cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G750JW Repasting CPU and GPU Help

ZanderTheGamer
Level 7
Hi guys first time poster here so I apologize for any issues with formatting but I am not at home at the moment and could use some help!

About 2 months ago I disassembled my Asus G750JW for some fan cleaning and general checkup to make sure nothing was wrong and when I took it apart I got to the gpu and cpu cooling systems and saw the weird white paste like material that many others have talked about and wasn't sure if it was melted thermal pads or if it was really bad thermal paste! So used Isopropyl and we cleaned off the contacts and what was left of the "mystery goop" and applied arctic silver 5 on all the contact points that previously had goop on them, including the points attached to the little black ic(I believe they are called) all over the gpu. I just wanted to check with you fine people to see if that is okay to use AS5 or if I should stop using the laptop to prevent damage take it off and apply something else entirely or if I should get thermal pads for replacement. I have a decent understanding of what is going on with my computer but if you could suggest alternative thermal paste or good thermal pads for this pc I would be very appreciative. Thanks for your help and consideration guys 🙂

Zander
4 REPLIES 4

vip_vooo
Level 7
i did something like you on my g750jh [change thermal past for gpu + cpu to ic diamond ] and after two day i lost my gpu
do not do this by yourself again because rog laptops is very complicated .
i don't know why asus doesn't make disassembly simple like msi:confused:

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Hellu is Blue Lady :3

I have repasted my G750JX multiple times, around 4 times over the past two years I've owned it. I live in Australia, so it gets very hot here, so apart of my conditioning routine to keep my lappy in tip top shape as if it's brand new is repasting every so often during the summer time.

Your lappy has around 38 chips roughly that must be in contact with the heat sinks inside, 37 of them being the GPU itself.. while the CPU of course is one chip alone, the die. ;d

It is quite the advanced task, my first time doing it took me 4-5 hours to complete, as the stock thermal paste really is a b!tch to get off of the PCB of the GPU. It's very thick, and very gummy.

Anyhow, if you're going to replace your GPU paste, you'll want something like K3-Pro, the thick thermal cement-like stuff, and a paste of your choice for the dies themselves.

What you saw when you disassembled the unit was the stock thermal err.. mess.. as I'd like to call it, basically it's just a thick gum that goes over the sink in a big strip then slops over the chips. It's a contact none the less.

Using Arctic Silver 5 on the chips and so on MAY BE a bad idea, I believe the metalic components in the arctic silver can induce capacity and possibly short out something on the board, however the chances are quite minute, though it is still a chance, correct? ;d

Another thing to worry about is, Arctic Silver may not be as THICK.. or 'viscous' as the official term is, so it may run or grow thin and break contact from the chips to the heatsink.

If this happens though, don't worry too much!! It won't get on your board. Most people forget that the heatsink (once assembled again) is UP SIDE DOWN inside of the laptop. So, nothing's going to smear over the board if it does happen to go runny.

Anyhow, I am sure AS5 is thicker than the carbon pastes I use, I used MX-4 for my dies and K3 Pro Gummy for my chips.

P.S. Don't worry if your chips get to 80*C under load, it's not nice, but it's fine to function under those temperatures for a limited time.. try to stay under an hour. If you reach 85*C that's bad.. too much.. the solder that bridges the GPU's die to the board may start to warp.

The manufacturer says the chips can withstand up to 100*C but 80*C is where you don't want to cross. I usually monitor my temps and stay below 75*C when I can.

In the end, as far as I'm aware, the sink is perfectly level with the chips on the GPU, make sure there's not a chip left pasteless. :3

Also not ALL chips had paste on my GPU section so those that had nothing on them to start with I did not paste them and again I did pasting 3 months ago and everything is still working perfectly fine.
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

navis995
Level 11
I used Coollaboratory Liquid Pro which is like a silver (It's not a silver but it has a consistency like one) and you get this brush with it that you use to spread it and I used only 1 for GPU about 2-3 months ago and my GPU is still going strong. SO any posts about being paste being too thin doesn't stand since this one was really spread pretty much across the chips quite thin.

If you want for your T to stay at specific temperature use MSI Afterburner and limit the temperature. You GPU will lower the clocks (Possibly just disable the Boost 2.0) to keep the temperatures in your section.
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD