cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutdown and restart problem on Asus VIII Ranger

jcdss
Level 7
So I have tried to clear CMOS and update the BIOS version. I have also done the mem-ok. Still, whenever I try to shutdown the computer, it is stuck at q-code 04. And whenever I try to restart the computer, it is stuck at q-code 02. In both cases, the monitor is off but the tower is still running. In addition, the reset button on the case does not work.

My build is

CPU: i5-6600k
Motherboard: Asus VIII Ranger
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
Storage: Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970
Power Supply: Corsair RM650W

Please help me with my issue and also give me any suggestion for my build.

Thank you very much
9 REPLIES 9

Icemanjoker
Level 7
jcdss wrote:
So I have tried to clear CMOS and update the BIOS version. I have also done the mem-ok. Still, whenever I try to shutdown the computer, it is stuck at q-code 04. And whenever I try to restart the computer, it is stuck at q-code 02. In both cases, the monitor is off but the tower is still running. In addition, the reset button on the case does not work.

My build is

CPU: i5-6600k
Motherboard: Asus VIII Ranger
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
Storage: Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970
Power Supply: Corsair RM650W

Please help me with my issue and also give me any suggestion for my build.

Thank you very much

Hello Mate,

I have exactly the same problem as you! I can login to Windows whithout any problems and start up my PC but cannot shutdown nor restart my rig.
A0 code is shown, the screen is all black and the restart / shutdown buttons are not responding at all.

It couldn't restart even during windows instalation!
Have tried all the available BIOS files.

Memory DDR4 2666 --> Memory test OK
6600K --> CPU Test OK

It has taken me more than 2 weeks to be able to find out that this damned board is causing the trouble.

We have given our money for a device which should work! Please FIX it ASAP, or give our money back.

Greetings,
An angry customer

Icemanjoker wrote:
Hello Mate,

I have exactly the same problem as you! I can login to Windows whithout any problems and start up my PC but cannot shutdown nor restart my rig.
A0 code is shown, the screen is all black and the restart / shutdown buttons are not responding at all.

It couldn't restart even during windows instalation!
Have tried all the available BIOS files.

Memory DDR4 2666 --> Memory test OK
6600K --> CPU Test OK

It has taken me more than 2 weeks to be able to find out that this damned board is causing the trouble.

We have given our money for a device which should work! Please FIX it ASAP, or give our money back.

Greetings,
An angry customer

Hey,

So i actually called Asus motherboard customer service about the issue. They told me that this indicates that there are some problems with the motherboard, and it might be defected. I got a replacement with the vendor. However, on this second motherboard, I have the same problem as before. I assume that either there are large amount of this motherboard come with defects, or there are flaws in its design.

THEREFORE For those who are interested in getting this Asus Maximus VIII Ranger motherboard and saw my post, PLEASE DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING IT. YOU WILL SPEND A LOT OF YOUR TIME TRYING TO FIX YOUR COMPUTER.
However, this is a matter of personal opinion. Try it if you want to.

Sorry that I reply this late. Mate

My motherboard is doing something similar, but it does startup and restart within windows OK. It just doesn't shutdown fully all the time, it's an intermediate problem.
I've updated the BIOS to the latest version, without a fix. The reset button on the motherboard and the one one the case doesn't always work either.
It happens only after the shutdown problem. Other times it shuts down fully and I can reset it if I want to.

When it doesn't shutdown fully, the fans keep spinning and the power LED indicator is on. No HDD activity. I can not recall the codes that are displayed on the MB.
I'll check next time and update this post with the information.

I emailed ASUS about this problem and they replied stating that I need to try the MB in a different system to see if it still happens. I've tried re-seating the RAM,
using one stick at a time, changed the sticks around, used another VGA card, different power supply and after all that work, it still happens.

So the next step is to contact a David by email that the ASUS tech support suggested, to get a RMA number so I can return the MB to get it checked out/replaced.

This is a real bummer, because I need my desktop for work and I can not really afford time off due to no PC, OH well, demz the braikz.

