cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My First Build

Hardliner
Level 11
Hi . . . I am a 'noob' at water-cooling a build. I am about to embark upon my first build. I have watched several-hundred hours of Youtube vids to ensure that I do it right.

I am not really sure why I am here, but maybe since I am a woman I would just like a little support as I sail into 'The Further'. . ..

So far, I have my Corsair 900D (and DAMN it is heavy . . .); my Corsair AX1500i PSU; my anti-static wristband; my Gelid thermal paste (I also have Arctic MX-4, but it seems Gelid is better); my work-mat (it is actually a $10 yoga mat, but it is definitely anti-static); my credit card . . . and my dreams. . ..

Getting ready to become a founding member of STAR CITIZEN.
¡¡¡ I__ju$₮__₩₳₦₮__₮☮__₱£₳¥__₮h€__₲₳₥€__₩i₮h☮u₮__i₮__hi₵₵u₱i₦₲,__₱l€₳$€ !!!
546 REPLIES 546

Nate152
Hello Hardliner

Well you have the start of a quality build anyway.

Quality case Corsair 900D - check - This is a good pc case with alot of water cooling options.
Quality psu Corsair AX1500i - check - plenty of power for multiple graphics cards.
Quality thermal compound Gelid solutions - check

We can make suggestions and help you do it right. The first suggestion I will make is do an Intel and Nvidia build.

Tell us a little more about your build like what components and monitor you plan on going with.

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, Hardliner.

If you wish, you can list your complete system specifications of your future build. We have a few experts here who can look over your list and give you opinions. 🙂

kkn
Level 14
it all depends on what you are going to WC, cpu only or GPU's too or some of the mobo?
its going to cost you in the end.
is it custom cooling or is it all in one cooler like H100i for example?

take a look here, this is my case.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23795-overkill&p=282195&viewfull=1#post282195

and i DO recommend to sit down and start thinking good.
draw down on a paper on how you want a loop, and you NEED a drain port on the bottom ( lowest point ) in your loop.
it WILL start to cost in the end, if your in the US it will go past $700 easy just for WC parts.
change coolant once a year.

if you are interested i can set up a need to have list whit links to a online site ( sugestions links )

Hi Nate152, Ghino and kkn. Thanks, guys for your potential help. Below is a brief list of my build.

R5E/U3.1 w/ EK Monoblock water block--copper, at least internally if possible (I will go with any brand that has all copper)

i7 Extreme Edition 5960X SLI w/ EK water block,--copper, at least internally

8 X 8 Dominator Platinum w/ EK water blocks--copper, at least internally if possible (perhaps excessive, but this build will have to be good for at least five years without upgrades, and I bet STAR CITIZEN will be needing 64GB in a few years. Besides, holographic games should be coming out before long. Also, I know the RAM water blocks are not needed, but I am doing it anyway)

Dual EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN X Superclocked w/ water blocks, internal copper if possible, and also optional back plates, and SLI bridge

AX1500i (is 94% efficient and love the fluid dynamic bearing--will last 'long-time')

4 SSD's set in RAID 0, likely Corsair's Neutron Series, but have not ruled out the Samsung 730 skulls

1 Intel 750 Series 1.2 TB add-in card (I realize I will not be able to install it into a 16X PCIe slot, that it will have to go into an 8X slot and so I will not be able to take full-advantage of the card, and also that the 2.5" 750 Series SSD will not mechanically fit into the M.2 socket filling up both PCIe 16X slots with GPU's, but I want the Intel 750 series for storage--it should be faster than other stuff anyway (too bad the R5E has such a design flaw . . .)

Blu-ray Optical/RW/CD/DVD/Burner Drive (I know, it is 'old skool,' but if I want to see a movie or some such on my machine, I am going to do so and w/out hassle)

ROG Front Base

ROG Swift PG278Q (still deciding on whether or not I want a three-monitor setup which is why I am considering this cheaper monitor, otherwise I could go with one of the new PG348Q ASUS 34″ Ultrawide
QHD IPS 21:9 Curved G-SYNC monitors)

TrackIR (it seems Occulus Rift will not be perfected in time, but I may still go with it instaed)

Mionix Castor RGB Ergonomic Optical Gaming Mouse

Either the Corsair K95 keyboard or the top-of-the-line Razer keyborad

Razer headset

Razer Goliathus Extended Mouse Mat

PETG hard-line tubing 1/2" ID, 5/8" OD (2 loops--1 red, 1 blue)

Pump with housing and a cylinder reservoir, and the second loop will be a bay reservoir and I am still deciding on which one

Hard-line fittings, of course, but more bends in my tubing than fittings, and most of the tubing itself will be horizontal instead of vertical

Purple LED's internally; pink LED externally under the carriage

2 slim 480 Radiators--all copper--w/ with push-pull fan configs (the horizontal radiator at the top will have fans w/ fluid dynamic bearings since they will be set in the horizontal position, which is not good for sleeve-bearing fans nor ball-bearing fans)

1 slim either 240mm or 280mm (likely the 280mm)--all copper--w/ push-pull fans (to sit in the bottom of case on the backside of the slim 480mm push-pull, for exhaust)

1 thick either 240mm or 280mm (likely the 240mm)--all copper--w/ push-pull fans (to be placed in the front of case)

Perhaps a 120mm or a 140mm rad with a push fan for exhaust out the back

2 flow meters

2 T-valve drainers positioned in the front of case w/ a length of soft-tube to plug it into when draining

Various fan-splitters or some such (I will look at a few vids for the best option)

LED's for the water blocks . . . maybe

I am sure that that is not everything, but I am looking forward to getting all this stuff sent to me for a safety-check to make sure everything works before I start my build. Once I know that everything is fine and nothing needs to be sent back, I will then take my time and 'ENJOY THE BUILD.'

Hardliner wrote:
R5E/U3.1 w/ EK Monoblock water block--copper, at least internally if possible (I will go with any brand that has all copper)

i7 Extreme Edition 5960X SLI w/ EK water block,--copper, at least internally

The EK Monoblock for the R5E cools the VRMs, CPU and PCH. So there is no need to buy a separate water block for the 5960X. That is unless you're planning to only watercool the CPU for the meanwhile then upgrade to the Monoblock later on.

Nate152
You're jumping in pretty deep Hardliner especially with the hard tubing but a brave girl puts a smile on my face. 😉 I would recommend getting a fan controller for your fans and led lights. Here is a build I helped an ROG member with, it may be helpful to you start at the top of page 2.

64GB of RAM is overkill for gaming as well is 32GB. 16GB is plenty and will be for a while but you can build it how you like.

Have you thought about a 4k monitor?

I estimated this build to be about 10,000 - 12,000 u.s. dollars maybe you already saw it?

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?60778-The-Benefits-Of-Watercooling-the-Rampage-V-Extreme&p...

kkn
Level 14
get the hydro copper version graphic cards from EVGA, it got a pre mounted waterblock on them.

Nate152 wrote:
You're jumping in pretty deep Hardliner especially with the hard tubing but a brave girl puts a smile on my face. 😉 I would recommend getting a fan controller for your fans and led lights. Here is a build I helped an ROG member with, it may be helpful to you start at the top of page 2.

64GB of RAM is overkill for gaming as well is 32GB. 16GB is plenty and will be for a while but you can build it how you like.

Have you thought about a 4k monitor?

I estimated this build to be about 10,000 - 12,000 u.s. dollars maybe you already saw it?

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?60778-The-Benefits-Of-Watercooling-the-Rampage-V-Extreme&p...

Yes, perhaps a fan controller is the best option, but I am under the impression that the R5E has a fan control setup within its BIOS and that all will be needed are splitters. Also, that the main fan header can handle up to 28 watts and the rest of the fan headers on the MOBO can handle 12 watts, and so this would allow two low-wattage fans to work on each header with splitters and more than that on the main fan-head. Though, I am looking at 7-12 watt high-powered fans for the vertical positions--Corsair's Air Series SP120 PWM High Performance Edition High Static Pressure Fan--so fan controllers with a half-dozen heads in each one is likely what I need.

As far as the 64GB of RAM, I have to get it now to guard against the near-future need for it. When you get multiple sticks of RAM, you need to get them all at once so they are all the same batch made by the same manufacturer and in sequential order, virtually assuring that they will work well together. If I got just 32GB and added 32GB two years from now, they might not work well together since they would not be of the same batch.

I do not want to do a 4K monitor right now and take the risk of my hardware not being able to provide enough frames-per-second with it--hardware is not quite yet up to snuff with having what it takes to make 4K monitors run smoothly in all cases. I would wind up shooting it like Elvis used to do with televisions.

I will check out the build you suggested, thank you. Is the build with which you helped an ROG member and the link's build one and the same?

kkn wrote:
get the hydro copper version graphic cards from EVGA, it got a pre mounted waterblock on them.

I considered the hydro-copper version, but I want the superclocked one, and I will supply the copper on my own.

Nate152
Yes same build same link.

I see you've done your homework and you are correct about purchasing a single 64GB ram kit rather than combining two 32GB kits, combining two ram kits are not guaranteed to work well together and can cause problems and give you a big headache, If 64GB is what you want then get a single 64GB kit. I will recommend the G.Skill Ripjaws 4, the higher the frequency the more difficult it can be to get stable and it's up to the cpu's Integrated Memory Controller if it can handle it but can usually stabilize by raising the cpu system agent voltage and the vccio voltage until stability is achieved.

The Rampage V Extreme supports up to 1 amp on the fan headers so that comes to about 4 fans (non led) maximum on each fan header. The cpu fan header is the only one that is true pwm and since you want a bunch of led's too a good fan controller would be the way to go.

You've done your homework again with a 4k monitor. If you were going with a 4k monitor you would want 3 titan x's to ensure 60FPS but as new games are released they become more demanding. You will get more life with a 3440 x 1440 monitor as you are suggesting. LOL what gun would you use to shoot the 4k monitor?

I will show you these chain gun hardline fittings

Red

http://www.performance-pcs.com/monsoon-chain-gun-hardline-compression-fittings-1-2-x-5-8-4-pack-red....

Blue

http://www.performance-pcs.com/monsoon-chain-gun-hardline-compression-fittings-1-2-x-5-8-4-pack-blue...

If you have any questions about any part of your build feel free to ask.