cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water-Cooled GX700 Allowed through Security and on Plane?

ReDFoX2200
Level 7
Since some versions of the G752 will water cooled, will it be allowed on planes? USA/europe airports are very strict about liquids on passenger cabin.
Even without the laptop dock, the laptop will be internally have coolant liquid.
Is the laptop certified to be on plane?
9 REPLIES 9

ciccio80
Level 9
I belive you will be able to separate the "liquid" cooler fron the rest of the notebook, and bring only the latter with you.
Not sure if aeroport authorities will let you bring the cooler with you. But I doubt it, unless you can somehow empty the coolant out of it.As of the certification, better ask Asus directly, only they can answer that.

Edweird
Level 10
I think it's the GX700 that's getting water cooled, not G752.
Why would you want to take that big hulking thing into the cabin, just put it in your luggage (if you have any). There's no place in a passenger seat for it, at best you'd have it on your knees and that probably isn't very secure and will probably hurt you...not to mention being very unformfortable.
Also, I'd wager the majority of standard planes don't have power outlets anyways, so...no point running games on a water cooled laptop in an uncomfortable environment on battery. The thing might even have its own separate power supply.

ReDFoX2200
Level 7
So that mean that the laptop it self is air cooled and no liquid inside it at all?

Edweird
Level 10
We don't know. To me, it's hard to imagine either scenario - both having liquid in their loops or just the cooler having the liquid.
Either way, the laptop by itself should still have fans to cool the thing...otherwise it wouldn't be a very good laptop.

QC_AGENT
Level 7
I did tryed to plug in my former G73 in a commercial airplane some years ago. It just popped off the breaker and the whole row got out of AC power. It just draw too much power. It is definitely not for airplane. Although, it works great on a C-17 Globemaster power outlet, but that is another story, and a less comfy plane as well.

QC_AGENT wrote:
I did tryed to plug in my former G73 in a commercial airplane some years ago. It just popped off the breaker and the whole row got out of AC power. It just draw too much power. It is definitely not for airplane. Although, it works great on a C-17 Globemaster power outlet, but that is another story, and a less comfy plane as well.

Haha! You're the type of person that results in warranty claims starting with "So I was skydiving" right?

But seriously, depending on the TSA staff here in the US. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they mistake the entire coolant block for a bomb or something along those lines. It's not really designed for traveling.

Sereus wrote:
Haha! You're the type of person that results in warranty claims starting with "So I was skydiving" right?

😉 My G-751 has already some field experience.

Joystick
Level 7
I think ReDFoX2200 is raising a good question:
is a liquid cooled laptop (without the additional external hardware) allowed on planes?

This laptop has definitively some coolant liquid inside and when unplugged the liquid is certainly not drained out. Why? Because it's f*** stupid to drain out the liquid every time.

Anyway, I have some doubt about this design: MSI is using GT72 and GT80 as GTX 980 receptacles, ASUS is not using G752, but a smaller laptop. ASUS declares an increase in performance by as much as 80% when plugged, which means a decrease in performance by as much as 44% when unplugged. By removing 44% performance of the best desktop overclocked GTX 980 (except liquid nitrogen), I'm starting to not feel comfortable to challenge somebody equipped with a Zenbook.

aeolisio
Level 10
I personally have flown with a modified liquid cooled laptop with water in the lines as well as lan cases that i carried on that had liquid cooling. I also personally know the alienware rep that had one of the demo m18x that was liquid cooled by asetek flew it to multiple events and never mentioned a problem. Sure you might get a question every once in awhile but as long as it looks oem and they can google it they wont give you any issues.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]