Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Unhappy Similar Issue

Hi all, been experiencing a similar problem for the past 3 months and it's driving me nuts

i7 6700k
    Asus Maximus Hero VIII
    16GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance DDR4
    Gigabyte 980Ti Xtreme
    Samsung EVO 500GB 850 SSD
    EVGA SuperNova 750W 80 Plus Gold PSU
    Windows 10 Pro 64Bit (1511)

I bought the mobo as part of an OCUK kit that had a guaranteed OC of 4.5Ghz on the CPU.

PC occasionally reboots itself (audible noise first on crash), not too often - perhaps once or twice a week.
    Sometimes when booting from cold in a morning I'll get a Safe Mode error on the BIOS, my RAM will clock itself back down to 2133Mhz despite the settings still being applied. Only way to get it back to 3000Mhz is to clear cmos or reset to defaults save, reboot, then reapply.
    Other issue is sometimes after shutdown after a minute or so the PC will boot itself backup!

I have run a memtest for a few hours and that came back clear, issue still occurs when on the basic XMP profile. Also have tried clocking my RAM back down to 3000Mhz as recommended by OCUK but still occurs.
    Have updated the BIOS twice (currently on 2001) Reformatted and reinstalled Windows a couple of times, have even bought a new Belkin surge protected power strip, as I was getting paranoid!

Not sure if all 3 issues are related or separate. Feels like the crashing could be driver related (as Intel above), but don't see how that would effect a cold boot.
    Only other thing I can think of is the connecting block that asus provides for the front panel. I installed this prior to any OC'ing on the rig (previously had the cables plugged directly to the board) pretty sure I got everything the right way around, but wondered if that could be causing a short?

Any help greatly appreciated

ROG Member Array ttony PC Specs
    ttony PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus Hero VIII
    ProcessorIntel i7-6700k
    Memory (part number)2x8GB Hyperx DDR4
    Graphics Card #1Asus GTX 1070 STRIX 8GB
    MonitorBenQ G2000W
    Storage #1Samsung 850 evo 250GB
    Storage #2Seagate SV35.5 2TB
    CPU CoolerCooler CPU Scythe Ninja 3 rev. B
    CaseNZXT 530 Phantom
    Power SupplyCorsair CS750M
    Keyboard Redragon Yaksa Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse Zalman ZM-M400
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterTP-LINK Archer C7

My advice. Update bios and leave OC to default. Reinstall OS , put windows 8.1 and try it for 1 week .

I don't believe of shorts in your case . Did you receive bluescreen or just it freezes ?

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by sHAYM4N View Post
    Hi all, been experiencing a similar problem for the past 3 months and it's driving me nuts

i7 6700k
    Asus Maximus Hero VIII
    16GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance DDR4
    Gigabyte 980Ti Xtreme
    Samsung EVO 500GB 850 SSD
    EVGA SuperNova 750W 80 Plus Gold PSU
    Windows 10 Pro 64Bit (1511)

I bought the mobo as part of an OCUK kit that had a guaranteed OC of 4.5Ghz on the CPU.

PC occasionally reboots itself (audible noise first on crash), not too often - perhaps once or twice a week.
    Sometimes when booting from cold in a morning I'll get a Safe Mode error on the BIOS, my RAM will clock itself back down to 2133Mhz despite the settings still being applied. Only way to get it back to 3000Mhz is to clear cmos or reset to defaults save, reboot, then reapply.
    Other issue is sometimes after shutdown after a minute or so the PC will boot itself backup!

I have run a memtest for a few hours and that came back clear, issue still occurs when on the basic XMP profile. Also have tried clocking my RAM back down to 3000Mhz as recommended by OCUK but still occurs.
    Have updated the BIOS twice (currently on 2001) Reformatted and reinstalled Windows a couple of times, have even bought a new Belkin surge protected power strip, as I was getting paranoid!

Not sure if all 3 issues are related or separate. Feels like the crashing could be driver related (as Intel above), but don't see how that would effect a cold boot.
    Only other thing I can think of is the connecting block that asus provides for the front panel. I installed this prior to any OC'ing on the rig (previously had the cables plugged directly to the board) pretty sure I got everything the right way around, but wondered if that could be causing a short?

Any help greatly appreciated
    What is your RAM specs? Have you tried to take 1 ram stick out one by one and see if the problem goes away? (take one Ram stick out - restart. If no problem the ram stick you took out is defective. Still problem, take the next Ram out and see if problem is gone.

What PSU do ypu have?

One more question? Who said there is a guaranteed OC? No one can guarantee anything if Overclocked. So contact who you bought your computer from and tell about your problem. And try to load optimized defaults in Bios and see if problem goes away. I don'r see any gain in getting 100 Mhz. You will not notice any difference from 4.4 Ghz.
    Last edited by emsir; 10-17-2016 at 12:54 PM.

ROG Member Array

Lightbulb Sound Blaster Z

The cause for me turned out to be my Sound Blaster Z. Once I removed the card and went back to onboard audio, the issue was completely resolved.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by ttony View Post
    My advice. Update bios and leave OC to default. Reinstall OS , put windows 8.1 and try it for 1 week .

I don't believe of shorts in your case . Did you receive bluescreen or just it freezes ?
    Thanks, Just a restart, no blue screen - only a quick audible stutter if sound is already playing. Similar to a quick power cut. Have reset the BIOS to defaults, and will see how it pans out for the week. No longer have a copy of Windows 8.1 to try (bought OEM 10 so no rollback).
    Do get the feeling that it is RAM related as the temps seem fine on the OC and the CPU does hold, only the RAM that clocks itself back down.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by emsir View Post
    What is your RAM specs? Have you tried to take 1 ram stick out one by one and see if the problem goes away? (take one Ram stick out - restart. If no problem the ram stick you took out is defective. Still problem, take the next Ram out and see if problem is gone.

What PSU do ypu have?

One more question? Who said there is a guaranteed OC? No one can guarantee anything if Overclocked. So contact who you bought your computer from and tell about your problem. And try to load optimized defaults in Bios and see if problem goes away. I don'r see any gain in getting 100 Mhz. You will not notice any difference from 4.4 Ghz.
    Thanks, specs above ^

Totally agree! I know nothing is guaranteed, but that's how the kit is sold in the description, so it has been picked & tested for compatibility I would presume, so didn't expect so many problems.
    I would at least expect the XMP profile to be stable.

I haven't tested each RAM stick yet no (only memtest for a few hours which came back clear). I use the system daily as a work machine (Designer) so don't really want to slow it down that much (as the problem only occurs once or twice a week). I do suspect it could be RAM related though (or the mobo's RAM control) because that seems to be the only thing that is clocked down after the crash (despite the settings still being applied in the BIOS)

ROG Member Array Wizzzzard PC Specs
    Wizzzzard PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus VIII Hero
    ProcessorSkylake 6700k
    Memory (part number)16gig 3200mhz gskill ripjaws
    Graphics Card #1GTX980oc ed
    Sound CardAuzentech XFI Forte
    MonitorDell U2410
    Storage #1Samsung Pro 256mb
    Storage #2Samsung Pro 256mb
    CPU CoolerThermalright Venomous-X
    CaseThermaltake Chaser MK-I
    Power SupplyToPower T-750 Modular
    Mouse Logitech G5
    Headset Superlux 668B
    Headset/Speakers Logitech z506
    OS Windows 7 64
    Network Router100mbit Netgear cable modem with onboard gigabit router

Add me to the list I have the same or a similar problem, my computer doesn't reboot half the time, when it fails to boot there is no startup beep no bios post nothing just a black screen.

The system is not overclocked!

Funny thing is I had trouble with my last big budget asus board and it also would not restart without a shutdown, that's why I upgraded to this board and system to get away from this rubbish, my next build will not be using an asus board at this rate.
    Last edited by Wizzzzard; 11-08-2016 at 07:09 AM.

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

Hi Wizzzzard

Welcome to the ROG forum.

What ram kit do you have and do you have XMP enabled?

ROG Member Array Wizzzzard PC Specs
    Wizzzzard PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus VIII Hero
    ProcessorSkylake 6700k
    Memory (part number)16gig 3200mhz gskill ripjaws
    Graphics Card #1GTX980oc ed
    Sound CardAuzentech XFI Forte
    MonitorDell U2410
    Storage #1Samsung Pro 256mb
    Storage #2Samsung Pro 256mb
    CPU CoolerThermalright Venomous-X
    CaseThermaltake Chaser MK-I
    Power SupplyToPower T-750 Modular
    Mouse Logitech G5
    Headset Superlux 668B
    Headset/Speakers Logitech z506
    OS Windows 7 64
    Network Router100mbit Netgear cable modem with onboard gigabit router

Quote Originally Posted by Nate152 View Post
    Hi Wizzzzard

Welcome to the ROG forum.

What ram kit do you have and do you have XMP enabled?
    XMP is enabled and I have 16gig of gskill 3200mhz.

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

Thank you

Before I tell you to try adjusting some voltages does your pc boot all the time at default settings? That is to say with your ram at 2133MHz?

In the bios hit the F5 key to reset to defaults and see how it boots, if it boots every time then try this:

Extreme Tweaker Tab

AI Overclock Tuner - XMP

VCCIO voltage 1.15v - 1.20v
    CPU System Agent voltage 1.15v - 1.20v

Start with both at 1.15v then F10 and Enter to save and exit, if it's still giving you problems try both at 1.20v.

Is it any better?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast