cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funny smell at the G750JM exhaust

MaxCioco
Level 7
I noticed some while ago ( like a week ) that sometimes when I walk in to the room and the laptop is on there is a funny smell in the room, like something is burning slowly/heated up... something. It seems that most of the smell comes from the vcard's exhaust. Both when it's on or when it's off. And not always. Sometimes happends after it's on for 12 hours, other times when it's on for only 15 minutes.
The temps are ~37 for cpu and 0 for gpu (idle) and ~60cpu and 65gpu when gaming. The mb is ~42 idle and ~60 while gaming. So nothing high in particular. Not to mention in idle the keyboard is as warm as the room temp and in gaming under 40.

So, my first guess is that it's built up dust is heating up and making this funny smell. I'm going to open it soon and see what's with the dust inside, but I want to know if any of you encountered this phenomenon. Last time I cleaned it up is like 4 months ago. I never took out the mb while cleaning it because I don't know how to take off the keyboard and the asus guys here ask for 30$ to do it, and it takes 2 weeks.

Do you think I have a problem? Any ideea what might give that smell, apart from the dust? It's not a strong one, and not like burning plastic, more like something that has been heated up.
7 REPLIES 7

toronto699
Level 13
what model # u have?

MaxCioco
Level 7
G750JM, with maxwell architecture videocard. And I am one of the few lucky with no bsods with the latest drivers.
It used to bsod when I bough it, but then I got some errors with windows, did some rollbacks, tried to overclock and after opent the laptop to clean it and messes with it's battery grounding (somehow, or at least that is think I did) cuz at battery lower than 29% it gives warning messages (seldom, but it does) that the battery is 6%. This happened about 1 year ago, and apart from the strange and incorrect battery warnings it had no problems what so ever. And there were days when I ran it at 30+ celsius ambiental temp for 48 hrs+ non stop with no problems.

toronto699
Level 13

MaxCioco
Level 7
Nice guide, but I still don't know how to take off the keyboard of the mb, cuz there are some very fine cables and more than miniaturized connectors that I have no idea how I'm going to place back on.

A question for those who disassembled the g700 laptops: do I need to take off the mb to clean all the important dust accumulations? Or just clean the fans, fans case and vacuum their slot as I hold the blades in place so they don't rotate.

Maxter
Level 9
you don't need to remove the mobo. But you do need to remove the keyboard to access the mobo and the fans for cleaning. I would use a vacuum and a air can together to blow the dust.

MaxCioco
Level 7
Yep, it did help a lot!

Opened it up today and cleaned all the dust with vacuum and compressed air. Took the keyboard off and re-arranged the cables so they sit properly now.

There was not a lot of dust, but it was "concentrated" in the fan's rotor, over a few bigger parts ( not sure if resistors, but looked like ones for sure)
and on the copper pipe. Now it works perfectly, though hw monitor shows my cpu fan at 3000rpm when idle, even if fan is off. When it start to rotate it shows the correct number. Oh, and the battery is no longer showing 6% warnings while passing from 29% to lower.

Thanks for the tips guys!