cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent HELP | LAN

underworld
Level 8
Hi . .. .Im from Portugal and me and some guy's have been planning a LAN event.
But we are amateurs and i need some help for planning and what kind of material we need?
It's only for 90 people and the games is Call Of Duty 4, DIRT 2, Warcraft 3....

Can anyone help me??
Asus G51J 3D | Asus G74SX-TZ
11 REPLIES 11

underworld
Level 8
Sorry for my bad english

xeromist
The most important component of a LAN is proper power distribution. Ensure that you have enough amperage for the number of computers and that they are evenly distributed between circuits. I've seen many events where there were too many people or something was miss-wired and circuit breakers were tripped, computers damaged, etc.

Make sure that everyone turns off P2P software and patches everything BEFORE they come to the event(if you will provide a internet connection). Having a lot of uploads/downloads going on will kill any internet connection for a LAN event.

Do you already have the network hardware like switches and a router? It might help to tell us what you have so far and then we can fill in the blanks. Hardware, facility, tables, chairs?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

underworld
Level 8
The games have to be originals?
Yes we have switches and router's.

underworld wrote:
The games have to be originals?

I don't understand what you are asking. Can you say it differently?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

underworld
Level 8
If we can play with pirate games?

xeromist
That depends on the game. Any game that requires an internet connection won't work because the central authorization server will refuse multiple copies. If your pirated version has the protection stripped then it might work locally, but you won't be able to play on any public servers which means you'd have to set up a bunch of local, cracked, unranked servers. Too much work, IMHO. I'd just recommend playing games everyone has or games that are free. TF2 (Team Fortress 2) is free for FPS. Trackmania Nations is free for racing. I think you're good on RTS as most people should have WC3 or Starcraft.

underworld
Level 8
Well this is just a small event for starcraft .... we want to view if this time work well so we can move to a bigger LAN, with a sonsors...etc

xeromist
If you are hoping for sponsors then do not use pirated copies. Sponsors don't like to be associated with piracy.

underworld
Level 8
Ok .. .. the pirates games it's only to give a chance to players who haven´t games originals... but yeah it's better with no piracy....
How do i can sponsor from ROG in Portugal?