cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JW Windows 10 Upgrade woes

Xatzimi
Level 7
Hello all, I'm new to this forum. I have a problem I really need fixed.

Let me explain:
When W10 came out, I jumped on the opportunity to upgrade--it's better than 8, certainly. When I upgraded, I did not use the upgrade tool, but instead I installed from a USB stick. I wanted to clear my entire hard drive and start over, because it was cluttered. Anyway, I tried then to download drivers from the ASUS website, and the nVidia drivers, but I'm still having problems.

Problems:
Whenever I start a game, my monitor (external and built-in) goes completely black for at least 30 seconds, and displays "no connection" until the computer starts functioning again; or displays broken-pixel looking gibberish onscreen.
For that matter, my computer will completely freeze when this happens (except audio). Even Skype will freeze or crash during it.
If I alt+tab out of a game, the screen will flash on and off headache-inducingly, or sometimes will go completely black and not come back.
If I click back into a game after that, often it will crash. Some have given me errors that say something about DirectX.
Even when a game is running, it's slower than it was before, and has lag and v-sync issues.

I thought it was a graphics driver issue at first, so I installed the latest nVidia driver for my card (a 765m), but these issues persist. I read on another forum that it might be a chipset driver issue, but that's something I haven't tried. What's the particular driver I need to download for my model?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

toronto699
Level 13
to install W10 u must upgrade to W10 first , then u can do a clean install , is W10 activated ?
https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?157-G750-G550-and-G56-Gaming-Notebooks
if u still have option to upgrade , try that
here is the driver page for your G750jw
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JW/HelpDesk_Download/
u can install the W8.1 drivers on a W10 machine Chip set driver is in W8.1 driver list for your G750jw

Thanks for the info and links. I have already upgraded to 10, but, alas, *sigh* it's not activated. I have a valid product key and all, but when I installed, it wouldn't let me use it. (Let alone I don't have the box anymore.) Would that be affecting my performance? Because, at any rate, I do need to sort that out with Microsoft one of these days.

As for the driver page, I downloaded the Utilities and the ATK package. Do I need to download any of the BIOS drivers?

Also, when downloading the chipset, it says that the version from the download is an older version than the one I have installed. Should I leave it be?

Furthermore, the readme suggests doing more manual installations. Could I have a little explanation on what exactly I need to be doing?

toronto699
Level 13
If W10 is not Activated , W10 did not install the drivers for W10 I would think , if chip set is newer no need that's up to u if u want to try it . but try the intel driver utility
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/
W10 would not change your bios, if bios is older version update it. others have reinstalled most drivers when they went to W10 I did not , I have a G751 laptop W10, and a G30 Asus Gaming tower W10 and W8.1.
U should call Microsoft get W10 Activated asap
I only installed the drivers that were newer
W10 when I upgraded added many things to my 3 machines
I hope its a W10 Product Key

I installed a VGA driver from the 8.1 drivers page, and that fixes a lot of issues, however now there's very obvious vsync tearing, even when switching between desktops. Do you have any idea what might be causing that?

Also, I found this link. What might I need from there?

But as for the premise of re-installing drivers, I didn't have any to re-install, because I did a clean install. Don't some of them download automatically?

toronto699
Level 13
All the drivers u need are from the official asus driver page link I posted , it has all W8.1 W10 drivers.
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JW/HelpDesk_Download/

I'm thinking more and more that this is a video card issue. See, when I installed the VGA driver off of the ASUS site, it worked okay. But nVidia said there was an update, so I updated, and then it's gone back to the quirks it was having before, albeit less so.

toronto699
Level 13
If W10 is not activated it will not download any updates only the ones u manually update
Call Microsoft and Activate W10

Yeah, I'll try that. Though I don't know how much it's going to fix things. *fingers crossed* I'm also trying to contact ASUS support too.