cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus vi forumula wount upgrade to win10

shieber
Level 7
I have maximus vi formula with 8.1 64bit, all latest drivers and PIOS 1603. Win 10 upgrade checker says everything fine for upgrade, downloads and then about a third through the prep, stops with error. I've tried installing all the win 10 drivers from asus for this board that would install but result is same. I've stopped non-ms services and startups, but still win10 won't upgrade.

Help?

tia
4 REPLIES 4

HR5171A
Level 7
shieber wrote:
I have maximus vi formula with 8.1 64bit, all latest drivers and PIOS 1603. Win 10 upgrade checker says everything fine for upgrade, downloads and then about a third through the prep, stops with error. I've tried installing all the win 10 drivers from asus for this board that would install but result is same. I've stopped non-ms services and startups, but still win10 won't upgrade.

Help?

tia

What is the error you are getting? You shouldn't install the Windows 10 drivers until you have actually upgraded to Windows 10. It could simply be that you don't have enough disk space available. Try to free up some space if your disk is full.

HR5171A wrote:
What is the error you are getting? You shouldn't install the Windows 10 drivers until you have actually upgraded to Windows 10. It could simply be that you don't have enough disk space available. Try to free up some space if your disk is full.

thanks. I found some other Maximus vi formula folks that had same prob and they had to first clean install win7 or 8/8.1 then do win10 upgrade.

I have 100s of GBs of disk space. win10 installer dvd couldn't find updates because when it installed it couldn't find network adaptor. I finally found the original driver disk that came with mobo. Loaded the old drivers. then windows could find network adaptor and connect to internet and find updates. I had to use a win10 install dvdv, which I made from an MS link with the iso, and first do a clean install of the win8 that was originally installed on the machine. (my 8.1 was an inplace online upgrade,). Then all I had to do was reinstall all my programs and data.

steps that worked:

clean install of original windows version
instyall original drivers from MOBO driver disk
install win10 from installer dvd
reinstall everything else.

HR5171A wrote:

thanks.

Alas it didn't work with any driver set. Had to clean instal windows 8 first, then update. After months of trying every other thing I could, that was only thing that worked and even then it wasn't smooth sailing. See my other post.

Menthol
Level 14
When you start the upgrade it asks to look for updates, are you letting it do this, it takes much longer but is more likely to succeed as it searches for and installs drivers from Windows data base for most of your hardware during the installation