the one of the bios update before the 1701.
Second, there was a section added to the bios about NVME, but it only had one grayed out option and nothing more.

MarcosMK wrote:
I do, but it doesn’t show up.

Have you looked under the Disk Management section of Computer Management to see if it shows up there? If it's there, initialize the drive and format it as GPT.

MarcosMK
Level 9
I tried it again today, but I can't yet seem to get the disk to show up on the bios or Windows.
Here I let a link to an imgur album, with pics I took today:

http://imgur.com/a/YAbg0#0

If you look at the last two pics, you can see the inconsistency with the bios build and date, according to the asus website:

http://www.asus.com/us/support/Download/1/42/3/3/SNYTZvOdMa6xGWYL/8/

Thanks for your help so far and I really hope I can still get it to work!

MarcosMK
Level 9
It doesn't show up . . .