cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus GL552JX-CN009H terrible sound quality

vivs007
Level 7
Hi,

I recently purchased this laptop and wanted to confirm if everyone is experiencing what I am.

The speaker sound is very low, and of terrible quality. It's like the sound is coming from far away kept empty pot.

This is what I did:

1. Reinstalled Windows 8.1.
2. Updated Conexant drivers to the latest.
3. Installed IC Sound - AudioWizard utility and tuned it to max.

Installing ICS software did made some difference - but not that much. The sound is not pure and is distorted if I tune it to deliver maximum sound.

Overall, I am thoroughly disappointed by the sound quality of this laptop. I saved up a lot and finally bought a laptop and this is just not okay. The terrible audio quality is overshadowing every other good thing of this laptop like beautiful IPS display and GTX 950m GPU. My old tinny Inspiron N4010's sound is miles better, clearer, louder and crisper than this and I'm missing that sound A LOT.

If this is just hardware fault I'm thinking of getting it replaced. Hence could anyone please let me know how has their experience been with Asus GL552JX-CN009H.
6 REPLIES 6

hmuna
Level 7
justbought it as well.... was really happy with it but yeah..except for thesound quality 😕

aeolisio
Level 10
Looking at the disassembly there is very little room to work with
http://laptopmedia.com/news/inside-asus-rog-gl552-disassembly-internal-photos-and-upgrade-options/
I made a thread for better g751 hardware options but it would apply to you aswell
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?75331-Custom-Speakers-or-Replacment-Speaker-options-for-th...
I guess you can tweak it the best you can/learn to live with it or consider the options in that thread. I dont think anyone is every really ecstatic about their laptops sound quality sacrifices have to be made and from the look at the available space i dont see many options the engineers could have done.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Corporal
Level 9
The speaker sound is very low, and of terrible quality. It's like the sound is coming from far away kept empty pot.

You guys should have seen the Sony VAIO P series. That thing had sound quality worse than any smartphone I had.

G751JY speakers aren't great either. I use JBL Charge 2 bluetooth speakers instead.

I just bought gl552JX 6 days ago and was going to go back and have it fixed because of the bad sound quality.

I have tried pretty much everything to get it fixed, it is muffeled and distorted, simmilar to other ROG series laptops who had this problem.

The only semi solution I found was reverting back to the defualt windows driver, even then it is bad (at this point I think the speakers themself are s**t but the sound is better), but if you revert you loose maxxaudio. I just installed the latest driver package from connexion and still it dosent work.

Raj_Kumar
Level 7
just try to change the rog audio wizard settings

that should work somewhat

but yes speakers sound a little hollow

why don't you instead listen to audio through the bundled rog cerberus headphone

it sounds pretty great

i will quote what my re-seller told me - since this is a gaming laptop and not a multimedia one the sound won't be that good

so enjoy your game with the cerberus

so that's all i do

good luck and let me know if you like the sound quality of the rog cerberus

I just upgraded to window 10 , and clean install it , and update window 10 directly from window ,and it fix sound problem , no more hissing sound , give it try . who knows will help u also