cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my Maximus VIII dead? or could it be something else?

Samtheon47
Level 7
Hello,

First, thanks for reading, and thank you even more for posting any thoughts/help you can think of.

Second, a bit of background. I built this pc from start to finish myself using a clear flat table surface and static wrist guard. I bought the components from my local Frye's (with the exception of the GPU and CPU cooler, which I purchased from newegg and amazon). Most importantly, I had this build up and running flawlessly for multiple hours. I built the system on Sunday, and have run it successfully for days without problem using my old GTX 770. My new asus strix 980 ti arrived today, I installed it, and the computer played Witcher 3 at ultra settings with 60 fps and average GPU temp 50-55 degrees celsius for an hour, and MGSV at full settings without issue. I left that game on pause, went to go eat dinner, and returned to find my computer off. The power button would not work. Opening the case, I looked at the motherboard, and the 'start' and 'reset' lights were not even lit up, despite the PSU being connected and on.
I have performed every step in this post http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems, including using my old 1000 watt powersupply that I know works, rebuilding and reattaching each power and component (except the cpu heatsink) to no avail. I've also tried removing the 980ti altogether. Still no power to the mobo.

When I look at the mobo, a red led strip along the outter edge and back of the board lights up when it is connected to a power supply. I'm not sure what this is (haven't found it in the manual), perhaps the 'standby' light. But to be clear, neither the 'start' or 'reset' button lights turn on, nor does the Q-code in the upper right.

I've confirmed the GPU and power supply work with my old system and tried my old 1000W Coolermaster PSU with the new mobo/system with the same result, led strip along lower left of board lights up, but now power/reset, no post.. Can't verify the cpu or ram, as my old system uses an older chipset/ddr type.

Any thoughts? Should I go to Frye's and ask for a replacement mobo?

Thanks again

My system:

Case: Corsair Spec 02
CPU: i7-6700k
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12
GPU: Asus Strix 980ti
Mobo: Asus Maximus VIII Z170 Hero
HD: Samsung EVO 850 SSD (this works fine, using it now to post this on my old system)
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 850W 80 Plus Gold
Memory: 16gb (2x8) Patriot DDR4 2400
9 REPLIES 9

jbhowlesr
Level 7
So, I'm going to propose to you a solution. Ditch you ASUS board and buy an MSI Gaming series Board. Here is why.

I upgraded from a Z97 board to a Z170-AR last week with a i5-6600k. Upon first boot, got all kinda weird indications and looping boots combined with asus anti-surge errors. First I thought power supply so I dropped $200 for a corsair platinum and still had the same issues. So I returned board and CPU as defective and replaced them with a MAXIMUS VIII Hero and an i5-6500. Popped them in my cases with same DDR4 memory and everything else. Same exact issues as with the previous board. I posted on here and folks replied that the DDR4 that I was using; Corsair Vengeance LPX was not right for my board and recommended G.Skill memory that is purpose made forZ170. So I ordered some and popped them in and it solved my original looping boot error but after a day, my computer randomly shutdown again and when it rebooted, I got the code 55 meaning "No memory installed". SO I hard reboot, all was well for about 40 minutes and wallah, it randomly rebooted again with the same code 55.

Now, being that my frustration had reached a boiling point since this meant a 3rd trip to fry's electronics to replace these parts, I was done with ASUS for the time being until they fix these bunk ass z170 boards. When I got there I exchanged the maximus VIII for an MSI Z170A Gaming M7 and put it all back together when I got home; same cpu, same g.skill memory, same everything. Booted it up and loaded everything back on. I gotta tell you, I have been iffy about MSI boards for a long time but this thing works like it should, using all the same parts that two Asus boards were tripping out over. I mean, I have been on this thing for 4 hours straight since first boot and it has been flawless so far.

What this all means to me is that somewhere during the design process at ASUS, they have incorporated an inferior design or a substandard part. Their products, a long time favorite of mine, has finally let me down. Plus search the web and you find countless people experiencing the same issues as I had and you are having now. As many people are wasting away trying to figure out these error codes and conditions that out right lie about the actual cause, I think it is safe to say that their z170 boards flat out just don't work as advertised. Hell, I was getting Q Codes that were not even listed in the user guide.

Menthol
Level 14
My Hero VIII has worked flawlessly, I would return it for a replacement. make sure the memory is on the QVL list, make sure to take care installing the CPU and mounting of the Heatsink

Samtheon47
Level 7
Menthol - where is the QVL? The MOBO manual lists a bunch of types of ram and their timing settings. Is that list what you mean?

Also, I took as much care as I knew how. Watched two how-to videos before doing it (one by LinusTechTips, one by Asus's guy [the z170 and micro z170 build guides)). Put the dollup of paste onto the top of the cpu as directed, screwed both sides down on the heat sink a bit at a time, swtiching off. And again, the system ran flawlessly for days, with no CPU heating problems (seriously, the heatsink was revelation for a guy who's had two liquid cpu coolers go bad - who needs em with temps like this from a $50 heatsink). I really don't think this was a CPU heating issue. I left my MGSV game on pause, came back and found the system off...and the mobo bricked, have never been able to power it up again. To me, if this was a CPU issue, wouldn't the MOBO still power up for start, but not just successfully start up into bios? Same goes for memory, if it was a memory problem, I would think I'd be getting a Q-Code error. The MOBO is simply dead and can't power on.

Samtheon47 wrote:
Menthol - where is the QVL? The MOBO manual lists a bunch of types of ram and their timing settings. Is that list what you mean?

Also, I took as much care as I knew how. Watched two how-to videos before doing it (one by LinusTechTips, one by Asus's guy [the z170 and micro z170 build guides)). Put the dollup of paste onto the top of the cpu as directed, screwed both sides down on the heat sink a bit at a time, swtiching off. And again, the system ran flawlessly for days, with no CPU heating problems (seriously, the heatsink was revelation for a guy who's had two liquid cpu coolers go bad - who needs em with temps like this from a $50 heatsink). I really don't think this was a CPU heating issue. I left my MGSV game on pause, came back and found the system off...and the mobo bricked, have never been able to power it up again. To me, if this was a CPU issue, wouldn't the MOBO still power up for start, but not just successfully start up into bios? Same goes for memory, if it was a memory problem, I would think I'd be getting a Q-Code error. The MOBO is simply dead and can't power on.

RMA the board - when you get the replacement set it up on a non-conductive surface and run it that way for a few days (don't install in a case). A shutdown during runtime and subsequent non-power up means that something possibly happened at the PSU or board side. I'd try using your known okay PSU from the other system with the new build - don't use the other PSU off the bat lest there is a fault (some PSU faults require a scope to find).

Was the system overclocked in any way?

Samtheon47
Level 7
Hi Raja:

Thanks for the response. No it wasn't overclocked. My goal was quiet and low-heat for the build. In terms of non-conductive, will do. I built it up on my mobo package and it posted, then ran several days fine installed in the case. Then ran for several hours after I put in the 980ti and closed up the case again. And it was still standing when I came back to find it off, so it seems extremely random that any conductivity would be the issue given the way it played out. Just fyi I did use mobo standoffs for the installation into the case - they come preinstalled on the Spec 2 case. Is there any other product or sheeting I should put into the case first before the mobo? When you say RMA, should I do that instead of just going to Frye's and getting a replacement (hopefully tonight)? I'd like to get this thing resolved asap.

Samtheon47
Level 7
An update to my continuing twisted saga:

Last night I took my bricked maximus VIII out of the case, removed the cpu and ram etc and put it back in its original packaging. Fry's accepted the return without issue, giving me a new MOBO, same make/model. Upon returning home, I proceeded to rebuild. The new board posted and worked just fine. Full speed ahead.

EXCEPT:

My hard ssd drive's boot files corrupted. Thus, I had to pull out my old Windows 7 sata hdd. Except, when I loaded that up, for some reason, windows didn't want to recognize any USB or ethernet inputs. Meaning I literally couldn't use my mouse, keyboard (which worked in UEFI bios) to do anything. It also meant I couldn't use my flash drive to install drivers for the usb/chipset, etc. After multiple resets/safe mode attempts, Windows 7 finally decided to recognize my keyboard/mouse again - but not my usb drive. So I pulled my blu ray drive off my old pc, put in the Asus drivers disk that came with the MOBO and pressed run. The ROG installer crashed. So I manually went into each director and installed the various USB, ethernet, and chipset drivers.

My PC is now back to running/loading based on my old windows 7 drive. Next step is to fix my ssd boot and re-upgrade to windows 10 (it had to revert to windows 7 for the 'last stable build' only to then have that windows 7 build's boot file screw up). I imagine first step for me will be to setup a windows 7 boot usb that I can use to fix the ssd's boot files and get that ssd back to being my main boot disk. From there, I'll re-upgrade to windows 10 (which has been a pain given I'm working off an OEM version of windows, which doesn't play very nicely with the windows 10 upgrade).

Wow...fun stuff. Isn't it great being a member of the PC Master Race?

Raja
Level 13
The first board dying randomly still sounds off to me - especially shortly after installing the GPU. I'd even go so far as to make sure the PC case mountings for the VGA aren't buckling the board in any way. Have also heard of people leaving one too many standoffs in new cases before so I never discount it when someone cites random death. Have also heard of PSUs that have slight faults killing boards over time. These are all things one can overlook easily.

is there any news about rog Phoebus win 10 drivers

Samtheon47
Level 7
Update:

Three days later and my machine is running like a silent quiet dream. Crushes MGSV, Witcher 3, etc. without breaking a sweat (I can't get over the fact that the fan doesn't even really turn on for the Strix when playing games like LOL). Gorgeous stuff.

The MOBO has had zero problems. It took me another day (had to go to work) to get Windows 7 recovered, then windows 10 installed (upgrading from a prior OEM windows 7 is a pain - media creation tricks were required) and all my drivers re-installed again. But since then it's been smooth sailing. The Spec 2 can be a pain to constantly tinker with, but once your stuff is in and it's shut it cuts a great profile, with a simple red light scheme - very HAL. While I'm tempted to start testing overclocks, given how great it's performing, I see no reason. I'm awaiting a true 4k 144 hz IPS monitor from Asus or Samsung, still rocking my 24VGQ or whatever the model is (the 3d one). Don't really feel like paying to ugprade to the 2560x2300 whatever ROG monitors asus has out now.

Anyway, trials and tribulations are hopefully behind me. Knock on wood.