Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array n1ghtl1fe's Avatar

Creaking on bottom right of laptop?

Ive had my Asus 74sx for a few days now (in love with it) and the only complaint is a small creaking noise that comes from the bottom right plastic casing. Its the piece that the touch pad is on. I was wondering is there anyway for me to remove this piece without doing damage to the laptop so I can possibly see if i can fix it?

Overall, its not a huge deal it only happens if i apply pressure to the area and since I just picked it up this week I can take it back to Tiger Direct probably for a replacement but after spending that past few days setting everything up I would rather attempt a fix myself.

Anyone else have a similar issue or know of a way to solve this ? Thanks!

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by n1ghtl1fe View Post
    Ive had my Asus 74sx for a few days now (in love with it) and the only complaint is a small creaking noise that comes from the bottom right plastic casing. Its the piece that the touch pad is on. I was wondering is there anyway for me to remove this piece without doing damage to the laptop so I can possibly see if i can fix it?

Overall, its not a huge deal it only happens if i apply pressure to the area and since I just picked it up this week I can take it back to Tiger Direct probably for a replacement but after spending that past few days setting everything up I would rather attempt a fix myself.

Anyone else have a similar issue or know of a way to solve this ? Thanks!
    Is it more toward the right corner, or in front of the touchpad?

ROG Member Array

I also now have a "creak" on my new G74SX ... the case (where it gets really narrow) is loose right below the touchpad ... it moves up & down slightly now after little use.
    G74SX-A1

Quote Originally Posted by Mopard View Post
    I also now have a "creak" on my new G74SX ... the case (where it gets really narrow) is loose right below the touchpad ... it moves up & down slightly now after little use.
    Do you have one hard drive, or two?

its the right front corner underneath the ROG logo

You can check all the attachment screws in that area.

You earlier asked about removing that part, but the entire top cover is actually all one integrated piece, so you can't deal with the palmrest portion separately.

Most of the hard drive caddy screws are also chassis screws, so it's important that all those are installed and tightened. This is why I asked the last poster whether he had one drive. If the narrow area directly in front of the touchpad is loose, that sounds very much like the HDD caddy screws in drive bay #2 are missing. (A scenario that could occur if there's no 2nd drive and the caddy is removed.)

If you turn the computer over and remove the back panel, you can access the screws that secure the top cover. The important ones for the area you're talking about are the caddy screws closest to the edge, and the two screws on either side of the WLAN card. I've circled them here (along with the other caddy screws) so you can locate and tighten them, if necessary.

I went a head and checked all the screws. Still creaked so I returned it to Tiger Direct and picked up another.. Same issue with as the last bottom left under the ROG logo and Asus sticker creaks when my palm rests on it. : / not a huge deal but $1500 is a large amount to me id like it to be in new shape i guess.

Is anyone else suffering from this issue? I have the 74SX-X1, or any other way to fix this ?

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

If you can find the offending point you can lubricate it or apply a bit of talc to keep it from squeaking when it rubs.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

If there was a way to get this piece off that would work but i dont want to try prying anything to slip in glue or lubrication. Its where the bottom of the laptop casing (where the slot for a SD card is) and the top rubber texture area meet at the corner

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    If you can find the offending point you can lubricate it or apply a bit of talc to keep it from squeaking when it rubs.
    I don't think that would help. It's not that pieces are rubbing together, but that there's just a little flex in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by n1ghtl1fe View Post
    If there was a way to get this piece off that would work but i dont want to try prying anything to slip in glue or lubrication. Its where the bottom of the laptop casing (where the slot for a SD card is) and the top rubber texture area meet at the corner
    It's kind of a shame that you returned the other one, because frankly, I don't think this is an "issue," pre se. (Not to say that it isn't annoying.....) It's just the design gives that area a little flex.

Even if you remove the top cover, there isn't much you do to bolster that area. As you mentioned, it's directly over the card reader device, where it's attached to the M/B, but you can't really put something over the card reader (to push against the top). The pressure would likely have an adverse effect on the card reader.

My other suggestion (short of removing the top cover), is a little more invasive, and I can't guarantee it'll make a difference, since it's not directly under the corner "squeak" location. Open the back panel and remove the drive. You'll see about a 2mm gap between the chassis and the top cover. (With the computer upside down, you are seeing the top cover through this little holes. You can try wedging something in that gap, under the bay #1 SATA connector.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0037.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	167.3 KB 
ID:	5103

Just to reiterate, the palmrest component isn't separate from the rest of the top cover. You can't pull that off separately.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast