Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

It just seems like we're trying to make things unnecessarily difficult for the sake of the challenge. I used the MS Media Creation Tool to create the USB boot image and it worked fine. I slicked the 950 Pro and just initialized it to GPT and then let Windows 10 setup create the default partitions. So, maybe some of the partitions are a little bit bigger than they need to be but not enough to worry about.

If you like the challenge, that's cool. If you prefer RUFUS, that's cool. If you like to control every little nuance, that totally cool too. But, geez, if the Media Creation Tool doesn't give you a good bootable W10 image and the Windows 10 default partition layout in setup doesn't work, you've probably got another problem. I've done my share of battling the install on the 950 Pro on my G752VT, part;y because I tried to do things the hard way but, ultimately, the K.I.S.S. principle worked for me. As for the Magician and the NVME driver, that's another story. I'm impatiently waiting for a BIOS update to hopefully resolve that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jbayko View Post
    I removed the secondary (original) HDD, and the Win 10 UEFI install on the new M.2 went fine! Silly me. I assumed that the laptop wouldn't care about the 2 Windows installations because I was telling it which drive to boot from.

I'm back on track now. Thank you for your patience with me as I figure this out. I'm pretty technically inclined, which is why I am not afraid to try new stuff out, but this is the first time I've done something like this.

Thanks for your help so far. I'm going to be using a couple more of your "How To" guides...hopefully I won't need to bother you too much

PS: I ended up not using the ie.cfg file and it automatically determined my edition / channel and activated Windows. I'm 99.9% sure that the original "product key" error I got was because I was using the wrong edition value in the .cfg.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
    It just seems like we're trying to make things unnecessarily difficult for the sake of the challenge. I used the MS Media Creation Tool to create the USB boot image and it worked fine. I slicked the 950 Pro and just initialized it to GPT and then let Windows 10 setup create the default partitions. So, maybe some of the partitions are a little bit bigger than they need to be but not enough to worry about.

If you like the challenge, that's cool. If you prefer RUFUS, that's cool. If you like to control every little nuance, that totally cool too. But, geez, if the Media Creation Tool doesn't give you a good bootable W10 image and the Windows 10 default partition layout in setup doesn't work, you've probably got another problem. I've done my share of battling the install on the 950 Pro on my G752VT, part;y because I tried to do things the hard way but, ultimately, the K.I.S.S. principle worked for me. As for the Magician and the NVME driver, that's another story. I'm impatiently waiting for a BIOS update to hopefully resolve that issue.
    I realize this. I read the instructions and saw that there was a simple Windows Media Creator option. I actually used the tool from the start and only used Rufus because I wanted to archive the ISO file, which the Windows tool doesn't allow you to do at the same time as creating a USB. So the only options are to use Rufus or run the Windows Media Creator (which takes a long time) tool twice.

At the end of the day, the problem was the fact that I had a second hard drive plugged into the laptop. This has nothing to do with how simple or complex process one chooses to use - it's going to prevent the installation no matter what.

I'm jealous you got to install the Samsung 950 Pro. Unfortunately, my ASUS model has compatibility issues.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array Gps3dx PC Specs
    Gps3dx PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Current: G751JT | Retired: G55VW, G51JX
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Storage #1Samsungs EVO 850 128GB
    Storage #21TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 (HTS721010A9E630)
    CPU CoolerMother Nature & Thermodynamics laws
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Headset/Speakers Logitech T6060
    OS Cleaned installed Windows 10 HOME x64
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

Quote Originally Posted by jbayko View Post
    because I wanted to archive the ISO file, which the Windows tool doesn't allow you to do
    Look here... The win10 media creator allows to create an ISO file so you can save it where-ever you want... then later you can use apps like Rufus to make Bootable USB from it.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Gps3dx View Post
    Look here... The win10 media creator allows to create an ISO file so you can save it where-ever you want... then later you can use apps like Rufus to make Bootable USB from it.
    Yes, this is exactly what I did. I think you misunderstood my post:

I actually used the tool from the start and only used Rufus because I wanted to archive the ISO file, which the Windows tool doesn't allow you to do at the same time as creating a USB. So the only options are to use Rufus or run the Windows Media Creator (which takes a long time) tool twice.
    I used Windows Media Creator to create the ISO file. But Windows Media Creator will not ALSO use that ISO file to create a bootable USB drive. Thus, I used Windows Media Creator + Rufus combination to do the trick, as I didn't want to run Windows Media Creator twice (once to create the ISO + once to create the ISO and bootable USB drive.

ROG Enthusiast Array

This is a bit offtopic, but please bear with me. I would like to dual boot Win7Pro and Win10Pro (In UEFI mode of course). I am preparing for a clean install. Win10Pro license is sorted - this was originally 8.1, which I upgraded to Win10 and then to Pro. I still need to get the Win7Pro license, but that's another matter. What would be the order you guys would suggest? First install Win7 and then Win10 or the other way around (is it really possible)?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Saipher; 12-22-2015 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Specified UEFI mode.

Gps3dx PC Specs
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

Quote Originally Posted by Saipher View Post
    This is a bit offtopic, but please bear with me. I would like to dual boot Win7Pro and Win10Pro (In UEFI mode of course). I am preparing for a clean install. Win10Pro license is sorted - this was originally 8.1, which I upgraded to Win10 and then to Pro. I still need to get the Win7Pro license, but that's another matter. What would be the order you guys would suggest? First install Win7 and then Win10 or the other way around (is it really possible)?
    Thanks!
    Not "off topic" at all my friend... this is the right thread for that

• for windows 7 UEFI installation - you might want to check you installation disk's files... cuz back then, the .efi boot file wasn't that popular - and the .efi is a MUST HAVE inorder to install the OS as uefi compatible.
      look here under step 4
    • now... for the "order of installation" Q - it depends on how you wish to "see" the bootloader...
      Win10 by default shows the new "GUI" with button that are selectabe with mouse... the downside is that if you booted once win10->reboot->get into that GUIbootloader->and select win7... the PC will REBOOT AGAIN !
      so inorder to bypass that 2nd unwanted reboot - either you "downgrade" the win10 GUI bootloader to be text based UI using some CMD command ( see here ) or you use win7 bootloader which is text based only.
    • How to force win7 bootloader instead of win10 ?
      The 2nd OS you install, will replace the already installed 1st OS bootloader.
      nonetheless, you can always presume you don't care about windows installation order, and after both OS are installed, enter windows installation environment ( I.E windowsRE = just boot the installation USB/Disk ) then open CMD (see HERE & HERE how to) and use bootrec utility with the "RebuildBcd" and "fixboot" switches as shown in these link sources.
    • there are many wonderful guides over the web about windows dual/triple/etc booting...Like this one
    • To rise you moral into learning about multiboot - let me show you that through the use of linux based bootloader like BURG ( not GRUB ),
      You can have a magnificent shinny graphical GUI like I had on my good old Asus G51JX ( BURG work on every PC ) during times I had time:
      (Full explanation with source & resources found HERE - if you want the files, just let me know, i'm the OP poster )
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post-369261-1312396565.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	54271

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Thanks a lot for the guide @Gps3dx ! I just got my Samsung 850Evo and I successfully installed my Win10 in UEFI mode. Damn, this machine is working so flawless now with the SSD (keep in mind that I've never used SSD for my notebooks ) ).

Also thanks a lot for the info on the Intel Chipset "Driver" that apparently doesn't have a lot to do with any drivers. Now I'm gonna try the Key Remapping to see how that works.

PS: You should also add the "Color Calibration for the G751 using splendid profile" (just the profile, not the software). You have the link to the small guide over here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...l=1#post476412

Cheers and happy holidays !
    Last edited by NitroX; 12-26-2015 at 12:03 PM.

Gps3dx PC Specs
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

Quote Originally Posted by NitroX View Post
    Thanks a lot for the guide @Gps3dx ! I just got my Samsung 850Evo and I successfully installed my Win10 in UEFI mode. Damn, this machine is working so flawless now with the SSD (keep in mind that I've never used SSD for my notebooks ) ).

Also thanks a lot for the info on the Intel Chipset "Driver" that apparently doesn't have a lot to do with any drivers. Now I'm gonna try the Key Remapping to see how that works.

PS: You should also add the "Color Calibration for the G751 using splendid profile" (just the profile, not the software). You have the link to the small guide over here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...l=1#post476412

Cheers and happy holidays !
    ah... good to hear...
    Yeah...ssd is a different world.
    make sure you ssd is aligned properly (link) - this will give you even more speed.

I've update the guides section with these posts about the color calibration - thanks for the idea.

P.S - because you got the evo850 ( me2 ): have you installed the latest Samsung Magician 4.8 and enabled RAPID MODE ?
    this should boost even more the OS.

ROG Member Array

Im sorry but total noob here. Does a GL552VW-DH71 use UEFI?

ROG Enthusiast Array

yes

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast