cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JS Cant't activate Windows 8.1 after installed new SSD with Asus backtracker

Bokai
Level 7
Hi!

I can't seem to activate Windows 8.1 on my newly bought 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD. What am I doing wrong?

This is what I have done:

1. Run Asus Backtracker to create recovery to my 16GB USB Drive. (from original 750GB HDD, with activated Windows 8.1)
2. Remove HDD, insert SDD in the same slot
3. Reboot from USB, recover to SDD
4. Boot in to freshly installed Windows 8.1 from SDD - Windows can't activate even though it finds the key from the BIOS. The CD-key is the same as in step 1...

I've used different tools extract the key from the old HDD to make sure it is exactly the same in the new SSD, and it is. I even tried to manually enter the key, but it just says "the product key doesn't work" in Activate Windows. I also tried to activate windows by phone, but no luck.

Anyone else experienced anything similar? Any tips?

Edit: Forgot to mention that this is on my G750JS laptop

/Bokai
23 REPLIES 23

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Erm.. were you 8.1 in the first place? I THINK your key upgrades when you move from 8 to 8.1 (Not sure.)

Darnassus wrote:
Erm.. were you 8.1 in the first place? I THINK your key upgrades when you move from 8 to 8.1 (Not sure.)

Yes it was 8.1 in the first place. The BIOS key is the same as the key used for Windows, so it hasn't changed anyway. 😕

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Bokai wrote:
Yes it was 8.1 in the first place. The BIOS key is the same as the key used for Windows, so it hasn't changed anyway. 😕

Umm..

http://en.janek2012.eu/ultimate-pid-checker/ Use this from now on to make sure you get the right key.

P.S.

Are you sure you installed Windows in UEFI mode? I think it's GPT not MBR.

Hi, thanks for you help! But I'm not totally sure what you mean?

I am not doing a clean install with a random windows 8.1 installation disc. I am using the Asus backtracker tool that comes with the ROG laptop to create bootable recovery media on to a 16GB USB stick.

When I run the recovery media from the USB with my new SSD I never choose what windows version to install, nor do I get any options to choose MBT or GPT. The same key that is used on the old HDD is automatically added to the new SSD installation, and the windows versions are the same. It boots just fine, but it can't be activated... (

Oh, and I just checked, the new SSD is automatically set as GPT, so it shouldn't be that. 😞

redduc900
Level 9
See if this thread is of any help to you...

Bypass UEFI provided product key to install Windows 8???
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/bipass-uefi-provided-prod...
Laptop: Asus G750JZ

redduc900
Level 9
I have to be clear on something... you used a tool like RWEverything to access the ACPI tables--> MSDM tab, then used the product key located adjacent to the Data entry?

redduc900 wrote:
I have to be clear on something... you used a tool like RWEverything to access the ACPI tables--> MSDM tab, then used the product key located adjacent to the Data entry?

Yes, that key is already the one used, both in the old installation and in the new on the SSD. But just to make sure, I tried copying it again and enter it as a "new key" under Windows activation. Still no change.

redduc900
Level 9
When you called MS to activate, did you use their automated system or talk to a live person?