cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling XMP causes machine to fail booting

MXV911
Level 7
Hi, I'm trying to enable XMP on a Maximus VIII Board and it's failing to boot.

My Rig:
ROG Maximus VIII Hero
Skylake 6700k
Avexir Core Red Series 16GB - 2666MHz Quad Channel (AVD4U26661504G-4CIR)
Strix 980ti

I've tried a few bits like clearing the CMOS and attempted to manually set the speed and I've not had much luck. I have no problems running the memory at 2133

I know this platform only supports Dual channel and this is Quad channel memory, Does this make any difference?
I thought Quad channel memory could operate in Dual channel or is that not how it works?
3 REPLIES 3

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Quad chanel wil work as dual no problem...that is correct.

That RAM however, seems to be qualified for X99 not z170...might make a bit o difference...RAM is designed to work with one platform or another..

You might have to set up manually? Set speed, set primary timings as per kit spec (15-15-15-35-2T) and set Vdimm...try 1.2v 1.25v 1.3v

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Quad chanel wil work as dual no problem...that is correct.

That RAM however, seems to be qualified for X99 not z170...might make a bit o difference...RAM is designed to work with one platform or another..

You might have to set up manually? Set speed, set primary timings as per kit spec (15-15-15-35-2T) and set Vdimm...try 1.2v 1.25v 1.3v

I think it MIGHT be working!!

Only difference this time is I didn't enable Maximus Tweak the first time.

Here is the settings for anyone struggling to get these mem modules to work on this board:

Enable Extreme Tweaker
Maximus Tweak = Mode 1
DRAM CAS# Latency = 15
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay = 15
DRAM RAS# ACT Time = 35
DRAM Voltage = 1.2000

Cheers for the help Arne

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40