cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FN Key Issues and Windows 10 Driver Problems

RatJumper
Level 7
Hey Guys,

Owner of the GL551JW - DS 74 model. Just got this baby a week back and it's been an absolute pleasure! Over the past week as i've used the machine daily, there are 3 issues that i've encountered and was hoping some of you might have found a fix for them if you've experienced the same, or if you know what could be the problem. (Using Windows 10 btw)

1) This issue did not exist in the first few days, but I think I pressed something and now the laptop is constantly stuck in Airplane mode. When I try click the toggle in the notification center, it just stays enabled no matter what. I also tried press the FN + F2 key (which is the airplane mode button toggle), and it also doesnt do anything. I also went to network and internet settings within windows and tried toggle the switch off with my cursor but it stays on.

2) Bluetooth also stays on all the time. Same problem as above, none of the toggles work.

3) The FN + Enter button SOMETIMES launches the calculator. And at other times, it simply doesnt do anything when the combination is pressed.

I hope you guys can chime in and throw some thoughts onto the table as to what is going on. I searched online and found that other users (not asus notebook owners), experienced some similar problems but they werent exactly the same. The only solution that some people mentioned was to press the FN + Print Screen button in order to fix the airplane mode issue... but this did not work for me.

Thanks!
RatJumper
3 REPLIES 3

aeolisio
Level 10
Try the win 10 atk drivers. Even though its not a physical key it might undo whatever youve done.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

aeolisio wrote:
Try the win 10 atk drivers. Even though its not a physical key it might undo whatever youve done.

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the drivers and reinstalled them but it only fixed #3 in my OP. All the other issues regarding Airplane mode and Bluetooth still persist. 😞

RatJumper wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the drivers and reinstalled them but it only fixed #3 in my OP. All the other issues regarding Airplane mode and Bluetooth still persist. 😞

I think number 3 is a weird Win10 issue. From years of muscle memory I am in the habit of using Win-key+r then typing 'calc' then pressing return. This would not run the calculator... though if I launched it from the start menu (not directly calling the executable) Then a new instance would launch along with my old instance from running the command... other than this symptom I never really dug into the issue before it 'self resolved'. If you get the phantom instance of calc when launching through the start menu you are likely experience the same issue.

Interestingly enough I was migrating between a bunch of software and decided to try out a clean install... after the clean install this behavior was no longer occurring... This may be pure coincidence, perhaps a patch took care of the issue... it could be cause by some garbage in %appdata%.

Unfortunately I can only give you the additional data point that I had this bizarre issue as well, but now I don't.