Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

I think I give up! I tried all these steps now but it still installs Windows 10 Home edition instead of asking me for the edition nor for the key.

It'd be amazing if Asus could provide a BIOS without the slic table bullcrap, so people would be free to choose what os and what version they want.

//EDIT: I seem to have resolved the issue now! I created a PID.txt and put that in the "sources" folder on the USB stick. The files has the following content:

[PID]
    Value=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX (xxxx...is your new serial key)
    Last edited by HigH_HawK; 05-08-2016 at 05:25 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Gps3dx View Post
    Hi there @Sean72,
    Glad to hear that the mentioned post is important.

The main posts of this thread was create in the not-so-long-ago-era that the G750 serie was a separate sub-forum then the latest ROG notebook series sub-forum (G751, G771, G551 etc... ), thus the G750 serie wasn't included in my mind when I created that post.

I shall indeed update these posts, as soon as I can allow my self to do so, as I'm a busy master's student, at near-time of exams period.
    in the mean time, I can tell you that when I google for "G751JT asus support", it gives me a direct link to the download section for that model at Asus's official site.
    Thanks for the reply. They've broken thousands of driver links to the Asus websites, and now a lot of stuff is hard to find or missing. For example, there are no longer any BIOS updates listed, though there is the utility to automate it I suppose. I am fond of my G750JZ but still struggle with the fact that generic drivers don't always work with the Optimus tech. If you hear of any good place for G750JZ or similar Optimus support, please post.

ROG Member Array

@Gps3dx

I am getting my GL752VW tomorrow with no windows and no SSD only 1TB SATS HD .. MEhhh
    I am new to asus and I dont know how much G series differ with GL series , So Am I correct in assuming that for my Asus GL752vw following items from your awesome guide are valid.
    1. Guide for windows installation with GPT
    2. Driver installation Part 1,2 and 3

If I should take care of something, please let me know.
    Thankx in advance for beautiful Guide.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array Gps3dx PC Specs
    Gps3dx PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Current: G751JT | Retired: G55VW, G51JX
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Storage #1Samsungs EVO 850 128GB
    Storage #21TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 (HTS721010A9E630)
    CPU CoolerMother Nature & Thermodynamics laws
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Headset/Speakers Logitech T6060
    OS Cleaned installed Windows 10 HOME x64
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

Quote Originally Posted by babablacksheep View Post
    @Gps3dx

I am getting my GL752VW tomorrow with no windows and no SSD only 1TB SATS HD .. MEhhh
    I am new to asus and I dont know how much G series differ with GL series , So Am I correct in assuming that for my Asus GL752vw following items from your awesome guide are valid.
    1. Guide for windows installation with GPT
    2. Driver installation Part 1,2 and 3

If I should take care of something, please let me know.
    Thankx in advance for beautiful Guide.
    Hi, welcome to ROG family.
    As long as you install OS on an AHCI configured, sata/m.2 connected disk/ssd - you're fine with the guide.
    if you want to utilize NVMe/RAID, my guide won't be 100% proof from mistakes as you need to follow G752 serie links I put on the 1st post in this thread.
    about drivers - not sure the links are valid anymore as asus put some serious changes in the "download" section of their site.
    basicly, find your "download page" of your unique model, and get the relevant drivers from there.
    the one that's really important to get from external source is your graphics drivers ( intel/nvidia ).
    lastly, put some though on which asus util app you install, as many of the are just bloatware / childish.

you're welcome to continue posting questions/issues about OS installation or drivers here in this thread, ppl will try to aid you.

ROG Member Array alexgontijo PC Specs
    alexgontijo PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G751JY
    MotherboardASUS
    ProcessorIntel 4720HQ
    Memory (part number)32GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia GeForce GTX 980

Hi guys!

I purchased a used G751JY-T7159H in Germany, it is the model with 4720HQ, 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M 4GB.

But in the deal the old owner wanted to delete all his data, and deleted all the partitions too. So I lost the 15 GB hidden backup partition and had to install from zero. I'm using the latest BIOS 211, and I couldn't boot from USB to install Windows 10 in a UEFI. It doesn't show on the options, only the SSD, but without system, it boots straight to the BIOS.

So I had to change do legacy and install in the old BIOS way (I could choose all the options (USB, Bluray, etc) which are unavailable in UEFI mode). But the boot time takes 5 times more... I want the UEFI back!

Can anyone help me cloning the 256 GB SDD and uploading in my Cloud Storage?

My plan is to clone back someones partitions scheme, with GPT mode, change the BIOS, than boot in UEFI and then perform a clean restore. Sounds good?

If anyone has a better idea I would love to hear.

Thank you very much!

Alex

Gps3dx PC Specs
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

Quote Originally Posted by alexgontijo View Post
    I purchased a used G751JY-T7159H ...

But in the deal the old owner wanted to delete all his data, and deleted all the partitions too. So I lost the 15 GB hidden backup partition and had to install from zero. I'm using the latest BIOS 211, and I couldn't boot from USB to install Windows 10 in a UEFI. It doesn't show on the options, only the SSD, but without system, it boots straight to the BIOS.

