cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New water pump header specs unclear.

Slam
Level 7
It is documented ROG boards have fan headers capable of 12w @ 12v or 1.0a. I can't find the Max Amperage for this new "Water pump header" documented anywhere.

Non-PWM 12v water pumps pull up to 2.0a. These are to two most common high-end water pumps in use today.
D5 pump 24w @ 12v or 2.0a
DDC 3.25 pump 20w @ 12v or 1.6666666667a.

Is the new water pump header on Z170 ROG boards just a re-labeled fan header or is it a 2.0a header safe to use with non-PWM high-end pumps?
20 REPLIES 20

Nate152
Hello Slam

Welcome to the ROG forum.

There are 12v pumps that can pump 1500 L/H, I don't see why you couldn't hook any 12v pump to the water pump header, the motherboard reads and controls it power comes from the psu with molex.

If you want to use 24v you'll probably want to get a controller.

Thanks for you reply Nate.

I would like to get a clear response from Asus on whether the water pump header is a normal 1.0a header or if it is a 2.0a header. Which would be on-pair with 12v D5 pump controller boards.

Nate152
Until someone responds I came across this, it doesn't say about amperage and I wonder if the water pump header is for all in one coolers?

bump.

Hercules331
Level 7
Bump. Slam, did you ever find an answer to this? I have been searching far and wide as well for an answer. It's not that hard of a question but ASUS seems to be hiding it from the public. I have a Laing DDC pump with only the 3-pin cable (no Molex) and need to know if I can power it off my Gene VIII pump header. Pumps that are powered by Molex and have a PWM cable dont need a more-powerful-than-normal header on the mobo to be PWM controlled- which makes me wonder if the pump header is just a relabeled fan header. 😞

Hercules331 wrote:
Bump. Slam, did you ever find an answer to this? I have been searching far and wide as well for an answer. It's not that hard of a question but ASUS seems to be hiding it from the public. I have a Laing DDC pump with only the 3-pin cable (no Molex) and need to know if I can power it off my Gene VIII pump header. Pumps that are powered by Molex and have a PWM cable dont need a more-powerful-than-normal header on the mobo to be PWM controlled- which makes me wonder if the pump header is just a relabeled fan header. 😞

Maximum 1A.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

What Chino wrote. Checking the countless other threads asking this same thing would have also provided the answer.

Hercules331
Level 7
Where are people seeing this? I have yet to find anything official from Asus with the amperage of this header. The manual only states that the CPU_FAN is 1 amp. It does not mention the other headers to include the W_PUMP header.

Using a Asus Maximus VIII Ranger motherboard & 6700K. Picked up a Corsair H100i v2 to replace my H7 and hooked up to the water pump header instead of the cpu header.
In BIOS you can enable the water pump header and it came defaulted to 100% duty cycle no matter the temp, thus the pump has full power constant. My connector was a 3 pin so I switched it from PWM to DC for 12v constant.
Pump is working much better, it would not receive 12v constant on the cpu header even when the cpu fan speed was set to 100%. The led pump light was dim and so were my deep cool TF 120 fan leds. On the pump header everything is lite up nice, is running full speed, temps are better.

My motherboard even with the CPU fan disabled in the motherboard would not boot without a fan connected to the cpu fan header as with most mother boards.
I hooked up my rear exhaust fan to the header so it can ramp up & down with temps. Tried using my top exhaust fan on cpu opt header but it has issues turning on until in the OS.

Just FYI, hope this helps! I've been playing with this board non-stop for a month!