cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Asus Backtracker Works? Erase everything in the entire disk?

skajuan
Level 7
here's the thing, when i first bought my asus g750js it came with windows 8.1 preisntalled, the first thing i made was to create the recovery usb with asus backtracker, it's been almost two years now, and i have made a lot of changes to the hdd like resizing partitio and etc, and i have a lot of data stored on the second partition (not the os partition), the question is, wich partition is going be affected by the recovery usb or it will erase everything in the entire disk leaving the laptop in a brand new state (with none of the information tha i have stored?)
6 REPLIES 6

redduc900
Level 9
When using Backtracker, all of the stored data will be wiped/erased. It recreates the partitions as they were when the laptop was new. In the process, all of the partitions are formatted, hence wiping them clean prior to restoring the saved image. So make sure to back up anything you don't want to lose beforehand.
Laptop: Asus G750JZ

skajuan
Level 7
that's pretty sad but thanks for the answer 😄

Maxter
Level 9
another note... My computer came with 1 HDD. I added a second one, moved all my data from 1st HDD into 2nd new HDD. Used backtracker. Backtracker formated both drives, and made 4 partitions (2 on each drive), and installed OS.
Note to self: Remove 2nd drive with all saved data before doing backtracker (I didn't know it would also kill the second drive).

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Hehe Mr Maxter beat me to it. ;d

REMOVE ALL SECONDARY DRIVES WHEN REINSTALLING FROM BACKTRACKER

Because if you don't, BOTH drives are wiped.. and for no reason, too. ;d

Remember after 'BackTracking' to re-enable Safeboot and SecureBoot, then go into 'Right Click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management and re-activate / map the secondary hard drive if it doesn't appear. ;d

Darnassus wrote:
Hehe Mr Maxter beat me to it. ;d

REMOVE ALL SECONDARY DRIVES WHEN REINSTALLING FROM BACKTRACKER

Because if you don't, BOTH drives are wiped.. and for no reason, too. ;d

Remember after 'BackTracking' to re-enable Safeboot and SecureBoot, then go into 'Right Click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management and re-activate / map the secondary hard drive if it doesn't appear. ;d

true story... ffffffffffffffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFfffffffffffffffffffff the rage consumed me after I realized 😞

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Maxter wrote:
true story... ffffffffffffffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFfffffffffffffffffffff the rage consumed me after I realized 😞

:'x ❤️