cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On laptops and external monitors

frozenashes2
Level 7
So I'm going to be stuck with my G551JW for a long time while I go back to college and wont have funds to spend on a tower. I just simply distaste the screen on the laptop while playing games though. Does anyone have a better experience with an external monitor? I really don't want to go huge, mainly stay with 1920x1080 so I can keep my performance.

I just don't want to dump money into a stupid idea unless people can help me justify it or not...

Thanks for the input!
ROG G551JW - i7 - 4720HQ - GTX 960 2GB - 16GB RAM
ROG G751 - i7- 4710HQ - GTX 970M 3GB - 16GB RAM
6 REPLIES 6

joshindaphils
Level 11
Yes of course I love my Philips 4065uc for gaming. Having a second (or third or forth) screen is nice when working as well as it extends your desktop real estate. Once you go multi-monitor you can't go back without felling restrained IMO

Figure your budget and what features you want (trade as necessary giving budget restrictions) and go for it.

aeolisio
Level 10
Since your not going to be running high fps you might consider a led tv as a monitor. They are cheap give huge size options and extremely affordable not to meantion they can do double duty for a student. We have several laptops in the office running on samsung and lg 40+60 inch led tvs and at 1080 they work great. Most newer ones are 120hz and above. You could probably get a good used one for $200 or less on craigslist. Just an idea. I use a 4k tv and a projector for my g751 at home.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

oHOWEo
Level 7
Plugging mine into the tv was my primary objective, bringing the tower downstairs got old real quick. I tried the streaming route (hardwired) into an old Vaio but it didn't cut it. My only problem is the tv is plasma which scares me a little.

oHOWEo wrote:
Plugging mine into the tv was my primary objective, bringing the tower downstairs got old real quick. I tried the streaming route (hardwired) into an old Vaio but it didn't cut it. My only problem is the tv is plasma which scares me a little.

I've had my plasma for about 5 years now and have done a ton of gaming with static hud elements. You need not worry all burn in temporary on modern plasma (phosphorus display tech is VERY mature). I just wish that Plasma was still a viable option to buy... The picture quality is still great. I'm hoping my panel holds another few years so perhaps OLED will be a viable option for replacement.

That's reassuring Josh 😀
I agree, the picture is stunning

oHOWEo wrote:
That's reassuring Josh ��
I agree, the picture is stunning

Josh is correct most quality plasmas since 2006 have had burn in protection and before i went curved i used plasmas for years with no ill results even falling asleep with a game paused or leaving it on for a weekend with just the windows desktop opened and no screensver.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]