UPDATE the shop I purchased the MB is going to replace it once David gives me the RMA number by email. Yohoo!!

MyDNA wrote:
My motherboard is doing something similar, but it does startup and restart within windows OK. It just doesn't shutdown fully all the time, it's an intermediate problem.
I've updated the BIOS to the latest version, without a fix. The reset button on the motherboard and the one one the case doesn't always work either.
It happens only after the shutdown problem. Other times it shuts down fully and I can reset it if I want to.

When it doesn't shutdown fully, the fans keep spinning and the power LED indicator is on. No HDD activity. I can not recall the codes that are displayed on the MB.
I'll check next time and update this post with the information.

I emailed ASUS about this problem and they replied stating that I need to try the MB in a different system to see if it still happens. I've tried re-seating the RAM,
using one stick at a time, changed the sticks around, used another VGA card, different power supply and after all that work, it still happens.

So the next step is to contact a David by email that the ASUS tech support suggested, to get a RMA number so I can return the MB to get it checked out/replaced.

This is a real bummer, because I need my desktop for work and I can not really afford time off due to no PC, OH well, demz the braikz.

UPDATE the shop I purchased the MB is going to replace it once David gives me the RMA number by email. Yohoo!!

I am in the exact same situation, sometimes it will restart/shutdown 4 times in a row, then not for another 6 times or so... Wanted to use
the WoL, but this problem makes that useless. The same issue happens if you try to put it into sleep. The code displayed while it is running is A0, and when it is hung it's A0, so, yeah that helps me.

In the 20+ years I have been building systems, I have never witnessed a brand new build not restart or shutdown correctly... Are we going backwards?

I have tried every possible "fix" that I have been able to find over the past two weeks, and this is my first Asus board... It is not leaving a good taste in my mouth.

Chino
Level 15
Make sure you're running the latest BIOS. Uninstall AI Suite and the Intel RST software if you're using it. Clear your CMOS and test your system at stock default.

Chino wrote:
Make sure you're running the latest BIOS. Uninstall AI Suite and the Intel RST software if you're using it. Clear your CMOS and test your system at stock default.

I'll give it another go, did do some more research on different forums, one person it took 7 minutes for the computer to fully power down, turned out it was an old DVD
burner that was causing it.

And on another forum, it ended up being the power supply that wasn't allowing it to sleep correctly, I guess that sleep triggers under voltage protection on some..

I have plenty extra parts to try out also, if putting 1701 (was released yesterday, hoping it would fix it) on it again, and keeping it plain vanilla windows 10 doesn't work.

Thanks for the info.

yamatosan
Level 8
I still have a similar problem with shutdown.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.
I suspected my PSU in the beggining, but even when i change it i have this problem.
And sometimes, after about 10min, I either get a BSOD and restart either it just restart without saying anything.
Could be mainboard or just a software problem - my OS is Win 7 x64 Pro.
P.S. : All settings at stock. And my network "initialization" taking 1min to start (i mean i enter OS and takes 1min to start).

yamatosan wrote:
I still have a similar problem with shutdown.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.
I suspected my PSU in the beggining, but even when i change it i have this problem.
And sometimes, after about 10min, I either get a BSOD and restart either it just restart without saying anything.
Could be mainboard or just a software problem - my OS is Win 7 x64 Pro.
P.S. : All settings at stock. And my network "initialization" taking 1min to start (i mean i enter OS and takes 1min to start).

Mine does the network thing also, i'm on 10. If it sits at the lock screen the network icon is fine, once you log in it puts an exclamation point on it, Steam tries to load but can't
but can't due to it doing whatever the heck it does, then after about 10-20 seconds it goes away and works fine...

Ahh new technology bugs, it keeps some of us employed!

Hello.
I have a same problem likes you with Maximus VIII Ranger z170 motherboard. When i want to shutdown pc it is doesnt closing system. Waiting on the "windows shuting down" screen.
But when I try in AI suite select Dıgı VRAM OFF setting is OK closing right way. I hate whis way shuting down but it is work.