cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAXIMUS VIII RANGER 0801 Bios

pk1209
Level 8
Hi,

Just notice this Bios is now out of beta - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-RANGER/HelpDesk_Download/

Anyone here been using it - is it solid?

Cheers
26 REPLIES 26

salman31
Level 7
Yes, i just downloaded it but have not update it yet as I'm still on 0508 which is stable for me. It seems that not many people in this forum is using
Ranger. I see a lot of Heros.

d5aqoep
Level 8
LMAO have they made any actual changes to the BIOS code or just removed the beta tag from their website?

I use VIII Ranger and I am slightly disappointed with it. G.Skill RipJaws 4 DDR4 PC24000 3000Mhz does not run at XMP profile 3000 Mhz correctly. It errors out on Memtest.
I have to bump up the voltage to ridiculous levels to get it stable at 3000. Setting it to 2800 Mhz with default voltage passes Memtest.

Also, setting it to run at 3000 Mhz causes 20 seconds delay to POST (time taken for display to show on monitor on pressing power button of the cabinet)

Overall, a poor effort by ASUS. Maybe they have not figured out how to implement Intel's new power delivery system which places the controls in the hands of Motherboard manufacturers.

Google Z170 ASUS and DDR4 compatibility issues and people have written essays about it.

salman31
Level 7
So far I'm don't have any issues with my Ranger. Been running it for 3 weeks now with Kingston HyperX Fury 2133Mhz 2 x 8GB with XMP profile swt in the BIOS and i5 6600K @ 4.7GHz stable.

I have today updated to 801 BIOS on my ranger in hope to resolve issues i've been having with the motherboard getting stuck on b2 qcode intermittently with my Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C14 memory from a cold boot only. The workaround is to reboot the PC. I believe from reading on the forums due is somehow due to "memory training", memtest86 says my memory is fine after multiple passes.

However I have come across another problem after updating - when BIOS screen/settings entered it is displayed in very low resolution which is then scaled up by my monitor making it hard to read. This is on default settings with no changes after flash. I have a 1920 x 1080 Dell UltraSharp U2414H monitor connected via Displayport running off the integrated graphics on my i7-6700k CPU. I had to roll back 401 BIOS and problem went away. Has anyone else come across this problem?

pk1209
Level 8
Might give it a couple weeks, main reason for upgrading was to get more out of my Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3200MHz which is running around 2900. Stable on 401 here otherwise, 508 isn't even a download option for the Ranger that I can see?

salman31
Level 7
I just update my Ranger to 0801 and all went fine. I got no issues in the BIOS resolution, All are normal like before. What I can see now in Tweaker's Paradise, they added an option to change the FCLK from default 800Mhz to 1GHz and I set it to 1Ghz. My stored profiles are gone though, it is normal I think but I just saved a new one.

Edit : It seems that BIOS 0801 is booting a bit longer than 0508, not that much only a few seconds extra.

I just upgraded to 0801. Now AI Suite 3 keeps crashing (stopped responding error message from windows)) after a few minutes after booting into windows 10. Any way to fix this?

salman31
Level 7
So far I don't have any issues on AI Suite 3 using this bios. Make sure SVID is set to Auto and not Disable otherwise you will get problem with the AI Suite.

salman31 wrote:
So far I don't have any issues on AI Suite 3 using this bios. Make sure SVID is set to Auto and not Disable otherwise you will get problem with the AI Suite.

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately AI Suite 3 still crashes on my system. I was using the suite with the 5 way optimization function (Target-Mhz to 4300 on my 6600k) before the update and did not change anything else. After upgrading from the 501 (not sure aboutthe exact number) to the 801 version without changing anything else AI Suite 3 crashes. It autostarts minimized with windows 10 but after a few minutes it "disappears" from the taskbar. Or if i open the interface up it will give me the error message after a few minutes.
I tried to re-run the opimization but there was not difference regarding the crashes.