cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIII Hero + i7 6700k - high VCore

TheOkeland
Level 7
Hello,

my new ASUS Maximus VIII Hero seems to use silly voltages.
With default Bios (everything on auto) the Core Voltage raises to 1,4V.
I tried to reduce the VCore with an Offset of -0,15 and this worked just fine, but after returning from sleep-mode, the VCore is 1,4V again.

Now can someone please tell me, why my board wants to use a so high Core Voltage and how to reduce it
10 REPLIES 10

Nate152
Hello The0keland

On the extreme tweaker tab scroll down to cpu core voltage, set it to manual and enter in 1.20v in the cpu core voltage override. Run a stability test to see if it's stable, if it is lower it .01v to 1.19v and test again. Keep lowering the cpu core voltage override .01v until it becomes unstable then raise it back up .01v

On the other hand if it doesn't boot keep raising the cpu core voltage override .01v until it boots and passes a stability test.

Good luck and let us know what cpu core voltage you end up with.

Hello Natel,

this would give me the minimum Core Voltage under full load, but how should this solve my problem?
In Idle, the Core Voltage would be unnecessary high, because of that, i wanted to use the Offset solution.

And still there is the question why ASUS uses a so high default Core Voltage.

But i will test it, and then we will see, how much Core Voltage I need.

Manual Core Voltage in Bios: 1,24V
Core Voltage in AI Suite 3 (Idle): 1,232V
Core Voltage in AI Suite 3 (Load): 1,168V

The System runs prime95 smallFFTS stabil @ 4,2 GhZ

But manual mode isnt really energy efficent.
Now after returning from sleep-mode, the manual Core Voltage still remains.

Nate152
After you get the lowest voltage you can run with then you can switch to adaptive or offset mode. You'll have to enter a value -.001v or +.001v for the offset/adaptive mode to take effect.

Asus programs the boards based on the cpu's they tested. Because all cpu's are not created equal they overvolt it some at stock settings to ensure all cpu's run stable.

If you're an overclocker you could just set it at 1.40v and raise the cpu core ratio by 1 testing for stability each time and see how far you can get.

But then why is the Offset gone after returning from sleep-mode?

And a max Core Voltage of 1,4V ist a bit much overvolting xD

I don't use sleep mode so all I can say about that is it could be a bios issue. You could try updating the bios to the latest version following this guide. Rename the bios file to M8H.CAP

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback

Yes I think 1.40v is way overvolting for default settings but you've got the voltage down a good bit.

I have an older mobo and cpu and I run my cpu at 5.0GHz with 1.45v in manual mode, here's my results if you care to see them.

Nate152
I don't use sleep mode so all I can say about that is it could be a bios issue. You could try updating the bios to the latest version following this guide. Rename the bios file to M8H.CAP

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback

Yes I think 1.40v is way overvolting for default settings but you've got the voltage down a good bit.

I have an older mobo and cpu but I can run my cpu at 5.0GHz with 1.45v, here's my results if you care to see them.

TheOkeland
Level 7
How do you manage it, that CPU-Z shows you the Core Voltage?
Mine only wants to show the VID, but not the Core Voltage itself.......

Nate152
Maybe try a different version of ROG cpu-z, 1.73 is the latest version I'm using version 1.72