cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Solution to saving custom Fan curves in GPU Tweak 2

SuperAnt
Level 7
Like many of you here in this forum and elsewhere I have tried in vain to create a custom fan profile for my 980 Ti Strix using GPU Tweak 2. I could create the profile and it would work until I either rebooted or shut down GPU Tweak. On restart the default profile would be back.
I had almost given up when I spotted 4 .ini files in the Asus tweak directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\GPU TweakII). The first file, InitData_Card1.ini was for my card, the 980Ti Strix. Going through the file I noticed some settings for fan control. The default profile waits until the card starts to get hot and then attempts to cool the card with a very modest duty cycle (fan RPM). My card would throttle and temps were close to 80C using the default fan profile.
(Default fansetting shown below from InitData_Card1.ini )

[fansetting]
DefStartTemp=64
DefStartFanduty=33
IsHybridFan=1
IsSupportFanPolicyTable=1
IsSupportFanControl_AMD=0
TempPoint1=61
FandutyPoint1=33
TempPoint2=84
FandutyPoint2=54
TempPoint3=90
FandutyPoint3=65
TempPoint4=99
FandutyPoint4=100
TempPoint5=100
FandutyPoint5=100

I found that when I added the values that I wanted the fan profile changed. Not only did it change but it now sticks, it doesn’t lose my settings after a reboot anymore. (See my changes below).

[fansetting]
DefStartTemp=30
DefStartFanduty=33
IsHybridFan=1
TempPoint1=30
FandutyPoint1=33
TempPoint2=50
FandutyPoint2=50
TempPoint3=60
FandutyPoint3=60
TempPoint4=70
FandutyPoint4=70
TempPoint5=80
FandutyPoint5=80

This profile starts the fan at 30C and ramps it up gradually thru 80C, I seldom see temps higher than 65c after prolonged gaming sessions and no throttling. Just backup your ini file, change your values to the profile you want copy and overwrite the file in the Asus Tweak directory, reboot and test. If you look at the GUI for the custom fan profile it will still show the “old quite hot fan curve” but testing with GPU-Z and the Tweak monitoring utility will prove that the fans are operating the way you specified the ini file.
This worked for me and I hope it helps others who are looking for a fix. It’s not perfect but it is a good work around. Make sure and use the ini file that is specific to your card.
10 REPLIES 10

hermes129
Level 7
SuperAnt wrote:
Like many of you here in this forum and elsewhere I have tried in vain to create a custom fan profile for my 980 Ti Strix using GPU Tweak 2. I could create the profile and it would work until I either rebooted or shut down GPU Tweak. On restart the default profile would be back.
I had almost given up when I spotted 4 .ini files in the Asus tweak directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\GPU TweakII). The first file, InitData_Card1.ini was for my card, the 980Ti Strix. Going through the file I noticed some settings for fan control. The default profile waits until the card starts to get hot and then attempts to cool the card with a very modest duty cycle (fan RPM). My card would throttle and temps were close to 80C using the default fan profile.
(Default fansetting shown below from InitData_Card1.ini )

[fansetting]
DefStartTemp=64
DefStartFanduty=33
IsHybridFan=1
TempPoint1=61
FandutyPoint1=33
TempPoint2=84
FandutyPoint2=54
TempPoint3=90
FandutyPoint3=65
TempPoint4=99
FandutyPoint4=100
TempPoint5=100
FandutyPoint5=100

I found that when I added the values that I wanted the fan profile changed. Not only did it change but it now sticks, it doesn’t lose my settings after a reboot anymore. (See my changes below).

[fansetting]
DefStartTemp=30
DefStartFanduty=33
IsHybridFan=1
TempPoint1=30
FandutyPoint1=33
TempPoint2=50
FandutyPoint2=50
TempPoint3=60
FandutyPoint3=60
TempPoint4=70
FandutyPoint4=70
TempPoint5=80
FandutyPoint5=80

This profile starts the fan at 30C and ramps it up gradually thru 80C, I seldom see temps higher than 65c after prolonged gaming sessions and no throttling. Just backup your ini file, change your values to the profile you want copy and overwrite the file in the Asus Tweak directory, reboot and test. If you look at the GUI for the custom fan profile it will still show the “old quite hot fan curve” but testing with GPU-Z and the Tweak monitoring utility will prove that the fans are operating the way you specified the ini file.
This worked for me and I hope it helps others who are looking for a fix. It’s not perfect but it is a good work around. Make sure and use the ini file that is specific to your card.

Interesting. I have an issue with my GTX980 Strix spinning up too fast and loud after I entered a game for less than 5 min. Adjusting the Ai Suite 3 Graphics Card (smart mode) and Tweak 2 to no avail. Profiles are saved but they do not work at all. Same problem. Out of frustration, I uninstalled Tweak 2.

I shall try out your solution. Thanks for sharing.

DeathtoGnomes
Level 9
Thats another thing I'd like to point out, the four separate *.ini. That seems a beginners programming mistake, there is no reason to have those 4 files, they should all be as 1 file. I'm willing to bet someone who can write in QBasic can come up with a better solution. But if the GpuT team wants 4 files then here is another way, first check if there really are 4 cards installed is rather simple to do, IF there is 4 cards, THEN check how many, then create ini file for each one.
SpeedFan controls fans and temps, once you learn how to configure it properly. :cool:

I tried your method as i'm having the same issue. Yet it won't save the custom .INI and reverts itself back to the stock profile, or worse an old profile i made which i can't find on my computer anywhere to delete.

It doesn't work, sometimes it doesn't even respond to the 0dB switch on stock profiles. I moved to MSI afterburner, it lets you do the same thing but does respond to custom fan settings.

Interesting, i have 2x Asus Strix GTX 980Ti OC on SLI
For ur information. MSI afterburner (well at least my case) needs to be running in order to keep my GPU fan curves. If i close it, default values back.
On GPU Tweak, i can close the app after adjusting fan curves and keeps them.
Now about the INI files, i have seen that they get updated ini file 1 and ini file 2 respectively, every time i OPEN GPU tweak, the values didnt change. Ini files have default values. Didnt notice a change after hit APPLY or SAVE PROFILE
Will try changing the INI files directly and make them READ ONLY.
Noticed also when i actívate, deactivate SLI, my Profiles saved dissapears.

EDIT: Another thing i noticed: each ini (1 and 2) have quite different voltaje values dunno from where came.
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=22ED44FA53691080!956&authkey=!AAMFQnoOVS_Pwyg&v=3&ithint=photo...

toronto699
Level 13
The best solution for all GPU Tweak users is to PM Bahz and Raja @Asus , As we all have the same issue with GPU Tweak and this issue has been from the beginning of the first release of the software and has never been fixed one of the worst written programs in recent History every one keeps saying so lets tell Asus Please. This is Asus's Leading Edge Graphic Software. But In Reality its amateurish. No Asus Reps ever visit the Gpu Tweak Thread, maybe they know how awefull the software is or they do not know at all . Please lets tell them
http://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?3408-Raja-ASUS
https://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?240188-Bahz

It turns out that the gpu tweak II actually DOES save your custom fan curves. The problem is that this program is kinda glitchy, however the solution is rather simple and it always work. -> Make your custom profile and set up your fan curves, then save. Obviously it stays that way UNTIL you click away on another profile or if the program restarts. When that happens, simply click away from the custom profile to another(w/e which one), then click back on your custom and check your setup, it's all back the way you set them up.

toronto699
Level 13
krumpli thanks for info

Ghoster
Level 7
That is what I need to do know for even their own "oc" profile.
somehow it keeps putting the memory oc to none, when I click one of the other
profiles and come back to the OC profile it put +50 back into the memory, which is the correct value for the oc .

Are asus serious with this app? can't save fan profile without regedit trick, BSDO most times when trying to use 0DBFAN on or off.
And now even their own default profiles acting up?? few forums full of these reports, and they do nothing!!

Also I noticed the card temps going up for not reason lately, same drivers, same temps in room, pc clean not dust, yet my card used
to be at 70c with fan at 70% with the oc profile, now its always at 83c . only thing that changed was that I updated gpu tweak II to latest.

Does anyone else noticing this?