Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Can you install it in UEFI mode with a dvd, or must it be usb made with Rufus? I have a retail Windows 8.1 iso, and I'v setup the BIOS according to instructions, but everytime I choose boot from UEFI dvd, it just returns to BIOS. If I select the regular boot from dvd ption, Windows installs fine. What's wrong? Is it really meant to be installed only with usb drive?

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro

You need to convert your MBR disk to GPT for the UEIF Install
    Boot UEFI and window load and the install starts put in your language, the hit Shift F10 or CTL F10 that will bring up a Command Prompt enter the following
    :cd diskpart
    Diskpart: List disk
    select your SSD or which ever drive you want to install to
    Select Disk 0
    Disk O:Clean
    Clean will run
    Disk 0: convert GPT
    convert will report conversion: exit
    and continue installing to the disk you converted to GPT UEFI installation will happen. Windows will create all the needed partitions automatically
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Clintlgm View Post
    You need to convert your MBR disk to GPT for the UEIF Install
    Boot UEFI and window load and the install starts put in your language, the hit Shift F10 or CTL F10 that will bring up a Command Prompt enter the following
    :cd diskpart
    Diskpart: List disk
    select your SSD or which ever drive you want to install to
    Select Disk 0
    Disk O:Clean
    Clean will run
    Disk 0: convert GPT
    convert will report conversion: exit
    and continue installing to the disk you converted to GPT UEFI installation will happen. Windows will create all the needed partitions automatically
    Thank you! The problem was I accidentally created a 32bit iso, hen I realised that and made a 64bit one, it all went well.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array Gps3dx PC Specs
    Gps3dx PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Current: G751JT | Retired: G55VW, G51JX
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Storage #1Samsungs EVO 850 128GB
    Storage #21TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 (HTS721010A9E630)
    CPU CoolerMother Nature & Thermodynamics laws
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Headset/Speakers Logitech T6060
    OS Cleaned installed Windows 10 HOME x64
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

Quote Originally Posted by TriSarme View Post
    Can you install it in UEFI mode with a dvd, or must it be usb made with Rufus? I have a retail Windows 8.1 iso, and I'v setup the BIOS according to instructions, but everytime I choose boot from UEFI dvd, it just returns to BIOS. If I select the regular boot from dvd ption, Windows installs fine. What's wrong? Is it really meant to be installed only with usb drive?
    Just for the record - you can create bootable windows installation on cd/dvd/usb - as long it can contains all the files from the windows ISO image ( or any other image formats that you got your windows from ) - AND of course it must be created in the right way ( as the guide describe, the procedure required for UEFI installation is diffrent from MBR - > thus required special way to create the bootable media ).

The FASTER way to create it is using USB, as burning DVD takes longer time, usually + using USB cost less in the long-run ( multiple DVD vs single USB i mean )

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Gps3dx View Post
    Just for the record - you can create bootable windows installation on cd/dvd/usb - as long it can contains all the files from the windows ISO image ( or any other image formats that you got your windows from ) - AND of course it must be created in the right way ( as the guide describe, the procedure required for UEFI installation is diffrent from MBR - > thus required special way to create the bootable media ).

The FASTER way to create it is using USB, as burning DVD takes longer time, usually + using USB cost less in the long-run ( multiple DVD vs single USB i mean )
    Thanx, I'll keep that in mind, this was just a test run till I get the M.2 ssd.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Gps3dx View Post

Rufus (a free program for create bootable USB) allows to create a installation in a GPT or MBR installation.
    If the partitions are in GPT then:
    a) in the bios, you must boot with the UEFI USB disk.
    b) create the boot disk using Type of partition GPT.
    Otherwise
    a) in the bios, you must boot using the USB disk (not UEFI) and you should disable the safe boot.
    b) create the boot disk using the Type of Partition MBR

creating a pendrive using rufus takes about 15 minutes and its the quickest to do such task.

Gps3dx PC Specs
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

Quote Originally Posted by johnbonachon View Post
    Rufus (a free program for create bootable USB) allows to create a installation in a GPT or MBR installation.
    If the partitions are in GPT then:
    a) in the bios, you must boot with the UEFI USB disk.
    b) create the boot disk using Type of partition GPT.
    Otherwise
    a) in the bios, you must boot using the USB disk (not UEFI) and you should disable the safe boot.
    b) create the boot disk using the Type of Partition MBR

creating a pendrive using rufus takes about 15 minutes and its the quickest to do such task.
    Thanks for the input, but I don't see the reason for replying partially info here, which can cause only confusion.

It is important for me to reply here, because you left out the obligation to format the USB as FAT32 -> thus, because there are many "important" small things that ppl need to care about -> I published this thread & links to other 3rd party site's guides, that write from a-to-z how to perform it.

There being said, if you see something in my guides above which is wrong, or think I should emphasis something more, please reply.

ROG Member Array

It seems that ASUS has decided to remove the old browser for drivers from the support pages linked in post #6.

This is sad, because the individual support pages for the notebooks are heavily outdated and we cannot find the latest drivers now for graphics, sound, BT, WLAN, etc.

Does anyone know if there will be a new solution for this?

Gps3dx PC Specs
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

Quote Originally Posted by norti View Post
    It seems that ASUS has decided to remove the old browser for drivers from the support pages linked in post #6.
    This is sad, because the individual support pages for the notebooks are heavily outdated and we cannot find the latest drivers now for graphics, sound, BT, WLAN, etc.
    Does anyone know if there will be a new solution for this?
    Thanks for that update.
    In the mean time I've update the COMPLETE ASUS SUPPORT DOWNLOADS ! (Part 1/2) with asus site new links, after nov 2015 changes.
    I haven't update part (2/2), as it includes much more links -> which requires more time, which I don't have in abundance ( i'm a masters's degree student ) -> thus part (2/2) is WIP.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array ZIXEL PC Specs
    ZIXEL PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G551jw
    Motherboardg551 HM86 chipset
    Processori7 4720HQ
    Memory (part number)2133 , 16gb g.skill ripjaws ddr3
    Graphics Card #1Intel HD Graphics 4600
    Graphics Card #2Nvidia 960m 4gb OC
    Sound CardRealtek ALC668
    MonitorViewsonic XG2701 144hz
    Storage #11TB , 7200
    Storage #2MydigitalSSD 128gb msta mini
    Keyboard Corsair k63 wireless
    Mouse Zowie mico
    Headset Hyperx stinger
    Mouse Pad Logitech g640 cloud9 edition
    OS Win8.1/Win10/Parrot os dual boot

This is my problem :

1 i have my HDD totally "clean"(no recovery , no efi partition , no msr , no re tools) , without any partition or OS linux/windows

2 i need "BOOT UEFI MODE" MY CD/USB to install a clean win 8.1 in UEFI MODE (NOT CSM MODE)

3 i cannot get boot the CD/USB boot in "UEFI MODE" (i can boot with CSM BOOT and intall but i dont want install Windows in CSM MODE )

so i tryed all things of this basic repetitive tutorial and no works nothing ,

my computer is a g551jw ,
    GG WP

I can recommend >>> http://voltground.com

I just play StarCraft II

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast