cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watercooling GPU performance question.

agredano1
Level 7
OK, i had this question before and posted it but the topic was brushed over lightly and was never given a in dept look and explanation
. I want to know if it would be better to cool 2 GPUs withe its own closed all in 1 built in rad over connecting both GPU in a bridge loop that share the same water before reaching the rad.

I have room in my case to install 2 GTX 980 Ti HYBRID, or i could buy 2 GTX 980 Ti and add them in a custom loop. Which would give the max performance is my bottom line question.

If anyone has tested such theory, please, i am interested in it.
4 REPLIES 4

Heini
Level 11
Hybrids's have their own cooler so if you're water cooling the cpu that's three in a case, UGH. I have a Titan X and installed a hybrid on and it works well enough but I am not impressed. If your going to overclock I'd go for two coolers, one dedicated to the cpu and one for the gpu's. If your not OC'ing you'd be good with a high end custom loop for all three.

Cool, thanks for the reply. I do plan on doing some kind of a loop but always push it back. I found that i dont OC as much as i should be. I find myself fine with what im looking at when im at play.

I have a H100i for my cpu but nothing on my GTX980 atm. My plan was to watercool my Asus X99 Deluxe with the CPU and have its own loop and than buy 2 GTX980s and cool them with there own loop. Its still under work in my head and im planing to have something done by the end or early next year. I already started puting cash aside, thats why i asked about this.

Thanks anyways, that helped quite a bit. I might just add all 3 in its own loop.

Heini
Level 11
If you have no need to overclock then I wouldn't. I got the Swiftech H220-X with the idea of putting a Titan X in the loop but since I'm enjoying a Fury X the H220-X can cool the CPU.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
A custom cooling solution will always give better performance than AIO coolers given that you build it correctly. You just need enough radiator space and enough flow in the loop.

Instead of building separate loops why not have two pumps in same loop...this will offer redundancy should one pump fail and keep flow high.

Consider parallel flow through GPUs...keeps flow in loop higher than serial as a whole.

For radiator real estate think one 240 RAD per component. 1 CPU and 2 GPUs two 360s for example or a 480 and a 240....

Aside from reservoir before pump(s) order in the loop is irrelevant so just build simplest cleanest tube layout to keep flow high. Flow is key in getting good temps. Both flow of water in loop and flow of air through RADs.