So I had to change do legacy and install in the old BIOS way (I could choose all the options (USB, Bluray, etc) which are unavailable in UEFI mode). But the boot time takes 5 times more... I want the UEFI back!...
    Hi there Alex,
    I think you issue is that you didn't created in the right way the installation USB.
    UEFI installation of windows is ONLY POSSIBLE if the USB created in the right manner to allow UEFI boot.
    Please read the guide in the first few posts in this forum - pay attention to the way you format the USB flash disk + make sure under /efi/boot on the USB you've got bootx64.efi.
    you can try to use unetbootin or even MS own tool ( open through IE or edge, chrome might not work )

also important for UEFI installation is that you format your SSD/HDD with GPT layout, and boot the installtion-USB as "UEFI:" when you select in using the boot-selection-menu ( by pressing ESC during POST )

ROG Member Array alexgontijo PC Specs
    alexgontijo PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G751JY
    MotherboardASUS
    ProcessorIntel 4720HQ
    Memory (part number)32GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia GeForce GTX 980

Hello GPS3DX,

You were absolutely right!! I had tried before but I don't know why it wasn't working (with the Windows Official Tool).

Now the Rufus app formatted the USB boot to UEFI and I could boot it the right way. It was risky, because my BIOS was still in the "old" CMS Enable, but I kept pressing ESC, selected to boot the USB on the UEFI way, and during the Windows installation it changed my BIOS automatically to the UEFI (it disabled the CMS by its own!)! Incredible!!

Now I have to install my softwares but I can confirm it is in UEFI again!!! Uhuuuu!

Thank you very much!!!

Best regards,

Alex

Gps3dx PC Specs
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

Quote Originally Posted by alexgontijo View Post
    Hello GPS3DX,

You were absolutely right!! I had tried before but I don't know why it wasn't working (with the Windows Official Tool).

Now the Rufus app formatted the USB boot to UEFI and I could boot it the right way. It was risky, because my BIOS was still in the "old" CMS Enable, but I kept pressing ESC, selected to boot the USB on the UEFI way, and during the Windows installation it changed my BIOS automatically to the UEFI (it disabled the CMS by its own!)! Incredible!!

Now I have to install my softwares but I can confirm it is in UEFI again!!! Uhuuuu!

Thank you very much!!!

Best regards,

Alex
    oh ! wonderful news.... glad I could help.
    P.S "UEFI:...." boot options exist even though CSM mode is ENABLED as the bios of latest ROG laptops are built with UEFI in its core, while the "legacy BIOS" is just an EMULATION/function that the UEFI supports.

Gps3dx PC Specs
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

The following was MOVED from OP, as it's partially deprecated and will end soon.
    Q: can I upgrade my win7(sp1)/win8/win8.1 to win10 even after 29.7.2016 ?
    A: Apparently, you can, although it isn't officially published, according to many sources.
    Note that MS might close/finish the FREE upgrade program at any time in the near future.
    GUIDE: HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF !
    *** my own remarks/notes in green color ***
    IMPORTANT WARNING:

• if you perform this guide you will NOT be able to revert back to the previous windows ( 7/8 ) you're upgrading from.
      First reason: Your old windows "product key" will be upgraded to be windows 10 compatible product key ( so there will NOT be any backward compatibility for that key anymore after performing this guide )
      Second reason: that guide utilize a CLEAN install, in which the previous windows partition is WIPED TOTALLY !

if you're afraid/concern - perform the regular "upgrade" that MS officially offers from HERE or from windows-updates ( like KB3035583 ) that will give you 1 month to revert to your previous windows version.

Preconditions:

1. You have win7 SP1/8.1 activated successfully.
      This actually doesn't apply to VL Volume_licenses no KMS (loader yes, pre-installations yes, OEM_DM for w8.1 yes, OEM system builder yes, retail yes), since they are officially not upgradeable.
    2. Download your original w10 ISO which is suitable for the upgrade path. I.E. W7(SP1) Ultimate upgrades to w10 pro.

Follow these steps closely:

1. Validate your w7 SP1 (W8.1) online, best using IE.
      I.E right-click "computer"/"my computer"->properties-> a window popup.
      look at the bottom, under "windows activation": VALIDATE/MAKE SURE that it reads "Windows is activated" !
    2. Generate a genuine ticket of your installation by:
      I.E save all the product-key related info (like your windows genuineness) in order to be able to bypass the official "need" of the upgrade process.
      WITHOUT IT - you need, first to perform the upgrade ( WITHOUT PERFORMING CLEAN INSTALL ), and only after you've check that you see "windows is activated"(read the above note) you may perform "clean install" of win10... or format your drive and install windows 10 from scratch.

1. Copy gatherosstate.exe from your downloaded Windows 10 10240 ISO to your installation which should be upgraded.
        "10240" is the RTM release of win10, the 1st "release to manufacture" version of windows.
        My *guess*, it doesn't matter if you got some late release ( after RTM of course )...but take that with a pinch of salt
        After all, the "free-upgrade" is available until the July 29th, 2016... so it won't matter or a long time (MS source: Is the upgrade really free?)
      2. Run it on your activated and validated Windows. It'll output GenuineTicket.xml. Save this on a USB thumb drive or something.

3. Then do a fresh install with your suitable win10 ISO, skip to enter key at setup procedure.
      For "How to" guide for that, read 1st post in this thread.
    4. Once it's installed make sure your internet connection is DISABLED.
      I.E do not enable the internet connection!
      ONLY after you do that, Reboot w10.
    5. Copy GenuineTicket.xml to
      Code:
      C:\programdata\microsoft\windows\clipsvc\genuineticket\
      of your win10 installation and reboot again.
      I.E to the partition you've just install your fresh new win10.
    6. Connect online, it should activate.

1. "How do I check it ??", Read my remarks under paragraph "1" .
      2. I've tested it myself - it works!

ROG Member Array

Thanks for this thread! I really find it useful.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast