cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I lose my warranty if I open up my laptop to put in more RAM

Xellion
Level 7
I am one of the careful types so I hope I could get a real answer to this.

Do I lose my warranty if I open up my Laptop and add more RAM's to it? It says it has two empty tracks.
5 REPLIES 5

Carnoustie
Level 9
no 🙂

Do you work for Asus? I am sry, I am just really careful.

clockworksatan
Level 7
It depends on where you are installing the RAM.

If you just open the panel on the underside of your laptop to install RAM (and I'm assuming you have a G751) it's a user-servicable area so opening it won't affect your warranty.

If, however, you are opening your machine up completely to access the memory slots that are hidden beneath the keyboard then yes, doing that can affect your warranty if you make it obvious that you've opened the machine. From what I understand, there are no stickers or tamper seals on the laptop so as long as you're careful you shouldn't invalidate your warranty by installing RAM.
Asus ROG G751JT-T7115H
17.3" IPS, Intel i7-4720HQ, 16Gb RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX970m, 256Gb M.2 SSD + 1Tb SSHD

Xellion
Level 7
Thank you so much!

JustinThyme
Level 13
The warranty is pretty specific.

This Warranty does not include failure caused by improper
installation, operation, cleaning or maintenance, accident, damage, misuse,
abuse, non-ASUS modifications to the product, any software programs, normal
wear and tear or any other event, act, default or omission outside ASUS’
control.

In other words even if you change/add the RAM in the so called user service panel or even change the HDD they can summarily deny warranty coverage unless the modifications were done by an authorized ASUS service center.

Would the entirety of that stand up in a court? Probably not but such things are drafted with the intention that no one will challenge it over attorney costs exceeding the cost of a new machine. Bottom line, if you change anything make sure first and foremost that you don't cause any damage doing it or tracks that you have been where you should not have. Secondly, save all original hardware in its factory state including hard drives. Replacing the HDD is the very first thing I did however the original is in its pristine state along with all of the ram sticks in the original box and put away for safe keeping. I changed out all of my sticks and you cant tell I was ever in the machine. If it needs to go back for service all original equipment will be put pack in.

How a company handles warranty issues is more about the integrity of the company than it is whats written on the warranty card. If you look deep enough pretty much every companies written warranty gives them the out to claim that failure was not their fault. What separates good customer service from the rest is how they handle it. Get a bad reputation and you wont have to worry about warranties any more as no one will buy your goods.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein