cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Black Edition

10Wredny
Level 7
Are there any information about Rampage V Black Edition? I'm affraid that ASUS will release it after Broadwell-E premiere..
11 REPLIES 11

Techotic
Level 7
None, just speculation. BE's historically have been released before the end of the boards life-cycle. Since X99 is fairly new, I'd say at least a year or more from now. Broadwell-E is due Q1 next year, so of course it won't be released before that.

Vlada011
Level 10
I was so stupid I wait without reason I could build X99 4-5 months earlier, but never mind.
Whole platform pass waiting on Black Edition, better upgrade now, if he show up later you could lose maybe 100-130$ after you sell your
motherboard and upgrade on Black Edition. I couldn't wait more. And now I'm even sorry because I wait so much. But OK when I think better I bought processor in May lot of cheaper than new. I think Black Edition will show up if
Skylake E is compatible with our platform.
Than they will give us BIOS update and new motherboard for Skylake E. If not they will build Rampage 6 Extreme for Skylake probably mostly with
Black color.
Skylake E will be incredible platform. 3200-3500MHz Quad Channel, PCH Gen 3, more lanes.
Who knows If I find cheap CPU as this year maybe I build and new platform.
Anyway memory could stay I don't need over 3000MHz.

Vlada011
Level 10
I would be very angry on self to miss nice platform with relatively cheap 6 core processor only because motherboard in full black color.
Special if Intel increase price for 80-100$ per CPU next year.
It would be fantastic if Intel decide to leave I7-6820K 6 core same as i7-3820/4820K (4 cores) and to build i7-6930K and i7-6960X both with 8
cores. Uhhh... 3.5GHz base clock 8 cores for 500$... with 20MB Cache.

Techotic
Level 7
Upgrade now if you want to jump to X99.

Black Edition motherboards, historically, have always been released at the end the product lifecycle. It's been like that since the Rampage III and IV, the Black Editions were launched 2 years or so after initial release. RVE was released late last year, so there is still plenty life and time left. I suspect the RVE Black Edition will be released Q2 next year (and will be designed and optimized for Broadwell-E and all the latest features with built in U3.1 ports) - a few months before the release of Skylake-E (supposedly to be released Q3 next year).

As of now, the current RVE should easily support Broadwell-E released in Q1 2016, so creating a Black Edition now wouldn't make any sense yet.

Techotic wrote:

Black Edition motherboards, historically, have always been released at the end the product lifecycle. It's been like that since the Rampage III and IV, the Black Editions were launched 2 years or so after initial release. RVE was released late last year, so there is still plenty life and time left. I suspect the RVE Black Edition will be released Q2 next year (and will be designed and optimized for Broadwell-E and all the latest features with built in U3.1 ports) - a few months before the release of Skylake-E (supposedly to be released Q3 next year).

As of now, the current RVE should easily support Broadwell-E released in Q1 2016, so creating a Black Edition now wouldn't make any sense yet.

Yes I agree with you. They shouldn't launch Black Edition only because Interna USB 3.1 Port.
But they should launch Rampage 5 Extreme with Internal USB 3.1 same as ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1.
That was not hard.

Techotic wrote:

I don`t think Skylake-E will be released next year and more likely will be sometime in 2017.
http://wccftech.com/intel-broadwelle-scheduled-launch-q1-2016-feature-8-6-core-skus-retaining-suppor...
Intel i7 5960X @ OC 4.5GHz, Asus R5E, XSPC AX360, G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB DDR4-3000MHz, BeQuiet 1200W PSU, Cooler Master Cosmos 2, Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP, Creative X-Fi Titanium, 2 X Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0, 2 X Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB RAID 0, LG BH10LS30

Sylver123 wrote:
I don`t think Skylake-E will be released next year and more likely will be sometime in 2017.
http://wccftech.com/intel-broadwelle-scheduled-launch-q1-2016-feature-8-6-core-skus-retaining-suppor...

Yeah, I actually got the release info from this article, on the same site...

"Intel HEDT Skylake-E in Q3 2016, Broadwell-E in Q1 2016

Intel’s roadmap also gives a update on their High-End desktop platforms. We know from past reports that Intel is launching Broadwell-E in Q1 2016 which will be support by the current X99 chipset based motherboards that feature the LGA 2011-3 socket. The next update arrives in the form of Skylake-E that will launch in Q3 2016. No details are provided but it is expected that the platform will issue a new series of chipsets and a different socket layout as compared to X99.
"

Source: http://wccftech.com/intel-processor-roadmap-leaked-10nm-cannonlake-skylakee-arrives-q3-2016-skylake-...

Although that was published 4 months ago. It looks like it will get pushed into 2017.

Korth
Level 14
The inclusion of native USB3.1 and a black paint job just doesn't seem like enough to justify a major revision of a flagship motherboard, in my opinion.

The original RVE is already so packed with tech that there's not a lot more they could add in at this time. Some competing mobos can support slightly faster top-end memory, a few more PCIe 3.0 lane configurations, arrays of useless LED bling ... and there are always trade-offs (often in terms of stability) ... all this tech is good to have, but even collectively is still not quite enough (in my opinion) to claim a complete mobo revision. Better to wait until next-gen Broadwell and LGA2011-3 comes out.

The RVE is still elite, still top-tier in performance and stability, still in demand, still selling well. I don't think Asus is (or even should be) in any hurry to release an improved model until they notice sales of their best model are starting to decline.

Besides, hardly anybody actually has any USB3.1 devices to plug into those ports. And the native USB3.1 currently imposes the same costs (in locked out mobo resources/lanes and in price) as does a PCIe-USB card, so there isn't yet any real gain aside from having one less card to impede airflow in your case.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]