cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750J won't boot, no BIOS either

Limewar
Level 7
My CPU was getting really hot when underload, around 90-95 °C.
Because of this my fans would ramp up to 5500rpm, which I think is max rpm of this laptop.
It was unbearably loud so I decided to open it up and clean it.

I removed all the dust and replaced the CPU cooling paste.
Before closing it again I wanted to boot it first.
After powering the device without drives, it booted to the BIOS.
But after a few seconds it shut down and made the sound of a speaker disconnecting from a cable.

Since I can not get it to boot, when I plug in the power cable the power led blinks once.
If I hold down the power button it blinks every 5-10 seconds, but doesn't boot.
It doesn't even show the BIOS, it feels like its completely dead.

Does anyone have a suggestion to where my problem might be?
I'm hope its not the motherboard or the CPU.
7 REPLIES 7

Maxter
Level 9
I had this issue with my G1S, back in the day. Ended up being a burned GPU card. I hope it's not that for you... I assume you're out of warranty?

Yeah the warranty expired.
I hope its something I can fix although it doesn't seem like it.
Checked if all plug are in, but I think it's the mobo or CPU.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Limewar wrote:
But after a few seconds it shut down and made the sound of a speaker disconnecting from a cable

.................... thaaaaat.. sounds like a short circuit.

Darnassus wrote:
.................... thaaaaat.. sounds like a short circuit.

That probably means something got damaged, any idea if I can fix this in any way?
Been looking on the web for new motherboards with a CPU since they are soldered on.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
.. I really cannot pinpoint exactly what it'd be.

The G750 series aren't that great with insulation. The whole top deck becomes electrified, possibly a screw connecting it to the motherboard. It's a flaw in the design sadly. I guess you've brought the flaw to a more serious point and shorted something on the board itself.

This is entirely a theory though..

.. could you try to disassemble the entire unit and rebuild it, making sure you hadn't crossed a wire or put something somewhere where it shouldn't be?

Darnassus wrote:
.. I really cannot pinpoint exactly what it'd be.

The G750 series aren't that great with insulation. The whole top deck becomes electrified, possibly a screw connecting it to the motherboard. It's a flaw in the design sadly. I guess you've brought the flaw to a more serious point and shorted something on the board itself.

This is entirely a theory though..

.. could you try to disassemble the entire unit and rebuild it, making sure you hadn't crossed a wire or put something somewhere where it shouldn't be?

Guess that's my only option.
I hope it not permanently damaged, these are not the cheapest laptops.
Been looking around for a replacement motherboard, they are around 400$.
Thanks for your help.

redduc900
Level 9
Try to discharge the notebook by unplugging, removing the battery and all peripheral devices, then holding the Power On button for 10 seconds. Then plug it in and see if it starts. Could also be an issue w/ a corrupted BIOS. You could try copying the latest BIOS file for your model to a thumb drive, then hold down Ctrl + Home while powering on. Hopefully at that point the BIOS Recovery Utility will appear, then flash the BIOS from the thumb drive.
Laptop: Asus G750JZ