Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM help!

bigSQUISHY76
Level 7
Building a new RIG need RAM advice.

ASUS X99 Deluxe MoBo
Intel i7 Extreme 5960X

I have read conflicting post. What is the max usable speed RAM? I see 2800 but have heard 3000 and a few claim 3200.

Would someone please give me the Low Down?

Thank you in advance!

Very Respectfully,

bigSQUISHY76
17 REPLIES 17

Hardliner
Level 11
Click "Hardliner PC Specs" above my avatar and see what I have got. To 'future-proof' my build as best I can I want as much RAM as my R5E MOBO can take so I went with the max at 8 x 8GB = 64GB at DDR4 2800 (PC4 22400) speed (2800 is the most you can get with that much RAM), and it looks like you can get the 8 x 8GB kit for $10 cheaper than I did earlier this week: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231820

Also, these Ripjaws 4 sticks have slightly better specs than "Dominator Platinum" sticks and cost $370 less.
¡¡¡ I__ju$₮__₩₳₦₮__₮☮__₱£₳¥__₮h€__₲₳₥€__₩i₮h☮u₮__i₮__hi₵₵u₱i₦₲,__₱l€₳$€ !!!

Nate152
Hello bigSQUISHY76

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Max speed is 3200MHz but can be overclocked beyond.

Max capacity is 128GB with a bios update.

The kit Hardliner posted is a good choice, with G.Skill you get performance + value. 🙂

Chino
Level 15
bigSQUISHY76 wrote:
Building a new RIG need RAM advice.

ASUS X99 Deluxe MoBo
Intel i7 Extreme 5960X

I have read conflicting post. What is the max usable speed RAM? I see 2800 but have heard 3000 and a few claim 3200.

Would someone please give me the Low Down?

Thank you in advance!

Very Respectfully,

bigSQUISHY76

2133MHz is pretty much plug-n-play. The farther you stray from 2133MHz, the higher the possibility that your system will require manual adjustments to achieve stability. With that said, your CPU's IMC will have the last say if you can run 2800MHz RAM or 3200MHz RAM.

Hardliner
Level 11
I would say 2800MHz is good to bet on with a 3200MHz-possible MOBO and a 5960X CPU.

Hardliner wrote:
I would say 2800MHz is good to bet on with a 3200MHz-possible MOBO and a 5960X CPU.

The motherboard supports those frequencies without hiccups as long as your CPU is up to the task. Since the quality between one CPU and another varies greatly, there is no 100% guarantee that your CPU will be able to handle high frequency memory kits. With that said, running 64GB of RAM already puts a huge load on the IMC so running your RAM at 2800MHz will put even more stress on it. Most probably you will have to manually tweak a few voltages and timings to make them play nice. Or maybe you receive an above average CPU and enabling XMP is all that needs to be done. It's up to the silicon lottery to decide.

As a sidenote, 2400MHz is pretty much the sweet spot for DDR4. Anything faster is just for braggings rights. 😛 But the advantage of buying a high frequency kit like yours is the possibility to downclock it if your CPU isn't capable of doing 2800MHz with all 64GB.

Chino wrote:
The motherboard supports those frequencies without hiccups as long as your CPU is up to the task. Since the quality between one CPU and another varies greatly, there is no 100% guarantee that your CPU will be able to handle high frequency memory kits. With that said, running 64GB of RAM already puts a huge load on the IMC so running your RAM at 2800MHz will put even more stress on it. Most probably you will have to manually tweak a few voltages and timings to make them play nice. Or maybe you receive an above average CPU and enabling XMP is all that needs to be done. It's up to the silicon lottery to decide.

As a sidenote, 2400MHz is pretty much the sweet spot for DDR4. Anything faster is just for braggings rights. 😛 But the advantage of buying a high frequency kit like yours is the possibility to downclock it if your CPU isn't capable of doing 2800MHz with all 64GB.

SWEET! Chino, I sure hope you are around when I get this rig built.

Thank you all for the info and suggestions. I now have several other questions that have sprung up from your post.

1. How do I find out if my roll of the dice has given me an exceptional CPU before I spend the $ on the RAM?

2. I understand my MoBo limits me to 64Gb of RAM:
a. A bit confused on what limits the board to 2800 as opposed to 3200?
b. what makes 2400 the sweet spot?
c. My MoBo book says I am limited to 2800, however the ASUS QVL for their X99 boards suggest I could use 3000.
d. I plan to do some serious gaming, Twitch.tv streaming and if I can manage learn some coding/scripting and learn 3D modeling/ CAD..
I am not sure if the speed or the capacity will be the better option, as I am a Home bound Permanently Disabled Vet and Wounded Warrior
and I have more time on my hands that I could ever know what to do with, even as stay at home Dad.

e. I have never over clocked a CPU, RAM or GPU. I am sure the help and answers are here when I get to that point maybe I should list
the rest of my build. Maybe this would help with more specifics and a better lead to what I need to decide.

Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Black/Orange Full Tower Case
EVGA SuperNova 1050 Gold
INTEL i7 Extreme 5960X
ASUS X99 Deluxe
EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X
32 Gig DDR4 RAM pending
ASUS X14 Blue-ray Burner
2X 3TB WD enterprise 7200 rpm HDD
1X INTEL 730 Series 250 SSD
Koolance RP-1250 Reservoir and Pump
1 Alphacool Monsta Quad 80mm thick Rad, Dual 140 mm fan push pull (bottom) possibly the Alphacool Quad 120mm Monsta undecided
1 Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper Quad 120mm Radiator push pull (top)
EK Supremacy EVO Universal CPU Liquid Cooling Block - Acetal
EK Geforce GTX 980 VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Acetal (EK-FC980 GTX - Acetal)
Primochill Primo Flex Advanced LRT 1/2" ID 3/4" OD Tubing
Primochill anti-kink coils

Thank you all again and in advance!

Very Respectfully,

bigSQUISHY76

I found this QVL and although it only states ASUS X99 boards and not the specific X99 Deluxe. So does this really mean anything to me?

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/X99-DELUXE/X99_Series_DRAM_QVL_20150821.pdf

Very Respectfully,

bigSQUISHY76

Nate152
I agree with what Chino is saying, what you should deicide is if you want speed or capacity. if you want speed go with a lower capacity 16GB-32GB, if you want capacity 64GB-128GB go with a lower speed or find a happy medium.

64GB of 2800MHz should be doable but will most likely need a little tweaking.