cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SupremeFX on Maximus VII Formula

Sturmgewehr_44
Level 7
This might possibly be a bit of a copypasta:

According to Linus, and Asus (obviously), the audio on the Maximus VII Formula is supposed to be pretty good. Considering I just got and installed my own Maximus VII Formula, I'm curious. Is it actually any good? Is it as good as some dedicated sound card(s) or maybe an external DAC?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr-Hcri2g4A

Anyway, I've been asking these series of questions all over the place and never got a decent answer. Is the audio hardware on-board the M7F really that good, or is it some tacky Realtek (I know the Maximus VII Formula uses a Realtek ALC1150) crap with some extra flair added to it?
4 REPLIES 4

Heini
Level 11
SupremeFX is better than most on-board sound devices but it doesn't beat the mid to high end discrete units. It would take an mATX layout on an full ATX board with with the extra room used for dedicated sound hardware to compete.

Quixote
Level 7
Sturmgewehr_44 wrote:
This might possibly be a bit of a copypasta:

According to Linus, and Asus (obviously), the audio on the Maximus VII Formula is supposed to be pretty good. Considering I just got and installed my own Maximus VII Formula, I'm curious. Is it actually any good? Is it as good as some dedicated sound card(s) or maybe an external DAC?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr-Hcri2g4A

Anyway, I've been asking these series of questions all over the place and never got a decent answer. Is the audio hardware on-board the M7F really that good, or is it some tacky Realtek (I know the Maximus VII Formula uses a Realtek ALC1150) crap with some extra flair added to it?

I doubt it is as good as decent independent cards would be, but I think it's pretty good for an on-board sound system. However, I suppose this would depend on what level of audio quality you're used to or seeking. I have had no problems with it, personally.

Linus said J.J said that it represented something like a Xonar DGX.

Does this sound more realistic? I hope it is more than pure marketing. That would really suck...

Do some sound cards use Realtek tech?

SupremeFX Formula 2014 is asserted to have:

ROG SupremeFX Formula 2014 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC *4

- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming

- SupremeFX Shielding Technology

- Cirrus Logic® CS4398 DAC: 120 dB SNR, -107 dB THD+N (Max. 192 kHz/ 24 -bit)

- WIMA® film capacitors

- ELNA® premium audio capacitors

- TI LM4562 high-fidelity audio OP AMP(s)

Also, this review had some favourable remarks on the Maximus VII Formula's SupremeFX implementation:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/09/17/asus_maximus_vii_formula_lga_1150_motherboard_review/4#.Vf...

What is to believe??

NemesisChild
Level 12
Only you can truly be the judge. Now that you have it, what do you think?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601