cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme w/SLI

Tincup
Level 7
I have the RVE X99 motherboard with 2 Titan X graphics cards. I have been battling this thing for a month. If I put the two cards in Sli mode the computer will not post. Computer runs great on one card. If I unplug the lower graphics card the computer will boot up. At first I thought a bad graphics card because the computer would not recognize the second card. Switched places on the motherboard and it recognized it. I contacted Microsoft about the Windows 10 two days ago because it wouldn't boot up and my restore points were gone. They suggested disconnecting one card. I did and it booted up. I called Asus tech this morning and their suggestion was to install Windows 7 and see how it works. I thought I would ask the ROG group before I call Newegg and get a replacement. I would just get a refund but that's not in the cards. Help me if you can. Tincup
18 REPLIES 18

onnovampire
Level 7
remove the creative soundcard and drivers ,and use the build in audio, i have it working with 3 titan x look at my specs, just an idea.

did you install windows 10 64 bits in uefi mode? because that is better.

set both cards to pci e gen3.

onnovampire
Level 7
is your os installed with raid5?
if yes install os very basis with one ssd for example.
use bios 1701.

GoNz0-
Level 10
will not post or will not boot up? unsure why you have been told to install windows 7 by an asus tech if it doesn't post, well it wouldn't surprise me at all but let's get things straight 1st 🙂

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I have windows 10 installed 2x Titan X working perfectly so it can be done no problem...not an OS thing.

Things to check...

remove anything else from PCIe lanes. Try one card at a time in first red slot. Then try one card at a time in third red slot. If same card fails both slots it's the card. If same slot fails both cards...it may be board or CPU since controller is on CPU.

If both cards work separately try different SLI bridge

What PSU do you have? is GPU EZ plug for additional power plugged in....are you powering cards with separate cable to power inputs or running a ribbon cable to power both inputs on one card? Are 8pin 4pin and 24pin ATX power connections checked and connected. Have you tried reseating CPU?

Are PCIe lane switches "on"...are lights on next to occupied lanes?

Does the board stop at a particular post code

Have you updated board BIOS...tried second BIOS

Have you tried clean OS install?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I have windows 10 installed 2x Titan X working perfectly so it can be done no problem...not an OS thing.

Things to check...

remove anything else from PCIe lanes. Try one card at a time in first red slot. Then try one card at a time in third red slot. If same card fails both slots it's the card. If same slot fails both cards...it may be board or CPU since controller is on CPU.

If both cards work separately try different SLI bridge

What PSU do you have? is GPU EZ plug for additional power plugged in....are you powering cards with separate cable to power inputs or running a ribbon cable to power both inputs on one card? Are 8pin 4pin and 24pin ATX power connections checked and connected. Have you tried reseating CPU?

Are PCIe lane switches "on"...are lights on next to occupied lanes?

Does the board stop at a particular post code

Have you updated board BIOS...tried second BIOS

Have you tried clean OS install?

Arne, can you tell me where to get the EZ Plug cable, I've looked for one but can't find any one who carries them? I appreciate any help any one can give me on this subject.

Qwinn
Level 11
From what you describe, I'm betting this is almost certainly a result of insufficient power from your PSU.

Qwinn
Level 11
"From what you describe, I'm betting this is almost certainly a result of insufficient power from your PSU. "

Or insufficient power to the PSU from the wall/power strip. Make sure the computer is not sharing power with other devices like monitor or printer.

Korth
Level 14
"EZ-Plug" happens to be a standard 4-pin molex, the sort used for clunky old floppies and HDDs. ATX specs still require a minimum of one of these output connectors on every PSU - modular PSUs probably include a few adapters in the box.

lol, Asus chose this connector because it is always present and almost everything runs off SATA power these days so it's rarely used.

You could splice any 12V power/ground into the EZ-Plug, but modifying the PSU is serious business and probably voids warranty on everything you plug it into. If you don't have the correct connector then you should purchase a $2 adapter cable or a different PSU.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

cekim
Level 11
One thing that's been bugging me about this EZ plug thing is that I've had stability problems (at idle, not load) for quite some time. I picked up an X99-PRO and the PSU, CPU, RAM and even SLI 980's all run just fine in the X99-PRO, but the R5E is freezes randomly over night (though never under heavy load).

Here's where I am really confused: The X99-PRO not only does not have the EZPlug, but it does not have the additional PCIe 4 pin connector. So the SLI 980's get their juice from directly from the PSU.

I realize that this likely means my R5E is just defective, but I am wondering why the R5E is using 2 additional connectors when even overclocked the X99, does not appear to require them? That and this EZ plug is not exactly a high-current connection by the gauge of the wire, so where exactly does this go and what is relying on it?