cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL551J Keyboard Backlight Issue, only turns on AFTER I input my password

avabo
Level 7
Hello people,
I'd like to know if there is a way i can remedy a small issue that bothers me with the backlight. The thing is, when I log into windows, the backlight only turns on AFTER I input my password, and I'd like it to be turned on before that, since the keys are a little hard to see when there is no light. Is there a way to do that?
10 REPLIES 10

Maxter
Level 9
i don't think you can. The drivers are ran once you log on... unless there is a way to run the drivers as barebone drivers?

MaxCioco
Level 7
On my laptop they turn on as soon as hit the power on button. Never did something in particular for that to work, but I might have an idea why that doesn't work for you.

Open task manager -> start-up -> see that "ETD Control Center" is enabled to start with windows.
My guess is that it's a program that loads up anyway, but if you don't enable that it will start only later on in the loading process.

MaxCioco wrote:
On my laptop they turn on as soon as hit the power on button. Never did something in particular for that to work, but I might have an idea why that doesn't work for you.

Open task manager -> start-up -> see that "ETD Control Center" is enabled to start with windows.
My guess is that it's a program that loads up anyway, but if you don't enable that it will start only later on in the loading process.

You're right, it is enabled in the task manager, so i guess it does load up as soon as the session starts. Which brings me back to step one xD

GottiBoi55
Level 10
avabo wrote:
Hello people,
I'd like to know if there is a way i can remedy a small issue that bothers me with the backlight. The thing is, when I log into windows, the backlight only turns on AFTER I input my password, and I'd like it to be turned on before that, since the keys are a little hard to see when there is no light. Is there a way to do that?

Hi avabo, and welcome to the ROG Forum.
What model notebook do to have?
Do you have the latest BIOS version flashed?
This issue you have is BIOS related, the keyboard should light up as soon as you hit the power button.

Good luck, and good gaming!

PS: Don't worry about the ETD Control center, that for your Elan Touchpad, nothing to do with keyboard back lighting ......LOL
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

GottiBoi55 wrote:
Hi avabo, and welcome to the ROG Forum.
What model notebook do to have?
Do you have the latest BIOS version flashed?
This issue you have is BIOS related, the keyboard should light up as soon as you hit the power button.

Good luck, and good gaming!

PS: Don't worry about the ETD Control center, that for your Elan Touchpad, nothing to do with keyboard back lighting ......LOL

Hello again and thank you for replying.
My notebook is the ROG GL551J, and as for the Bios, I have G551JK.200, 01/08/2014, version 2.7
I hope that helps!

Corporal
Level 9
Never shutting windows down is another way of dealing with this issue. Personally, I always put my laptop in standby mode, rarely hibernation. There is no use shutting down windows every day.

Corporal wrote:
Never shutting windows down is another way of dealing with this issue. Personally, I always put my laptop in standby mode, rarely hibernation. There is no use shutting down windows every day.

I don't know.. I come from the time when it was common to shut down the pc everyday to avoid additional damage, and It kinda stuck with me thru the ages.

avabo wrote:
I don't know.. I come from the time when it was common to shut down the pc everyday to avoid additional damage, and It kinda stuck with me thru the ages.

What time was that? I come from the time that you burn your PC 24/7 as it is the thermal expansion and contraction that causes a large amount of electronics failures. Then there are always factors like disk drive heads sticking, etc.

For all intents and purposes sleeping and hibernation have this same effect.

Not that this is a huge factor, and even less so today, but shutting down your PC every day to prevent additional damage was never really a thing. If anything it was a compromise between electrical usage and longevity; if you want to turn you machine off when not in use it is best to turn it on and off once a day, and not repeatedly throughout the day.

Avabo,

Check my post in this thread: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76327-Standard-G551JW-issues I've not tested it as the g751 keyboard back light behavior is different.

Corporal
Level 9
For all intents and purposes sleeping and hibernation have this same effect.

The laptop performs much less calculations and doesn't get as rapidly hot when waking up from sleep or hibernation.

By the way, I don't shut down my G751JY even if I'm taking it apart to clean fans. Hibernation saves everything to the SSD, I turn it on after the procedure and I'm right where I left off :cool: