cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6700k code 55

Jeff_Kicks
Level 7
Got my 6700k yesterday. Spent all day setting up sm951 and installing drivers. This morning I got up and applied the xmp and ran real bench. System crashed. Looping code 55 after that. Tried different ram kit and motherboard. Bad luck I guess.
15 REPLIES 15

jbhowlesr
Level 7
Jeff Kicks wrote:
Got my 6700k yesterday. Spent all day setting up sm951 and installing drivers. This morning I got up and applied the xmp and ran real bench. System crashed. Looping code 55 after that. Tried different ram kit and motherboard. Bad luck I guess.

So, I'm going to propose to you a solution. Ditch you ASUS board and buy an MSI Gaming series Board. Here is why.

I upgraded from a Z97 board to a Z170-AR last week with a i5-6600k. Upon first boot, got all kinda weird indications and looping boots combined with asus anti-surge errors. First I thought power supply so I dropped $200 for a corsair platinum and still had the same issues. So I returned board and CPU as defective and replaced them with a MAXIMUS VIII Hero and an i5-6500. Popped them in my cases with same DDR4 memory and everything else. Same exact issues as with the previous board. I posted on here and folks replied that the DDR4 that I was using; Corsair Vengeance LPX was not right for my board and recommended G.Skill memory that is purpose made forZ170. So I ordered some and popped them in and it solved my original looping boot error but after a day, my computer randomly shutdown again and when it rebooted, I got the code 55 meaning "No memory installed". SO I hard reboot, all was well for about 40 minutes and wallah, it randomly rebooted again with the same code 55.

Now, being that my frustration had reached a boiling point since this meant a 3rd trip to fry's electronics to replace these parts, I was done with ASUS for the time being until they fix these bunk ass z170 boards. When I got there I exchanged the maximus VIII for an MSI Z170A Gaming M7 and put it all back together when I got home; same cpu, same g.skill memory, same everything. Booted it up and loaded everything back on. I gotta tell you, I have been iffy about MSI boards for a long time but this thing works like it should, using all the same parts that two Asus boards were tripping out over. I mean, I have been on this thing for 4 hours straight since first boot and it has been flawless so far.

What this all means to me is that somewhere during the design process at ASUS, they have incorporated an inferior design or a substandard part. Their products, a long time favorite of mine, has finally let me down. Plus search the web and you find countless people experiencing the same issues as I had and you are having now. As many people are wasting away trying to figure out these error codes and conditions that out right lie about the actual cause, I think it is safe to say that their z170 boards flat out just don't work as advertised. Hell, I was getting Q Codes that were not even listed in the user guide.

i believe in asus and always have. gigabyte motheboard did not help at all either. ASUS FTW!

DamianStr
Level 8
Did you try te clear the bios to default with the Cmos button

DamianStr
Level 8
And disable the switch on motherboard to off the tpu and xmp if it's on

Menthol
Level 14
Jeff, could you please list all your components so we can help you, most DDR4 kits were designed specifically for the X99 platform and work OK at default 2133mhz but not at XMP settings, clear your cmos by pushing the clr cmos button and load default setting to see if that gets you back up and running

Supr4
Level 7
If i remember i had the same thing, i just let the computer start/restart itself or reset manually when seem stuck and after 5-10 minutes it worked..

Jeff_Kicks
Level 7
maximus viii gene, gigabyte g1 gaming, kingston 32gb 2400 cl12, g skill 3000, tried all sorts of combinations. i tried cmos, board swaps. battery removal, cpu reseats like 30 times, different ram sticks all slots. i also have a rampage 5 with a 5960x this aint my first. this 6700k is dead lol.

Damian_Cray
Level 7
i have no probs with my 6600k setup i just built with HyperX fury ddr4 2400 ram... didnt check the designated ram page to see if it worked but this ram does.
im about to build a 6700k and ill see how that goes.

Jeff_Kicks
Level 7
newegg approved my cpu return. now to wait for the new one.