cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to buy a G751 OR hold out for the G752. Opinions?

chackle
Level 7
Hi all, currently I'm gaming on a PC hooked up to the TV using mouse and keyboard (long story, i won't get into it).

I'm wondering if it's worth my time waiting 60 days or whatever it is until the G752 is released or just to go for the G751 now. Any idea if the G752 will be more expensive, or likely to have cooling issues in comparison?

Basically I'm looking for a quick yes or no from a bunch of people who know the Asus line and a bit about gaming / hardware in general.

Main things I'm interested in:
- G-Sync
- Above 60hz screen refresh rate
- Keeping temps as low as possible to increase longevity of hardware
- Having a really nice looking laptop that has Macbook level build quality

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
28 REPLIES 28

TheKnight
Level 7
Wait for the new one, it has (basically) a better processor and a slightly better cooling system.

Corporal
Level 9
chackle wrote:
laptop that has Macbook level build quality

If you expect it from G751/G752, or gaming laptops in general (MSI, Alienware, ASUS, Lenovo), you will be greatly disappointed. I own a G751JY, the build quality is good, but you can't compare it to a MacBook Pro for example (my dad uses one).

Corporal wrote:
If you expect it from G751/G752, or gaming laptops in general (MSI, Alienware, ASUS, Lenovo), you will be greatly disappointed. I own a G751JY, the build quality is good, but you can't compare it to a MacBook Pro for example (my dad uses one).

I sorta figured it wouldnt be as good, but I'd like to get as close as I can while keeping it gaming focused. From what it seems Asus has better build quality than its competitors.

chackle wrote:
I sorta figured it wouldnt be as good

Some things you should expect from a G751JY(and probably G752) to not be disappointed:
Buzzing when playing music through the laptop speakers at over 70% volume,
Screen bezel requires "do it yourself" modifications to stop/reduce screen bleeding
Some keyboard keys clipping with the palm rest (<>| and right ctrl on mine)
Laptop fan noise can be distracting if you are used to your laptop being silent.
Check it for dead pixels, return if you have any.
2 Left USB ports together cap the power at about 0,5 amps, results in frequent disconnects if your external HDD draws more.

I'm generally quite satisfied with my G751JY, and I would buy it again, but I'm also aware of its shortcomings.
Despite its shortcomings,
"I would imagine that in terms of build quality in gaming laptops, the G751 is up there with the best" <- what he said

Corporal wrote:

what are you talking about? Apple build quality isn't what it's made out to be... my friends family goes through a lot of apple products, while my current g751 ends up bruising me just by bumping into it. My laptops practically a nokia

bluepinapples wrote:
what are you talking about? Apple build quality isn't what it's made out to be... my friends family goes through a lot of apple products, while my current g751 ends up bruising me just by bumping into it. My laptops practically a nokia

I assume he meant the actual quality and design of the build, not the robustness. I'm not a big Apple kinda guy, but I use a macbook for work and it's quite unmatchable in the quality department.

clockworksatan
Level 7
I abolutely despise Apple products but I can't help but grudgingly agree that their hardware is pretty unbeatable when it comes to quality and design. I just might need to go and thoroughly wash my hands after typing that.

The G751 in fairness is not really that far off Apple build quality. It's certainly miles better than MSI's in my opinion and from personal experience it's much better than any laptop I've owned before. I would imagine that in terms of build quality in gaming laptops, the G751 is up there with the best, if not at the very top of the list and have no doubt that the G752 will be of a similar standard.

In terms of cost, I wouldn't imagine that it will be much more expensive than the G751 as the specs aren't hugely different.
Asus ROG G751JT-T7115H
17.3" IPS, Intel i7-4720HQ, 16Gb RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX970m, 256Gb M.2 SSD + 1Tb SSHD

liviutatarus
Level 7
If you want to receive support and be heard (correspondence by mail) I suggest an Acer Predator 17.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhROiW1WWVs

liviutatarus wrote:
If you want to receive support and be heard (correspondence by mail) I suggest an Acer Predator 17.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhROiW1WWVs

Acer Predator Sounds really Nice in Build Quality (Which the only thing to complain about for ASUS).
In fact it might be my next laptop after 2 years.

(Having Said That, All Really people with g751 are not missing any thing its same gpu with upgraded processor and extra cooler you have to buy your self , and you can't play on 4k) and who knows the prices of those stuff. I would be sad if new gpu line up comes with dx12 exclusive features.

Pascal is the next big thing and I am not fond of goldish color (its even still bulky like 51).
But overall waiting for 52 would be worth at 1080p screen, 4k costs more and is overkill and will disappoint you if you are looking for 4k gaming.