cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS support for ES (Engineering Sample) CPU

alecela
Level 7
What's Asus' stance on support for Engineering Sample CPU?

Just found out from the local service centre that for the new BIOS, Asus will NOT suppport ES series of CPU anymore. Is that a newly announced policy?

For a normal mainstream motherboard, I can sort of understand. However, for a overclocker/gamer oriented series of motherboard, like my Maximus IV Gene-Z, I'm a bit surprised by this. These ES are generally quite overclockable, therefore it would be crucial to include them in terms of supporting CPU, what do you think?
i5-2500k @ 100 x 47 * Asus Maximux IV Gene-Z on 0403 BIOS * Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600CL9 4Gbx2 * Powercolor 6950 @ 920 2GB GDDR5 @ 5400 * Plextor PX-128M2S 128Gb * Seagate ST2000DL003 * LG CA30L BD-DVD Lightscribe * Corsair HX620 * Silverstone FT03 * ThermalRight Venomous X + TR-FBD-12-1600
2 REPLIES 2

Spathi
Level 9
You can turn off max CPUID check, but I agree that is dodge, my old PC had an ES from China and it was super nice.

xeromist
Engineering samples are black market goods. They are loaned to companies that need to test with the requirement that they will be returned or destroyed. End users should not have them so there's no way that ASUS could officially support them. To do so would be implicit support of a black market.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…