New ROGer Array

G750JW - laptop makes ticking/clicking sound only when plugged in

Hi,

Recently I've noticed my laptop makes a small, rhythmic ticking sound, pretty much like a clock (not loud at all, you can only hear it when it's very quiet around) only when the adapter is plugged in for a while (the sound comes from the left side of the laptop, not from the adapter). I have no idea what triggers the ticking - for example, I have it plugged in right now and it's not ticking, but when I plugged in a few hours earlier it started ticking after a while. All I know is that it doesn't tick at all if it's not plugged in.
    My first guess was that it could be something wrong with the HDD, but I ran some scans with Hard Disk Sentinel and similar software and they can't find anything wrong with my HDD. I'm now suspecting it must be a power issue - I recently moved from Canada to Brazil and the voltage here is different from Canada (and I'm pretty sure the ticking only started after I moved here).

My laptop is around a year old and I never had any major issue with it. The HDD never gave me any trouble at all. I don't have a big understanding of hardware/power issues, so I'm just wondering if this can be an actual issue with my HDD (even though all the scans say my HDD is perfectly okay and working as it should be) or a power issue, and what action should I take to fix it. Thanks in advance!

(edit: Just noticed the ticking starts when the laptop is plugged in and wakes up from sleep mode when I open the lid. It also seems to start randomly when it's charging, as mentioned before, but every time I open the lid and it's plugged in the ticking starts immediately.)
    Last edited by esunaga; 09-19-2015 at 08:13 PM.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Darnassus PC Specs
    Darnassus PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VS -=-=- G750JX
    MotherboardASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G752VS (U3E1) -=-=- ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JX (SOCKET 0)
    Processori7 6700HQ @ 2.60GHz -=-=- i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz - 3.40GHz
    Memory (part number)2x16gb (M471A2K43BB1-CRC) -=-=- 2x8gb (HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB)
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1070 (8GB) -=-=- GTX 770M (3GB)
    Sound CardRealtek High Definition Audio / NVIDIA High Definition Audio
    MonitorGSync IPS 75HZ -=-=- Chi Mei 60Hz (Overclocked to 85Hz)
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250GB x2 -=-=- LITEONIT LCS-256M6S
    Storage #2HGST HTS721010A9E630 -=-=- ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB
    CPU CoolerStock -=-=- Stock
    CaseStock -=-=- Stock
    Power SupplyStock -=-=- Stock
    Keyboard Stock -=-=- Stock
    Mouse Razer Naga Epic 1st Generation
    Headset SPH 2500
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliathus
    OS Winblows 10 Pro -=-=- Winblows 8.1 Pro
    Network RouterCG3000v2

Erm.. so.. it does NOT tick when the laptop is on, and the lid is closed?

Have you tried booting the unit with no hard disk inside and listen if anything is still able to be heard?
    Gosh Blue Lady.. ❤

JOIN THE ASUS T-SHOOT DISCORD <-- Clicky!

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Maxter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by esunaga View Post
    Hi,

Recently I've noticed my laptop makes a small, rhythmic ticking sound, pretty much like a clock (not loud at all, you can only hear it when it's very quiet around) only when the adapter is plugged in for a while (the sound comes from the left side of the laptop, not from the adapter). I have no idea what triggers the ticking - for example, I have it plugged in right now and it's not ticking, but when I plugged in a few hours earlier it started ticking after a while. All I know is that it doesn't tick at all if it's not plugged in.
    My first guess was that it could be something wrong with the HDD, but I ran some scans with Hard Disk Sentinel and similar software and they can't find anything wrong with my HDD. I'm now suspecting it must be a power issue - I recently moved from Canada to Brazil and the voltage here is different from Canada (and I'm pretty sure the ticking only started after I moved here).

My laptop is around a year old and I never had any major issue with it. The HDD never gave me any trouble at all. I don't have a big understanding of hardware/power issues, so I'm just wondering if this can be an actual issue with my HDD (even though all the scans say my HDD is perfectly okay and working as it should be) or a power issue, and what action should I take to fix it. Thanks in advance!

(edit: Just noticed the ticking starts when the laptop is plugged in and wakes up from sleep mode when I open the lid. It also seems to start randomly when it's charging, as mentioned before, but every time I open the lid and it's plugged in the ticking starts immediately.)
    are you on windows 10? I had the same issue only when coming out of sleep (followed by nvidia driver crashes). It could also be the cooling fan. When you are on battery, there is less power consumption, so less heating for fans to activate faster.
    You might try a CPU and then a GPU burn. Softwares are prime95 for CPU and Kombustor for GPU. This should bring the fans up to high speed. If the clicking comes from them, it should increase the speed of clicking. If this is the culprit, you need new fans.
    If it's the HDD (I doubt it unless you've been banging it), you might check the HDD info using Speccy (by Piriform). Within this software, go to Storage, go to your drive, and expand the S.M.A.R.T. attributes option. If you see issues in "uncorrectable sector count", "write error", "spin retry", basically all the bad ones, you might have a dying HDD.